Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    pinno said:

Lovely ride taken at a slow, bog trot, geriatric's pace which was great 'cos it was twice as fast as the last ride.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    I need to get to know my neighbours just around the corner better. This was theirs.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Wow! That estimate looks a little low with hindsight.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    The cloudy pattern made by adding a dash of milk to tea/coffee - fleeting but pleasing
  • briantrumpet

Wow! That estimate looks a little low with hindsight.

The owners had no idea how much it was worth... to the extent they just carried it up the street a few years ago when they moved.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Watching contestants on University Challenge smugly and confidently give an answer that is wrong. Even better when they give some really complicated answer when the actual answer was far more simple.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Went kayaking yesterday in Berwick. Unexpected sunshine. Unexpected bird colony. Unexpected navigable tributary.
  • pinno
    As long as you didn't end up in the North sea 'cos that if frikkin ccccold.
    Tried it this summer in a thick wet suit and it was... frikkin ccccold. Whereas the Tyne was lovely.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    pinno said:

As long as you didn't end up in the North sea 'cos that if frikkin ccccold.
    Tried it this summer in a thick wet suit and it was... frikkin ccccold. Whereas the Tyne was lovely.

No, we stayed on the water, not in it. And we went the other way.
  • briantrumpet
    Installing the Radio France app on the Amazon Fire I'd bought for my mum (never got used): the themed internet channels on France Musique are brilliant for classical, jazz & baroque music, with no news and no chat or endless trailers for other programmes you get on Radio 3. Having been a R3 listener all my life (quite literally - I'm pretty sure it would have been on on the old valve radio the day I was brought back from the maternity hospital), it's gone off in the search for new audiences, and lost me.

Even better, it's paid for by French taxpayers :)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610

Just look at that! See what gravel bikes can get you? From Rosie Baxendine, check her out on the soshuls.

xxxx I want to move back to Scotland 😊
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Just look at that! See what gravel bikes can get you? From Rosie Baxendine, check her out on the soshuls.

xxxx I want to move back to Scotland 😊

...and think of battling into a headwind and driving rain up that valley.
  • briantrumpet
    Getting all the pieces of the jigsaw in place to drive, ride, fly, train, train and walk to the French house for Christmas, and escape this septic isle (assuming I'm still allowed out by then).
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Buying a KitKat (because it seems healthier?!) and discovering that one of the fingers is all chocolate. Bonus
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    mr_eddy said:

Buying a KitKat (because it seems healthier?!) and discovering that one of the fingers is all chocolate. Bonus

You mean to say that you've found the million pound prize winning solid chocolate KitKat finger??

Hang on, you haven't eaten it have you?

• pinno
    Willy Wonka's revenge.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Chelsea putting 7 past the Tractor Boys :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Stevo_666 said:

I'd avoid East Anglia if I were you, The Tractor Boys are Ipswich Town not Norwich!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,610
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'd avoid East Anglia if I were you, The Tractor Boys are Ipswich Town not Norwich!
    It's all those Chelsea tractors that's got him confused.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah, as someone from Norfolk we have been called the carrot crunchers, the sister shaggers, the pig f***ers and for a Bernard Matthews reference...the turkey stranglers. The tractor boys are the other lot.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    edited October 2021
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Djenne mosque is not round.

Mosques generally are not round due to the prescribed method of worship. There's probably a PhD thesis in the influence of Greek and Roman architecture on the Abrahamic religious practices.

In Western Europe for instance, churches are based on the form of the basilica because that was the (secular) building that early Christianity adopted, whereas in Eastern Europe churches evolved from the form of 'martyria'.
    It was more the point that structurally it can be big and not round and even in Africa.

But yes, Mecca is the only place with round praying.
    Oh, absolutely. Masonry or timber frame construction doesn't preclude round buildings either.

Intriguingly there is a cluster of round church towers in East Anglia.
    One right in the centre of Cambridge no less

12th century.

I may be an atheist but I loves me a church.
  • Stevo_666

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yeah, as someone from Norfolk we have been called the carrot crunchers, the sister shaggers, the pig f***ers and for a Bernard Matthews reference...the turkey stranglers. The tractor boys are the other lot.
    High Six ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's all those Chelsea tractors that's got him confused.
    Too many goals scrambled my brain :)
  • briantrumpet

Ditto, and that's having spent seemingly half my life in them for one reason or another.

They are an extraordinary legacy of how past societies organised themselves, and contain so much evidence of the skills and visions of past generations, it's hard not to be moved by them, even without the mumbo jumbo. I'm often more moved by the humble and naïve than the immense cathedrals. But whatever size they are, they are wonderful spaces to explore, and to help us realise how transient we all are.

Here endeth today's lesson.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

Ditto, and that's having spent seemingly half my life in them for one reason or another.

They are an extraordinary legacy of how past societies organised themselves, and contain so much evidence of the skills and visions of past generations, it's hard not to be moved by them, even without the mumbo jumbo. I'm often more moved by the humble and naïve than the immense cathedrals. But whatever size they are, they are wonderful spaces to explore, and to help us realise how transient we all are.

Can you imagine someone today pitching a new build incorporating such levels of pointless intricacies? Not to mention, I doubt the skillset still exists in sufficient numbers.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Can you imagine someone today pitching a new build incorporating such levels of pointless intricacies? Not to mention, I doubt the skillset still exists in sufficient numbers.

Well there is the Segrada Familia, and Liverpool Cathedral, as 'modern' examples, though I'll grant you that they were started a long time before they were finished (and I'm not sure if SF is actually finished yet).
  • briantrumpet
    But, yes, it's unlikely that even a single small village in Devon (for instance) would build anything like that now. But look at the map of listed churches in Devon, and you see what a legacy we have.

https://devonchurchland.co.uk/the-guide-to-devon-churches/
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Well there is the Segrada Familia, and Liverpool Cathedral, as 'modern' examples, though I'll grant you that they were started a long time before they were finished (and I'm not sure if SF is actually finished yet).
    Which is why I said pitching it today. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

I bet you there's a legion of people with the right skillsets brought together in a bid to restore Notre Dame.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I bet you there's a legion of people with the right skillsets brought together in a bid to restore Notre Dame.
    Primarily the roof though.
    There was a reason I said pitch a new build today. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: