Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross said:

Being the 5th person to flag a spam post and seeing it disappear.

Trivially annoying that I didn't see it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

Pross said:

Being the 5th person to flag a spam post and seeing it disappear.

Trivially annoying that I didn't see it.
    Don't worry. There are plenty more by her/him.
    Just a copy, paste, post.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Just got my second one of the day
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    edited September 2021
    Lifted from the things that annoy you tthread
    Pross said:

Not convinced by the same sex thing though, I'm not bothered about men dancing with men but surely dance is about aesthetics and it looks wrong. I mean it's not as though dancing was lacking inclusiveness for gay men before now.

Like you I'm really not bothered about men dancing with men, and as you say dancing has always been inclusive of gay men. But, this cheers me up because it will send some idiots into complete and total meltdown.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131
    edited September 2021
    The BBC sent this reporter to cover the fuel problems.

• Lifted from the things that annoy you tthread

Pross said:

Not convinced by the same sex thing though, I'm not bothered about men dancing with men but surely dance is about aesthetics and it looks wrong. I mean it's not as though dancing was lacking inclusiveness for gay men before now.

Like you I'm really not bothered about men dancing with men, and as you say dancing has always been inclusive of gay men. But, this cheers me up because it will send some idiots into complete and total meltdown.

This. Especially as I'm pretty sure that those idiots have never batted an eyelid at two women dancing together.
  • pblakeney
    Confirming that I can cycle the 35 miles (each way) to my Dad's house quicker than using public transport. By 20 minutes in each direction. 😎
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Not sure "cheer you up" is right but it made me laugh.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

Finally getting my old local government pension scheme set up on line and discovering I could start drawing on it when I turn 55. Part of me is tempted as the payment only goes up by about £500 a year for each additional 5 years I leave it.

@Pross Im sure you'd take advice but watch the small print. You might be giving up 40% pension tax relief for the rest of your days if you take a pension early.
  • mully79 said:

Pross said:

Finally getting my old local government pension scheme set up on line and discovering I could start drawing on it when I turn 55. Part of me is tempted as the payment only goes up by about £500 a year for each additional 5 years I leave it.

@Pross Im sure you'd take advice but watch the small print. You might be giving up 40% pension tax relief for the rest of your days if you take a pension early.
    I will echo the bit about advice as it could limit annual contributions to £4k.

But I think they exempted the public sector by making it not applicable to DB schemes

• It does make me wonder about the psychology of drivers: meekly sitting there in a queue for an hour, but will try to squeeze past cyclists or yell at them to "get on the f*cking cycle path!!" to save, at best, a few seconds, whilst endangering the life of a fellow human being.
  • pblakeney
    Finishing a session on the trainer with T-Rex - London Boys the random playlist.
    Jump in the shower, switch the radio on and the first song is T-Rex - Get It On.
    This would not be surprising if they were current, but we are talking about songs 45 & 50 years old respectively.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Getting all the legal bollox put the way and being ready to exchange on our house purchase next week :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Getting all the legal bollox put the way and being ready to exchange on our house purchase next week :)

That was quick!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Stevo_666 said:

Good luck with that. I keep looking online, seeing so much tat, overpriced tat and thinking not for me. Went to check one out at weekend, sort of ok on the web, village location good for this country boy. Street view and google maps a bit odd, what is all this nearby? Site visit = no effing way. Some sort of commercial leasehold over 55s estate butting up across the street, way too close and tight, like being in a city in a village.

Maybe I will just FRO back to the cold wet northern lands...
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2021
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!
    Yep, we only viewed the place on 31st August.

Mostly luck - sellers chose us partly because we still had a cash buyer lined up despite the previous seller pulling out, so we were as close to cash buyers as you can get while still being in a (very short) chain. Already had finance in place; solicitors and surveyor engaged from purchase attempt #1 and the survey and searches came up pretty clean. Sellers had already exchanged on their next place and wanted out to avoid getting an extra stamp duty whammy from owning 2 properties at once so we're very cooperative getting stuff resolved.

Completion scheduled for the 28th of this month so less than 2 months end to end. Is that some sort of record?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good luck with that. I keep looking online, seeing so much tat, overpriced tat and thinking not for me. Went to check one out at weekend, sort of ok on the web, village location good for this country boy. Street view and google maps a bit odd, what is all this nearby? Site visit = no effing way. Some sort of commercial leasehold over 55s estate butting up across the street, way too close and tight, like being in a city in a village.

Tbh Loon, we had the same problem, too much tat or disappointment on viewing so we had to go up the price scale to get what we were happy with. That first purchase biting the dust whem the sellers bailed was a stroke of luck, as we needed up getting a better place with sellers who want to move quickly.

I know I've joked about your headed back North of the border, but seriously you can get a lot for your money and some fantastic scenery etc into the bargain. I guess its where you feel your roots are.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    edited October 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

Mostly luck - sellers chose us partly because we still had a cash buyer lined up despite the previous seller pulling out, so we were as close to cash buyers as you can get while still being in a (very short) chain. Already had finance in place; solicitors and surveyor engaged from purchase attempt #1 and the survey and searches came up pretty clean. Sellers had already exchanged on their next place and wanted out to avoid getting an extra stamp duty whammy from owning 2 properties at once so we're very cooperative getting stuff resolved.

Completion scheduled for the 28th of this month so less than 2 months end to end. Is that some sort of record?
    Jeez, is this considered quick these days? :o
    When we bought our current house it was hand up at auction, pay 10% on the day then ten days later pay rest and get keys :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    orraloon said:

Oh that was one helluva cold, wet ride out n the sticks that Wednesday you had in summer...
    And the coffee was terrible...
    And Alsager has better scenery.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

When we bought our current house it was hand up at auction, pay 10% on the day then ten days later pay rest and get keys :D
    This wasn't an auction and from what I can see, 2 months is pretty quick these days. Prefer to do a spot of due diligence when I'm splashing the cash, but each to their own.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

Anyone requiring a mortgage is obliged to get searches. Turnaround time on those is about 6 weeks at present depending on the region so yes, 2 months is good going for a standard purchase.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Tbh Loon, we had the same problem, too much tat or disappointment on viewing so we had to go up the price scale to get what we were happy with. That first purchase biting the dust whem the sellers bailed was a stroke of luck, as we needed up getting a better place with sellers who want to move quickly.

I know I've joked about your headed back North of the border, but seriously you can get a lot for your money and some fantastic scenery etc into the bargain. I guess its where you feel your roots are.
    Yeah, I know. Been in The Valley more than half my life now but very torn in the 'what do I want to do?' dilemma. The bulk of friends and near family are here. But there's just so so much more houses + houses + houses + square root of fxxk all infrastructure improvement. The few roads are so traffic heavy, thank F for the Ridgeway and my graveller.

Maybe I should just stop my part time working and go live somewhere nice...

• Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

Searches (and getting hold of solicitors) were the factor when we were trying to complete the sale of my wife's deceased aunt and on my daughter's purchase. More people back in offices has presumably sped that back up.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    edited October 2021
    Flowers after rain. Doesn't really make up for having a bit of a rubbish day for cycling, but it helps.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Stevo_666 said:

Don't start smiling yet. Keep your fingers crossed a little bit longer.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

That is good. The number of enquiries we get from people claiming to have bought a place (but have done little more than have an offer accepted) and with totally unrealistic timescales. Hope you don't get any last minute hitches.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

That is good. The number of enquiries we get from people claiming to have bought a place (but have done little more than have an offer accepted) and with totally unrealistic timescales. Hope you don't get any last minute hitches.
    Starting earlier surely helps with the timescales though.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited October 2021

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

It's quite a gamble pushing ahead with a project for a house you don't actually own. And a lot of sales fall through. But sure if you can afford to, it will speed things up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

That was quick!

It's quite a gamble pushing ahead with a project for a house you don't actually own. And a lot of sales fall through. But sure if you can afford to, it will speed things up.
    Sure, but the best time to refurb is when you are buying, so the balance is potentially the cost saving on time required to rent somewhere prior to moving versus the risk that the purchase falls through. So if it was me, I would start to talk to architects and look at the cost of doing some plans. Ultimately, if a house purchase falls through, you lose the money spent on solicitors and surveyors, so this is just one other item to lose.