Rims wanted

Recommend me some lightweight rims, 16-hole front, 20-hole rear.

Thanks.

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Yes, should have added. I'm after replacing the worn Dura Ace 7850-C24-CL rims.
    LBS can't get hold of them, and as the hubs are still silky-smooth, I'd like to keep them. 16-hole front / 20-hole rear.

For summer non-audax bike.

I'm 74 kg in weight (if that helps).
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    edited October 2021
    Spa Cycles have an RS80 20R and Dura Ace 16F that might allow you to re-lace the hubs with the same spokes. They're not cheap though.

They also have white RS21 rims that you may be able to get to work.

Otherwise you'll need to use deep section carbon rims to get stiff wheels with only 16F/20R spokes. Getting spoke lengths correct will be tricky too. Check out Aliexpress for decent cheap carbon rims, but reusing these hubs with other rims and spokes is perhaps not as great an idea as you think.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2021
    Thanks for the tip about the White RS21 rims. In my naivety, I always thought hubs (providing they were still 'silky-smooth') could still be reused. The intention was always to use new spokes.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    de_sisti said:

Thanks for the tip about the White RS21 rims. In my naivety, I always thought hubs (providing they were still 'silky-smooth') could still be reused. The intention was always to use new spokes.

A decent plan in general, but it's not so simple with these hubs since they have very few holes and require straight pull spokes. The straight pull spokes make it hard to get the lengths right, and the low spoke count makes it's difficult to build a stiff wheel, especially with low profile rims.

I doubt if these RS21 rims are particular light since the RS21 was a budget wheelset, which probably used thick heavy spokes for stiffness.

If you are set on re-using these hubs I would be more inclined to get a set of carbon rims from Ali Express and let your wheel builder work out what spokes are needed.

I built these 1336g wheels from AE sourced rims for £380 and that was using relatively expensive CX-Ray spokes.