TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

Interesting on Netflix and ratings

That makes sense. I started watching Squid due to the hype. Half way though the first episode I realised that I didn't care about the characters and switched off. Still counts as a view.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Has anyone mentioned White Lotus? I /think/ I enjoyed it. Not absolutely sure though
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited October 2021
    davidof said:

daniel_b said:

I have now finished all of the Thou shalt not kill offerings on All4, and excellent it was too.
    It would seem that Amazon have a 4th season by the way, so not sure if that was the last one, or if it is back in production.

No no, it was canned, like I said on the previous page. Poor viewing figures, too depressing.

Look I'm sorry for your loss, does this help?

If you like pretty women police detectives there is: Le tueur du lac and Peur sur le lac. Both should be available with sub titles. It is pedestrian stuff but Julie de Bona is very easy on the eye. It has some of the film and production crew from Les Revenants who worked on it, which is obvious from the filmography which is top notch.

https://youtu.be/J-hNs2airW4

oh Les Revenants is worth watching, if you like gallic psychononsense hokum, it all kind of makes sense.

Gutted and very unjust - clearly a major crime has been committed here, now where is a fine detective when you need one eh.....?????
    How on earth did it have poor viewing figures, were people watching with their eyes shut?????

Julie is no Miriam, but yes I have seen all of those on All4 (Walter Presents) which is where I watched Thou shalt not kill. They were all a bit far fetched, but the scenery was pretty good, and I literally mean the scenery/locations where they were filmed before anyone chips in!
    If I recall correctly, the very first one had a different lead woman detective, and then Julie was parachuted in for the last 2 or 3 - I forget how many there were.

I saw Les Revenants series 1, but think I missed series 2 - I liked it.

For absolute quality French drama, I have to say I find it difficult to beat Spiral. Great actors, and great scripts, beautifully shot - very tense.

*Nice pic of Miriam by the way - she is clearly under utilised, why isn't she in more series - I think a major investigation should be carried out forthwith.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    Gotta say regarding the earlier poll that I am surprised the my favourite isn't in the running, Band Of Brothers. Disclaimer, you have to watch the pre and post episode bits with the real people to get the human aspect.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    pblakeney said:

Gotta say regarding the earlier poll that I am surprised the my favourite isn't in the running, Band Of Brothers. Disclaimer, you have to watch the pre and post episode bits with the real people to get the human aspect.

Superb series, I've got the box set and go through it all every couple of years. Probably the first of these big budget Hollywood style TV series I can recall watching
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    pblakeney said:

https://youtu.be/MTRZRRlA4sw

https://youtu.be/14i_1xx4u3I
    Crazy b@stard really did that!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    pblakeney said:

Not a 21st Century Production? (only just though)

Damn we're old :(

Completely agree with the sentiments though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Band of Brothers is in that top 100.

If you look at all the top 5 programmes, they all are programmes that don't stick to well worn tropes or your TV/Hollywood assumptions on how people should be.

I was a big fan, don't get me wrong, but it's basically a 10hr version of Saving Private Ryan, which defined how action would be done for the next decade (rather like Die Hard did 10/15 years before).

I didn't think it was especially ground breaking from a drama perspective. It was just really well done, and the action was phenomenal.
  • Pross

If you look at all the top 5 programmes, they all are programmes that don't stick to well worn tropes or your TV/Hollywood assumptions on how people should be.

I was a big fan, don't get me wrong, but it's basically a 10hr version of Saving Private Ryan, which defined how action would be done for the next decade (rather like Die Hard did 10/15 years before).

I didn't think it was especially ground breaking from a drama perspective. It was just really well done, and the action was phenomenal.

Surely the real stories and real characters plus the 'documentary' bits at the start were its USP?
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    Pross said:

Surely the real stories and real characters plus the 'documentary' bits at the start were its USP?
    Yeah. I am a bit cynical about those bits. It's a drama. "based on" does a lot of heavy lifting in these things.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

This. That it is true events with real people rather than just another action movie.
    The emphasis on real people if you've watched the documentary parts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

This. That it is true events with real people rather than just another action movie.
    The emphasis on real people if you've watched the documentary parts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    I got cynical about it when I noticed all the badly behaved Americans were never the ones that were being interviewed.

Then you imagine the writing process. Basically, the lads will outline roughly how they remember it happening, from 50-60 years ago, and then the writers get hold of it, and then the producers get hold of it, and then finally you have something that is, conveniently, very watchable.
  • The sequel / follow up from BoB wasn't nearly as good. The Pacific?
  • Pross

The sequel / follow up from BoB wasn't nearly as good. The Pacific?

Agreed, never really took to the characters and it just felt like "oh, the original idea was such a success - how can we milk it". Possibly tainted to a degree by my lack of knowledge of the war in the Pacific and the places it was set.
  • pblakeney

The sequel / follow up from BoB wasn't nearly as good. The Pacific?

Agreed. Never took to the characters. It's been a while but I seem to remember preferring Flags of Our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    I was slightly disappointed with Band of brothers. I was expecting a documentary about the Four Tops.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2021
    Ok I’m half way through squid games and I’m struggling to see why it is so popular.

Does anyone here like it?

It’s not that well acted, by the numbers, sort of wannabe battle royale but because it’s TV it’s strung out.
  • pblakeney
    I watched the first half of the first episode and switched off.
    Couldn't care less about the characters and the acting is woeful.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    An episode and a half here just to see what the fuss was about. Realised it wasn’t for me or going to get any better to justify the hype. As above, very familiar plot and not any better than its battle royale-esque predecessors. Where did the hype come from? Were the numbers manipulated by Netflix to keep it at number 1 in the viewing charts? If so, master stroke! Had an email from the boys junior school a couple of weeks ago stating that the kids are banned from playing squid games in the playground! There’s your audience.
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

An episode and a half here just to see what the fuss was about. Realised it wasn’t for me or going to get any better to justify the hype. As above, very familiar plot and not any better than its battle royale-esque predecessors. Where did the hype come from? Were the numbers manipulated by Netflix to keep it at number 1 in the viewing charts? If so, master stroke! Had an email from the boys junior school a couple of weeks ago stating that the kids are banned from playing squid games in the playground! There’s your audience.

Yes I suspect it's people who haven't seen anything better.
  • Pross
    Watched the first couple of episodes of Outlaws, partly as I like working out where in Bristol they are filming and partly as my daughter's job until recently was supervising community payback schemes. I was expecting a slightly entertaining, silly comedy but it actually has a bit more to it than that, will keep watching.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Pross said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Outlaws, partly as I like working out where in Bristol they are filming and partly as my daughter's job until recently was supervising community payback schemes. I was expecting a slightly entertaining, silly comedy but it actually has a bit more to it than that, will keep watching.

I'm very much enjoying this - as you say, it's not quite in the same vein as "Extras" or other Stephen Merchant stuff. Quite clever really
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    On the awesome Walter Presents, I have been watching Farang: Dead man running, a Swedish 8 part series set in Thailand.

I am half way through so far, but be warned I think it is only available on All4 until the end of the month, so if you want to watch it - you need to be fast.

Subtitles of course, but a surprising (to me) amount of english is used as well.

I'm rather enjoying it, no Miriam Leone sadly, but you can't have it all I guess :|

As far as I can see, only the one series made in 2017, so a one off by the looks of it, which I think is good, as it's kind of a unique situation they find themselves in, and if they extricate themselves, I can't see how they could logically run a second series out of it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    daniel_b said:

Subtitles of course, but a surprising (to me) amount of english is used as well.

You reminded me of this story:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/15/young-people-prefer-watching-tv-with-subtitles-more-than-older-viewers-15605242/
  • Really not enjoying the third season of Succession (up to episode 3). Filming in lockdown seems to have changed the whole feel of the show.
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

On the awesome Walter Presents, I have been watching Farang: Dead man running, a Swedish 8 part series set in Thailand.

I am half way through so far, but be warned I think it is only available on All4 until the end of the month, so if you want to watch it - you need to be fast.

I'm rather enjoying it, no Miriam Leone sadly, but you can't have it all I guess :|

As far as I can see, only the one series made in 2017, so a one off by the looks of it, which I think is good, as it's kind of a unique situation they find themselves in, and if they extricate themselves, I can't see how they could logically run a second series out of it.

Do enjoy a bit of Walter, wonder why I didn’t spot this earlier. I won’t have time to watch it by the end of the month 😕

Currently watching Before we die, Swedish original. Was enjoying it but one of the main characters you’re supposed to feel for is a snivelling little wimp so it’s taking me ages to watch as I have to turn it off every time he’s annoying me.
  • daniel_b
    That IS annoying, although to be fair I only stumbled on it as a post from the WP Facebook page popped up on my feed to say it was being removed at the end of the month, so thought I would give it a crack.
    Saw the final 2 this morning on an early doors turbo session, and thought it was excellent - they also worked a totally feasible way to make a 2nd series, but it's clearly not happened for some reason, perhaps partly pandemic related.

I tend to watch mostly the French, and Italian stuff on WP, but now I have enjoyed this so much I will look at more of the Scandinavian offerings.

This was a bit different with the Thai setting, so not grey, dark and cold of the likes I have seen in the Killing for example, or the Bridge.

Before we die sounds like it might be a challenge!

I have yet to watch Spiral series 8, so will probably go onto that next for Turbo trainer entertainment :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

That IS annoying, although to be fair I only stumbled on it as a post from the WP Facebook page popped up on my feed to say it was being removed at the end of the month, so thought I would give it a crack.
    Saw the final 2 this morning on an early doors turbo session, and thought it was excellent - they also worked a totally feasible way to make a 2nd series, but it's clearly not happened for some reason, perhaps partly pandemic related.

I tend to watch mostly the French, and Italian stuff on WP, but now I have enjoyed this so much I will look at more of the Scandinavian offerings.

This was a bit different with the Thai setting, so not grey, dark and cold of the likes I have seen in the Killing for example, or the Bridge.

Before we die sounds like it might be a challenge!

I have yet to watch Spiral series 8, so will probably go onto that next for Turbo trainer entertainment :)

I love the cold/snow dark of the Scandinavian dramas, the colder and snowier the better. Speaking of which, the first season of Trapped, Icelandic is good.