Rude cyclist who seem to think they are Pros and ignore you

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2021
    s1mples said:

Each to there their own I suppose. Enjoy your own social skills and be glad that you contribute to the well being of others who engage with your positive outlook. If you don't normally do it try it for a bit and see if you get any benefit... you may be surprised :smile:

Yes, but don't assume that you're interesting enough that other
    cyclists want to engage in chit-chat with you. ;) They may just want
    some time to themselves and get back to their lives after their ride.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Ignoring someone is everyone's prerogative. If it happens to you, don't take it personally. You may not be as interesting as you think you are to others. Move on and focus on something more important.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I just think I'm better than them and roll on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Think? Your ego needs some exercise. I know I am better
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Think? Your ego needs some exercise. I know I am better

Good point well presented. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Got my retaliation in first yesterday on a long ride and managed to ignore at least 50 of the rude whatsits.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Classic yesterday on my lunch break. Trying to go as hard as I can up a small hill - it’s a 2-2:30 effort, made harder by doing it on a single speed.

There’s a steeper bit right near the top and it’s flat out out of the saddle just to keep the pedals turning - properly gassed at this point.

Man coming the other way waves and there is no chance I am taking my hands off the bar to wave as I am on the limit of keeping it going.

Looked cheesed off
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

Classic yesterday on my lunch break. Trying to go as hard as I can up a small hill - it’s a 2-2:30 effort, made harder by doing it on a single speed.

There’s a steeper bit right near the top and it’s flat out out of the saddle just to keep the pedals turning - properly gassed at this point.

Man coming the other way waves and there is no chance I am taking my hands off the bar to wave as I am on the limit of keeping it going.

Looked cheesed off

You live in Cambridge Rick, there are no hills! B)
  • Classic yesterday on my lunch break. Trying to go as hard as I can up a small hill - it’s a 2-2:30 effort, made harder by doing it on a single speed.

Looked cheesed off

It's a myth that there are no hills in Cambridgeshire. I live there too, and know of several like Rick describes (I'm wondering if I know it). A couple peak at around 16 -18%. Short but sharp, though it's true there are no long, steady grinds - 2 or 3 kms at 5% for instance - that I know of.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’ve never seen a road with a 5% sign, would that not be just a bit of drag.
  • webboo said:

I’ve never seen a road with a 5% sign, would that not be just a bit of drag.

I don't think they put them up for less than 10%.
  • Ricks hill is basically Sawyers hill in RP.

There are a couple of short climbs like Dark Hill / Wimbledon Hill / Broomfield also very closeby.
  • Ricks hill is basically Sawyers hill in RP.

There are a couple of short climbs like Dark Hill / Wimbledon Hill / Broomfield also very closeby.

Are you sure? None of those are Cambridge. Since posting earlier, I had a look at his Strava page, which shows his lunchtime ride yesterday took him up the hill at Wort's Causeway, south of Cambridge. One that gets me a bit breathless too. Barrington Hill is another.
  • Chapel Hill on one side is like Dark Hill, the other is like Broomfield! It's in Haslingfield, I think?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Looked cheesed off

There aren't really any in Dorset either! Well maybe a couple. :wink:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Oh see what you mean. Like, but not actually. I don't know those hills, never having ridden in the London area.

Yes, that's the road. Personally I find the Haslingfield to Barrington side shorter but steeper than the other side.

Anyway, though Cambridge itself very flat, once you start heading east towards Newmarket, the roads get more rolling. It flattens out again the other side of Bury St. Edmunds.
  • rick_chasey
    Nah it’s the CCC “climb” up one of the gogmagogs. Fairly near to Adenbrooks. Like I said it’s 2 to 2 and a half minutes full gas which I go up on 48x16.

It has a couple of 8% ramps but they last literally 50-100m max.

It feels like a hill on an SS. That’s about it, but I empty everything I have up it.
  • It's basically the same as Sawyers Hill in RP
  • rick_chasey

It's basically the same as Sawyers Hill in RP

Yeah probably.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

It's basically the same as Sawyers Hill in RP

Sawyers False Flat?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Nah it’s the CCC “climb” up one of the gogmagogs. Fairly near to Adenbrooks. Like I said it’s 2 to 2 and a half minutes full gas which I go up on 48x16.

It feels like a hill on an SS. That’s about it, but I empty everything I have up it.

Yes, I ride up that from time to time. It's fairly flat at first but with a couple of short, steep bits towards the top, as you say.

Your pb is about a minute quicker than mine, though in my defence I live some way west of Cambridge, and when I go that way it's part of a much longer ride, so I've already done about 25 miles and I'm trying to save energy for another 50 to 75. I don't think I've ever tried to go up it flat out.

What's an SS?
  • Nah it’s the CCC “climb” up one of the gogmagogs. Fairly near to Adenbrooks. Like I said it’s 2 to 2 and a half minutes full gas which I go up on 48x16.

What's an SS?
    SS = Single Speed

I wondered wot 'RP' was... "It's basically the same as Sawyers Hill in RP"

• rick_chasey

Nah it’s the CCC “climb” up one of the gogmagogs. Fairly near to Adenbrooks. Like I said it’s 2 to 2 and a half minutes full gas which I go up on 48x16.

What's an SS?
    SS = Single Speed

Richmond Park

What's an SS?
    SS = Single Speed

Oh yes, of course. RP took me a while, but I worked it out eventually.

What's an SS?
    SS = Single Speed

Richmond Park

Arh! Thank you @rick_chasey Long time since I've been darn sowf ;)

• rick_chasey
    edited October 2021

Your pb is about a minute quicker than mine, though in my defence I live some way west of Cambridge, and when I go that way it's part of a much longer ride, so I've already done about 25 miles and I'm trying to save energy for another 50 to 75. I don't think I've ever tried to go up it flat out.

Yeah, it's not the same as me heading out straight to the hill, bombing up it as hard as I can so I can't see by the time I get to the top and then heading straight down again. And doing that quite often during lunches means I can catch the tasty tailwind too when they occur.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, I was at the "struggling to see" bit, out of the saddle, when I passed the guy, who waved so I'm sure he thought I was a chump.
  • He'd be right either way ;)
  • ..sure many guys are great, friendly and helpful. But I cant help but notice there are a great deal of utter nobs when it comes to cycling - forgive my tone. I said hello on my 30 mile ride earlier to about 20 cyclists who were pottering along and never even said hello back or in any way acknowledged my wave to a fellow cyclist. Other did of course. Couple of mates say likewise.

Rude people and I suppose they are in all walks of life.

I don't bother nodding, waving or saying anything to any cyclist unless they initiate it. There's far too many in a city the size of Toronto.

That being said, there's a heap of assholes out there who need to be taught how to ride a bike. They're dangerous, and totally disrespectful as to who's around them.

I see this totally disrespectful and dangerous behaviour on paved bike trails where all manner and capability of cyclists, sometimes roller bladers, scooters and pedestrians congregate for some exercise. I wish there was a totally 100% dedicated bike path system in the city but there isn't. They're considered multi-use.

Seeing these guys decked out like they practicing for the Tour and basting along at near 40km/hr when clearly restraint is required really pisses me off. I use to race, and I've been into the road bike thing for over forty years. Many of these guys just got on the latest fad and haven't a clue. Some even have the gall to draft you!