Making a claim on a warranty replacement

Bought bike in May 2018
RS505 left shifter trashed in Oct 19 (see https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13089841/rs505-cable-guides-a-cautionary-tale)
Warranty replacement arrived Dec 19
Warranty replacement RS505 left shifter trashed in Sept 21 (same problem as before)

I wouldn't care, but I checked the shifters and despite all appearing well I replaced both cable guides in July - all for nothing.

CRC and Shimano's warranty is 2 years, I'm just checking what the consensus is on if the replacement should be covered from Dec 19 or the bike purchase date?

Cheers

Comments

• It is usually 2 years from date of purchase. You can try it and see but I would expect them to refuse.
  • Replacements normally have shorter warranty with most retailers normally 90 days I'm unsure how shimano do it
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    2 years. Its a new part.

keep the docs when you get it - email exchange will suffice - and all will be well.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Nothing to do with your claim, but I'm wondering how you are managing to eat through shifters so quickly? I have exactly the same on my 2018 Felt. I saw the post you linked above and thought I had better change my guides as I have had the bike for over 2 years of winter rides and commuting. Mine were barely worn at all, but as I was re-cabling at the time I changed them anyway.

Good luck with the claim.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

It is usually 2 years from date of purchase. You can try it and see but I would expect them to refuse.

This.
    From my understanding (and experience) the warranty is from date of purchase and not extended in the event of a replacement being required.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I went through a spate of kettles failing within a year. First one bought from Argos. Returned , got a different one, new receipt and full warranty period applied. Repeat. Probably 4 times.
    So in a similar vein, I would expect your replacement to have a full warranty period applied. Obviously you need to evidence the replacement not just wave your original receipt.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Thought I'd follow up on this to praise CRC.

It's taken a month, but CRC have been as good as gold and have replaced with R7020 shifters.

A little back and forth - Shimano wouldn't play ball saying user/ installation error - but CRC have come through with a gesture of goodwill.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Nothing to do with your claim, but I'm wondering how you are managing to eat through shifters so quickly? I have exactly the same on my 2018 Felt. I saw the post you linked above and thought I had better change my guides as I have had the bike for over 2 years of winter rides and commuting. Mine were barely worn at all, but as I was re-cabling at the time I changed them anyway.

Good luck with the claim.

Shimano seem to have the same questions as you......
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Haha - in my defence, the shifter came with cable pre-installed, and failed at almost the exact age/ mileage as first time round (which had been installed by CRC mechanic).

There's definitely an issue with that particular model.

Now I just have to source some compatible calipers...