Minimal kit needed for a turbo specific bike

So really don’t want to keep using my expensive carbon frame on my turbo. My plan is to buy a cheap aluminium road bike frame and out the minimal stuff on it possible to keep costs down. I have a Tacx Neo 2 with ERG mode so don’t really need to change gear and don’t need a rear wheel. Would I need derailleurs if I have no need to change gear? Be really grateful if anyone has done this and could share their thoughts / setup to help decide. Many thanks.
Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work in Ladbrokes

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if you don't need to change gear on the bike at all then, essentially, all you need is a track bike kinda set up. No brakes, no gears, etc - just hoods to hold onto.

just get something from the dump, scrub clean, use that - no need to spend any money if you don't have to.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I'd probably say to fit some gears anyway. That lets you do stuff like Zwift sim mode should you want to, but also gives options for non-erg workouts, such as any FTP test which doesn't use a ramp test. Erg's also a bit crap for short, high power intervals regardless of how good the trainer is, it's better to do those in slope mode and use the gears to get the resistance right. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, find an old bike with 8 speed Claris or something and chuck some new cables on and that would more than do the job.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    If you're going that route down tube shifters are tbh
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    Don't you need the rear derailleur to keep the chain tight? There probably is another way to do it but the derailleur is likely the cheap/easy solution.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    You can fit a chain tensioner to a single speed, but I agree that for the extra few quid an old 8/9/10 speed mech with a single front chainring would be worth getting.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Yeah I'd want something with gears.

What's your budget, I had a look on facebook marketplace and there were dozens of road/racing bikes for sale locally for <£200.
  • Brilliant. Thanks all for your help.
    Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work in Ladbrokes