115th Il Lombardia, 2021- Como - Bergamo 239km **Spoilers**

124»

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308

Yates rolled through to the front to take his turn and the rest of the group just sat up. No one attacked, but Yates by maintaining his speed opened up a small gap.

Thanks
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • For all the talk that Pogacar killed the race, the chasers got him back to 25" after the descent (Vingegaard had been doing all the work, but Roglic saw he couldn't do it alone and came to the front, the others began to come through then), but then somebody attacked and blew up any cooperation. Who was it, I really couldn't see?

For all the talk that Pogacar killed the race, the chasers got him back to 25" after the descent (Vingegaard had been doing all the work, but Roglic saw he couldn't do it alone and came to the front, the others began to come through then), but then somebody attacked and blew up any cooperation. Who was it, I really couldn't see?

Who has been saying that?
    He seemed to have made the winning move (which, in fact, he had) but until he attacked the race had been in almost permanent neutral.
    At least he gave us 40kms worth watching, out of the 240km race.

I thought it was here, might have been twitter...
    It wasn't a criticism of Pog, just the claim that when he goes he goes, race over. I thought it a little overblown, though clearly if you let him get a gap you're going to have to work bloody hard to bring him back.

Still want to know who attacked the chasers.

For all the talk that Pogacar killed the race, the chasers got him back to 25" after the descent (Vingegaard had been doing all the work, but Roglic saw he couldn't do it alone and came to the front, the others began to come through then), but then somebody attacked and blew up any cooperation. Who was it, I really couldn't see?

Who has been saying that?
    He seemed to have made the winning move (which, in fact, he had) but until he attacked the race had been in almost permanent neutral.
    At least he gave us 40kms worth watching, out of the 240km race.

I thought it was here, might have been twitter...
    It wasn't a criticism of Pog, just the claim that when he goes he goes, race over. I thought it a little overblown, though clearly if you let him get a gap you're going to have to work bloody hard to bring him back.

Still want to know who attacked the chasers.
    I think the point that was made here was that the group of heavy hitters behind had virtually no team support left and were very unlikely to cooperate and work together.
    Hence it was likely to be the winning move.
    Perhaps that wasn't made clear during the hasty posting.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Masnada with Pog = Alaphillippe doesn't work.
    Alaphillippe not working = no organised chase to take Alaphillippe on an easy ride to an attack on the final little climb
    No organised chase = Pog wins

I assume Masnada attacked the group mainly to give Alaphillippe an easy ride in the chase.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

I assume Masnada attacked the group mainly to give Alaphillippe an easy ride in the chase.

Afterwards, Masnada said “I had already spoken to Alaphilippe during the race and he told me that I should try something if I had the legs. so I rode down the descent full throttle"
    while team chief Lefevere said “When Masnada had gained a 100 meter lead during the descent, Alaphilippe said to me over the radio: let him go".

So it sounds a bit like Alaphilippe had resigned himself to not being able to drop his companions nor expected them to work together much.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471

Yates rolled through to the front to take his turn and the rest of the group just sat up. No one attacked, but Yates by maintaining his speed opened up a small gap.

Then Valverde, JA and another (Bardet?) got back to him and having dropped Roglic and Vingegaard again wouldn't commit.