Spokesman Wheels, Kinetic One & Prime BlackEdition Wheels

Cycling556
Cycling556 Posts: 7
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello, I am new to cycling and want to upgrade my wheels. I am interested in purchasing a wheelset from http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk or Kinetic-one.co.uk. can anyone comment on either of these wheel builders products? Looking at 38, 50 or 60mm carbon tubular or clincher but would like to hear peoples opinions of their products before deciding. On a budget so looking at those wheel builders or Prime BlackEdition 50 or 60 from Wiggle or Chain Reaction Cycles. If anyone has any thoughts on those, I'd like to hear also?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes, I had a set of carbon clinchers from Spokesman and couldn't fault them. I was about to buy another set from him when a new set of Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro UST from an online retailer landed in my hands for less money. Right place, right time.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Yes, I had a set of carbon clinchers from Spokesman and couldn't fault them. I was about to buy another set from him when a new set of Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro UST from an online retailer landed in my hands for less money. Right place, right time.

Thanks for reply. Are they good quality and safe? How would they compare to the the Mavics out of curiousity?
  • I recently bought a set of 38mm disc wheels from Spokesman, built on Hope RS4 hubs with Sapim c x ray spokes, Can't fault the wheels, excellent communication from Mark and a good price. Turnaround was a little over a week.

They are fairly light too for disc wheels, I weighed them at just under 1450g inc. rim tape (was quoted about 1450g). I went for Hope as I have previous experience of them on other handbuilt wheels and have found them to be great. My Trek Emonda SL6 disc is posted in the 'your road bikes' section, with the wheels fitted.

Not sure exactly what Spokesman wheels/build you are looking at though, so can't comment on his cheaper or rim brake builds!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Cycling556 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Thanks for reply. Are they good quality and safe? How would they compare to the the Mavics out of curiousity?

As I said, I couldn't fault them. Mark knew his stuff and was very good with advice on a build to suit my needs. Comparing them to the Mavics isn't possible as a) the Mavics are tubeless and b) it was 2014 when I bought the wheels from Mark and I sold them on in 2017 when I bought some Shimano C35s. A lot of time and technology has gone under the bridge since then. However, if I didn't have the Mavics now, I wouldn't hesitate buying from Mark again. Incidentally, the wheels I sold are still going strong as I ride now again with the guy I sold them to. He loves them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I bought a pair of 50mm disc wheels from Spokesman in October last year. Was very useful discussing build options with him. Weight is reasonable, and they're really nice to ride. I went for Bitex hubs and cx-ray spokes, and were built within the week. Am considering getting a pair of his 30mm deep but wide gravel carbon disc wheels now.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Cycling556 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

As I said, I couldn't fault them. Mark knew his stuff and was very good with advice on a build to suit my needs. Comparing them to the Mavics isn't possible as a) the Mavics are tubeless and b) it was 2014 when I bought the wheels from Mark and I sold them on in 2017 when I bought some Shimano C35s. A lot of time and technology has gone under the bridge since then. However, if I didn't have the Mavics now, I wouldn't hesitate buying from Mark again. Incidentally, the wheels I sold are still going strong as I ride now again with the guy I sold them to. He loves them.

Thanks, great to hear that they are still going strong. Appreciate the response.
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    I bought a pair of 50mm disc wheels from Spokesman in October last year. Was very useful discussing build options with him. Weight is reasonable, and they're really nice to ride. I went for Bitex hubs and cx-ray spokes, and were built within the week. Am considering getting a pair of his 30mm deep but wide gravel carbon disc wheels now.

Thanks a million for your input. I am going to purchase I think, will go for the novatec hubs and cx-ray spokes.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I don't have Spokesman wheels but have heard nothing but good comments from some club mates who do have them.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I recently bought a set of 38mm disc wheels from Spokesman, built on Hope RS4 hubs with Sapim c x ray spokes, Can't fault the wheels, excellent communication from Mark and a good price. Turnaround was a little over a week.

They are fairly light too for disc wheels, I weighed them at just under 1450g inc. rim tape (was quoted about 1450g). I went for Hope as I have previous experience of them on other handbuilt wheels and have found them to be great. My Trek Emonda SL6 disc is posted in the 'your road bikes' section, with the wheels fitted.

Not sure exactly what Spokesman wheels/build you are looking at though, so can't comment on his cheaper or rim brake builds!

Thanks for your response. I'll look up your bike. I'll be looking at a set of 50mm rim brake carbon tubulars weighing just under 1300g.
  • handful wrote:
    I don't have Spokesman wheels but have heard nothing but good comments from some club mates who do have them.

Great to hear. Thanks a million for the reply.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    edited October 2021
    @bianchi_dave @luv2ride - sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm looking for lightweight 20-40mm depth carbon clincher wheels on a disc braked bike, and came across this thread.

I've dropped Mark an e-mail to see if he could knock something up at around or just under the 1400g (or even lighter) mark, but just wanted to check you chaps were still happy with the wheels?

His prices appear to be pretty reasonable, and a small discount on ebay prices when dealing direct.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

@bianchi_dave @luv2ride - sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm looking for lightweight 20-40mm depth carbon clincher wheels on a disc braked bike, and came across this thread.

I've dropped Mark an e-mail to see if he could knock something up at around or just under the 1400g (or even lighter) mark, but just wanted to check you chaps were still happy with the wheels?

His prices appear to be pretty reasonable, and a small discount on ebay prices when dealing direct.

My 38s are still going strong, no issues whatsoever, bearings still good (Hope RS4 centrelock hubs). I do sometimes wish I went for 50mm over the 38s but of course in this price range it means sacrificing weight.

For instance my Roval Rapide CLXs on my Addict RC are only 1400g but with 51/60 depth. They're also much wider (35mm front/30.7mm rear) so are perfect with 28mm tyres. Not really fair to compare them with the Spokesman though, as they're a completely different price point.

I haven't looked at Spokesman's range for a while so not sure on the current widths. I run 25mm GP5000 clinchers on mine - not a tyre which comes up large but are about flush with the rim. No question a 28 would balloon and you don't want that (either for crosswind stability or aero).

New wheels for a certain bright yellow Addict RC by any chance? :p
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the reply, and yes that would be the destination steed :-)

I have a list of parts to try and lighten it.

Integrated bars/stem, pedals (looking for some superlight Look ones if I can prove the 4iiii crank will fit on and clear the stay), Berk saddle from my CR1, and of course wheels.

I have 6.7s on my Foil, I really think something 30-38 is what I want for this, as I want to try and make as light as possible, within reason - long time in the future a groupset change would be on the cards as well.

I don't think I would put Rovals on it (no offence) as I just associate them with Specialized, although I appreciate that is a hell of a light weight for that depth!

Mark has come back already with this reply which is pretty encouraging:

"You are unlikely to get a pair of disc brake wheels which weigh less than 1320g unless you either go to Lightweight and spend a lot or change to tubular rims.

Depending on what width of tyre you want to use, we can build either 30mm deep x 30mm wide (22mm internal width) carbon disc brake wheels which weigh 1340g and would be £708 (+ £14 delivery if needed) with black spokes and nipples or 30mm deep x 25mm wide (18mm internal width) which weigh 1395g and cost £656 (+£14 delivery if needed).

Tune or Extralite hubs could shave around 100g off these and would increase the cost by around £300."

So if I read that correctly, the first set he mentioned with the Tune or Extralite hubs, could be circa 1250g, which would be awesome, and approx nearly a 500g saving on the factory wheels.
    Plus they have fairly hefty tyres I gather, and I'd be moving probably to 25s (I'm old school) and latex tubes, so that could well save a further 300g, and then I think the bars and saddle would likely lop another 2-300g off of that, so I could well be in the early 7s by that point, which would be my target :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Sounds good, and Mark is very helpful. The Addict RC can build up very light, with a few choice upgrades as you say. I'm still on the lookout for the Creston ic sl bars/stem but sold out everywhere in the UK (in the size I'm after). Some good options and prices from EU shops, even taking account of the extra fees.
    Decisions.....
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Have a pair of Mark's 38mm Carbonal clincher rims on Hope hubs that I have been very happy with. Tensions were good and even right from the start (I did measure them) and they've remained tight and true ever since. I'd certainly recomand him, the only reason I haven't bought more from him is I taught myself to build my own.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021

Sounds good, and Mark is very helpful. The Addict RC can build up very light, with a few choice upgrades as you say. I'm still on the lookout for the Creston ic sl bars/stem but sold out everywhere in the UK (in the size I'm after). Some good options and prices from EU shops, even taking account of the extra fees.
    Decisions.....

Balfe's bikes are going to source mine, and say they can get stock in 400/100 before Christmas.

I suspect Westbrook and the like are probably the same, you might just need to drop them a line to see if you can pre-order to secure a set.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    edited October 2021
    daniel_b said:

Sounds good, and Mark is very helpful. The Addict RC can build up very light, with a few choice upgrades as you say. I'm still on the lookout for the Creston ic sl bars/stem but sold out everywhere in the UK (in the size I'm after). Some good options and prices from EU shops, even taking account of the extra fees.
    Decisions.....

Balfe's bikes are going to source mine, and say they can get stock in 400/100 before Christmas.

I suspect Westbrook and the like are probably the same, you might just need to drop them a line to see if you can pre-order to secure a set.
    Good to know, cheers. I'm still undecided on 400/100 or 380/100. Bear in mind the Creston ic sl bar section has 5mm more reach than the standard alloy ic, so a 100 is more like a 105, when compared to the standard alloy bars/stem.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    yep I'm aware of that 5mm difference, though officially they say there is none.....

I've yet to take the Addict out, so need a bit of time to swap the saddle over, and see how it feels, and then guage what bars I need size wise - are you thinking 380 purely because you are narrow in the shoulders and it will be more aero?
    Also a tiny bit lighter too I guess!

I should really measure up my Foil, as that is currently my most comfortable bike, but in theory, from reading the reviews, the Addict should be even more so.

Is yours a 54 that came with a 110 (56 does as well I think) stem? If so, you are thinking along similar lines to me, and about reducing the reach by circa 5mm.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I had a set of 380mm Vision carbon bars on my Emonda, but have moved them across to Foil as I needed a longer stem (it's only a 52cm frame). So my rr1.0 combo is now surplus. I originally bought 380 just to try out, and really like them, even though I'm not particularly narrow in the shoulders. They will be slightly more aero, but on steep out of saddle efforts I sometimes think 400 is the way to go!

My Addict RC is a 54 and came with a 110 stem. I certainly don't want anymore reach, hence if moving to ic sl I'd need to go 5mm shorter. A bit annoying the bars are different reach. I guess such a small difference can be compensated by moving the hoods slightly, but that may bring its own issues with set up.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10