BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited October 2021
    I think his conclusion was that low skilled wages would suffer a decrease of 1-3%, but he considers that to be small. This is inline with the BoE study which said 2% for every 10% that a sector is made up of immigration.

The skilled all make more money.

Take a guess who supports what.
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I wonder if these temporary relaxations will get extended, and then extended again. And then again. Until we're essentially just allowing EU citizens to work in the UK, without the reciprocal right for UK citizens.

It is certainly going to blunt wage increases in low paid sectors and business interest in automation where this is practical. Not a great legacy on Brexit.
    So the recent Nobel prize winning economist has empirical evidence that says this isn’t true but ok.
    Your fella may be an economist who won a Nobel prize but he did not win it for his work in the field of economics as there is not a Nobel Prize for economics.

A little known fact that will get you critical acclaim down the pub.
    What's this then?

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/2021/press-release/
    https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/

In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank (Sweden’s central bank) established the Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, founder of the Nobel Prize. The Prize is based on a donation received by the Nobel Foundation in 1968 from Sveriges Riksbank on the occasion of the Bank’s 300th anniversary. The first Prize in Economic Sciences was awarded to Ragnar Frisch and Jan Tinbergen in 1969.

The Prize in Economic Sciences is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden, according to the same principles as for the Nobel Prizes that have been awarded since 1901.
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

I wonder if these temporary relaxations will get extended, and then extended again. And then again. Until we're essentially just allowing EU citizens to work in the UK, without the reciprocal right for UK citizens.

It is certainly going to blunt wage increases in low paid sectors and business interest in automation where this is practical. Not a great legacy on Brexit.
    So the recent Nobel prize winning economist has empirical evidence that says this isn’t true but ok.
    Your fella may be an economist who won a Nobel prize but he did not win it for his work in the field of economics as there is not a Nobel Prize for economics.

There is, but it's got a slightly different name.
    The Prize in Economic Sciences is awarded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden, according to the same principles as for the Nobel Prizes that have been awarded since 1901.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited October 2021
    *eyeroll* OK SC. Forgive me for thinking the "nobel prize" website and the press referring to it as the "nobel prize in economics", operating it in exactly the same manner as a nobel prize is a nobel prize.

I suspect you're the type who insists in pub quizzes the Hague is actually the capital of Netherlands as that is where the royalty and parliament reside.
  • TheBigBean
    Well, I've had that argument about Bolivia.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

*eyeroll* OK SC. Forgive me for thinking the "nobel prize" website and the press referring to it as the "nobel prize in economics", operating it in exactly the same manner as a nobel prize is a nobel prize.

I suspect you're the type who insists in pub quizzes the Hague is actually the capital of Netherlands as that is where the royalty and parliament reside.

Do you mean Holland?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    edited October 2021
    Wrong thread.
  • *eyeroll* OK SC. Forgive me for thinking the "nobel prize" website and the press referring to it as the "nobel prize in economics", operating it in exactly the same manner as a nobel prize is a nobel prize.

Bizarrely I am not that person but on here I find the level of pedantry and pinhead dancing incredible so thought i would join in with one of the few I know.

Next time you meet a Nobel Prize winning economist ask them what subject they won it in.
  • Well, I've had that argument about Bolivia.

The only people I know who could name a city in Bolivia have watched too much Butch Cassidy
  • TheBigBean

The only people I know who could name a city in Bolivia have watched too much Butch Cassidy
    I don't know what Butch Cassidy is.
  • Well, I've had that argument about Bolivia.

I don't know what Butch Cassidy is.
    The best western ever made. They go on the run to Bolivia.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Apparently he may have survived - DNA tests showed Cassidy and Sundance weren't buried in the Bolivian graves they were thought to be - and lived out his life into old age.

Sounds an interesting character - I read he had a lot of sympathisers because he never killed anybody - I thought that was an unusually low bar.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

I think his conclusion was that low skilled wages would suffer a decrease of 1-3%, but he considers that to be small. This is inline with the BoE study which said 2% for every 10% that a sector is made up of immigration.

Given how many people on here like to get all upset about a 1% lower GDP increase year on year that may be the result of Brexit I am surprised they are not more upset about the low skilled being done over by 1-3% on wages due to immigration. They are probably the people that see an across the board 3% wage increase as good as they are at the top of the pay scale and can't understand the complaint of the guy on half their wage.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Or occasionally read about the South American Football championships and look at why Bolivia do so well at home compared to away.

https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecommunication/2020/10/06/the-breathtaking-football-of-bolivia/

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Or occasionally read about the South American Football championships and look at why Bolivia do so well at home compared to away.

https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecommunication/2020/10/06/the-breathtaking-football-of-bolivia/

maybe written by TBB?
    Estadio Hernando Siles, located in La Paz, one of Bolivia’s capital cities
  • TheBigBean

elbowloh said:

maybe written by TBB?
    Estadio Hernando Siles, located in La Paz, one of Bolivia’s capital cities
    Sucre is at only 2,800m, so in the perennial capital battle it would be conceding an advantage for the national football team.
  • john80 said:

Given how many people on here like to get all upset about a 1% lower GDP increase year on year that may be the result of Brexit I am surprised they are not more upset about the low skilled being done over by 1-3% on wages due to immigration. They are probably the people that see an across the board 3% wage increase as good as they are at the top of the pay scale and can't understand the complaint of the guy on half their wage.
    The people who get upset understand compound growth
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

There is, but it's got a slightly different name.
    Like I said.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
  • john80

john80 said:

Yet those people are happy for people on low wages to have compound growth work against them compared to the more well off. I wonder why.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Tbf, it was announced Friday morning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

Yet those people are happy for people on low wages to have compound growth work against them compared to the more well off. I wonder why.
    Can you really not see the difference between wages being reduced by 1-3% and wage growth being reduced by 1-3% a year?
  • pblakeney said:

Tbf, it was announced Friday morning.
    And that tweet is 6:38pm on Thursday.
  • john80
    edited October 2021

john80 said:

john80 said:

Can you really not see the difference between wages being reduced by 1-3% and wage growth being reduced by 1-3% a year?
    I will help you out. Minimum wage gets a 1-3% uplift every year and a guy on double his wage gets the same yearly uplift. After ten years how does this look between the two examples given. This was my original point that I have now put in numbers to you.

• rick_chasey
    Tito was communist, ya know.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    edited October 2021
    Focused on the things that really matter...

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    People were wondering what's next...

Do Waitrose Pies come in tin foil?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    edited October 2021
    ddraver said:

People were wondering what's next...

Do Waitrose Pies come in tin foil?