Ribble SL Disc

My new machine arrived yesterday. looking forward to the weekend so I can set it up properly and get some miles under it's belt :)

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Smart
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Nice.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    And here's one I made earlier...

Switched out the 2kg Aksiums for Prime 38mm carbons, changed to Prime aero stem & bars, tan wall Clement tyres (which look good, but will change as a bit draggy).

Will add in the next few weeks a Chinese oversized pulley wheel (mainly so I can run an 11-32 without a long cage mech) and some GP5000s.

Pleased so far, almost too good for its intended year round take anywhere training bike brief.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    What a transformation. Looks sensational.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398

Switched out the 2kg Aksiums for Prime 38mm carbons, changed to Prime aero stem & bars, tan wall Clement tyres (which look good, but will change as a bit draggy).

Will add in the next few weeks a Chinese oversized pulley wheel (mainly so I can run an 11-32 without a long cage mech) and some GP5000s.

Pleased so far, almost too good for its intended year round take anywhere training bike brief.

Looks great, couldn't stretch to the carbon rims just yet, but is definitely an upgrade for the future. Do like the look of the tan walls so that might be an earlier investment
  • Hi, lovely looking bikes the pair of 'em!
    Was looking at the Ribble range recently - what sort of overall weight are they (size?)?

Thanks.......
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Nice, but how long is that stem?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • super_davo
    It's a 130mm. I'm between a small and a medium so went with the smaller frame with a longer stem. Gone the other way on other bikes and then couldn't get low enough, but definitely wouldn't have been an issue with the Endurance. It's got a properly short head tube and aggresive geometry despite the name.
  • super_davo

Hi, lovely looking bikes the pair of 'em!
    Was looking at the Ribble range recently - what sort of overall weight are they (size?)?

Thanks.......

It's not light in 105 SL disc trim... my small was close to 9kg stock. I haven't weighed it since I switched out the Aksiums which are pretty heavy, probably brings mine to around 8.5.

If you want a lightweight climbing bike, this is not it (although to be fair that's the same for most disc braked bikes unless you are spending megabucks). I have another bike for that myself, but if I didn't, then you could do a lot worse than the rim braked SLR.
  • Thanks. I'm looking at the rim brake/Di2/bespoke paint option, though delivery times are into 2022 now though.........
  • And here's one I made earlier...

Nice that!

How do the Prime carbons ride? Was tempted by some myself. I’m a hefty 110kg though so a bit concerned I’ll break them!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I was about to post that Tashman needs to lower/cut/change wheels but you've saved me the effort - that's mega - top, top effort. Brakes aside, which is a personal thing, I really like that.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    Any links and further rational behind o/sized pulley wheel pleeeeease?
  • super_davo
    I 've seen this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036758418.html

I know full well it is completely pointless and if there were any real efficiency savings Shimano would spec from scratch. However, I use this bike for going up to the peaks and so I specced with a medium cage mech so I can use an 11-32. The OSPW basically gives the same effect but it looks a bit more pro road bike and a bit less like I've stolen the mech off a mountain bike. However, wussed out of ordering so far as had other more pressing things to do / spend money on.

With respect to the Primes; they are basically the default cheap carbon wheels in the UK market at the moment (probably where Planet X were 5+ years ago). They are reliable, servicable, modern shape, competitive weight, make all important carbon wheel sounds etc. and come in about £200 less than anyone elses. You can pay less from China direct but not by a lot and Primes come in 2 days from a shop you can return to etc. Not sure if rated for 110kg but they are not a super light build, the rims are plenty stiff with a reasonable number of spokes - if any carbon wheels could take that load it would be them.

Having said that I will probably be tempted by some Winspace Hypers when I get my new race bike as they are useful amount lighter, but they are almost double the price (you can get from the UK from JediSports for £1000).
  • MattFalle

I 've seen this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036758418.html

I know full well it is completely pointless and if there were any real efficiency savings Shimano would spec from scratch. However, I use this bike for going up to the peaks and so I specced with a medium cage mech so I can use an 11-32. The OSPW basically gives the same effect but it looks a bit more pro road bike and a bit less like I've stolen the mech off a mountain bike. However, wussed out of ordering so far as had other more pressing things to do / spend money on.

With respect to the Primes; they are basically the default cheap carbon wheels in the UK market at the moment (probably where Planet X were 5+ years ago). They are reliable, servicable, modern shape, competitive weight, make all important carbon wheel sounds etc. and come in about £200 less than anyone elses. You can pay less from China direct but not by a lot and Primes come in 2 days from a shop you can return to etc. Not sure if rated for 110kg but they are not a super light build, the rims are plenty stiff with a reasonable number of spokes - if any carbon wheels could take that load it would be them.

Having said that I will probably be tempted by some Winspace Hypers when I get my new race bike as they are useful amount lighter, but they are almost double the price (you can get from the UK from JediSports for £1000).

Hell, yeah. Buy it.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Is the Prime stem the lightweight one that comes in about £40?

I like the look of those wheels as well. Deffo fall into the bracket of what I’d buy for winter in the bracket of decent (ish) carbon set v better quality aluminium set.
  • super_davo
    It's the aero one to match the bars (Doyenne) and was about £30.

That was my thinking with the wheels - the rims are never going to wear out with discs so it had to be carbon all the way, even for winter use. Just need to be able to service the hubs; and you can change the whole lot with original Prime bearings for £24 (or much less by sourcing generics from the bay)
  • MattFalle
    Not sure you can the Prime stems any more which is a bad thing as they are gravy cool and v well priced.
  • ibr17xvii
    Yeah I’ve just been looking at the stems - there are only 3 basically.

A carbon one & 2 alloys one of which is a lighter weight.

Pity really, I probably would’ve got one to match the bars. Might have a look at the lightweight one as it’s only a tenner more just to see how matchy matchy it is.
  • MattFalle
    Deda SuperZero matches the Prime aero really well - have on on my ali set.

Generally available on all sizes, not a bad price
  • MattFalle

rubbish pics I know 😂😂😂
  • ibr17xvii
    Always found the lower end Deda stuff decent value.

Would like one with limited graphics & stealth looking to match the bars without spending a bomb.

Maybe Prime might do something again the next time they refresh their range.
  • MattFalle
    Yup - hopefully Prime (Wiggle) have realised they have cracked a market and will keep at it.

Tbh, I'd buy their stuff in an instant again.
  • super_davo
    The Prime bars and stems are made by Controltech and you can actually get the discontinued Doyenne model from Merlin now (amongst many other places)

https://www.merlincycles.com/controltech-falcon-road-a-head-aero-stem-150432.html

Don't like the graphics though - Primes are far less in your face.
  • MattFalle
    good call that man!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398

Upgraded wheels. Not deep carbon but deeper and lighter ally