Which crank based power meter?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,594
edited September 2021 in Road buying advice
If I wanted to get a left hand crank power meter, for lightness etc, I'm aware the accuracy is not perfect as it doubles the left hand power, but it would be sufficient for what I want.

I know there were some terrible reliability issues in the past - batteries draining overnight, issues with water getting in possibly as well, but presumably by now most if not all of these things have been addressed?

Any opinions on which one would be best?

Noticed the 4iiii Podium is meant to be out soon, and that has a rechargable battery as opposed to the normal CR2032 method that the Precision utilises.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    I'm having battery problems with my Stages one at the moment, it was fine about 12 months ago when I bought it so at the moment I wouldn't recommend them.

4iii have a better reputation IMO but they didn't have an option that would work with my Cannondale.
  • Put a DA Stages left side crank on my race bike earlier this year. No issues so far but have not ridden with it in any harsh conditions. Accuracy seems good (it tallies perfectly with Strava, whereas my Quarq has a significant discrepancy on NP when compared to Strava's avg weighted power).

Just had to do a first battery change. I think I have got somewhere around 250 hours of use over the last four months which seems slightly above Stages suggested battery life of around 200 hours for the single sided PM.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021

Put a DA Stages left side crank on my race bike earlier this year. No issues so far but have not ridden with it in any harsh conditions. Accuracy seems good (it tallies perfectly with Strava, whereas my Quarq has a significant discrepancy on NP when compared to Strava's avg weighted power).

Just had to do a first battery change. I think I have got somewhere around 250 hours of use over the last four months which seems slightly above Stages suggested battery life of around 200 hours for the single sided PM.

That's very impressive battery life, think the 4iiii states 100 hours on a 2032, or 60 with the built in rechargeable unit.

Although it did say for the former there was an app where you could connect to check the battery percentage.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I got a 4iiii left sided about 6 months ago, been spot on so got another for my winter bike.

Went with 4iiii cos it was cheaper than Stages & also the warranty is 3 years with 4iiii & only 1 with Stages IIRC.
  • daniel_b
    ibr17xvii said:

I got a 4iiii left sided about 6 months ago, been spot on so got another for my winter bike.

Went with 4iiii cos it was cheaper than Stages & also the warranty is 3 years with 4iiii & only 1 with Stages IIRC.

Ta, had spotted the 3 year warranty, hadn't realised Stages was only a year.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited September 2021
    I started with a power meter on my Direto in Dec '17 and it convinced me to get a 4iiii Precision in Apr '18, tackling climbs and a few flatter segments absolutely changed how I have ridden since.

PBK often has promos (currently ~£240 for the 105 7000, don't forget that higher models are simply the same meter on higher tier cranks), Merlin will give you a load of reward points to get discounts off future purchases and Halfords will give you 10% BC Discount plus you might be able to combine that with cheaply bought vouchers.

Typically one CR2032 last me 6+ months with ~5 hours use a week.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Thanks NOTG :-)

PBK have the Ultegra R8000 one for £255 currently with a code, and 2% tcb cashback would drop it just under £250 which seems pretty reasonable.

I'd want it to match the groupset, but yes understand what you are saying.

*Admittedly I don't currently have a bike with an R8000 groupset :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • What happened to the pedal ones you had on kickstarter?
  • daniel_b

What happened to the pedal ones you had on kickstarter?

Still to arrive, and if they ever do I'm trying to get them sent to my brother in Italy to avoid all the dreaded extra costs.

I do have a set of dual sided vector 2s as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18