Alien Existence

2»

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Have none of you people watched the Men in Black documentary series? If so go look them up and you will learn.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    orraloon said:

Have none of you people watched the Men in Black documentary series? If so go look them up and you will learn.

The inaccuracies in that though were staggering. They insisted Elvis went home, everyone knows he's working in a chip shop. Shoody journalism I'm afraid
  • This thread needs Manc33

He's back in the Andromeda galaxy by now.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Always an interestng question!

As someone up thread said, The Drake Equation uses some knowns and some assumptions and comes up with (in one documentary I saw) a figure of around 10,000 intelligent civilizations in our galaxy. I beleive the "Fermi Paradox" then goes on to ask "so where are they all?"

I've heard a couple of things that seem to make sense to me on this.

Firstly that there could be any number of intelligent beings in the galaxy (universe if you want to "go big") and that they all make advances toward visiting other planets and civilisations. Look at humankind for example: we have got people and stuff off of this planet and into space and continue to make advances into sending ever more sophisticated equipment into space but we have only ever got one vehicle, Voyager 1 (pretty basic by todays' standards), out of our own solar system. In galactic terms that is so short a distance to be insignificant . . . although it did tell us quite a lot about our solar system whilst travelling across it.

However, we continue to move forward, It's just that by the time we get anywhere close to the tech to move at the speeds necessary, we will be extinct as a species. This extinction obviously prevents us and any other civilisation from visiting others.

The second idea is that, should an alien civilisation be advanced enough to somehow have got the tech to travel the speeds and distances necessary to visit other alien civilisations, they would probably have seen hundreds and hundreds of them.

Why would they pay any particular attention to us? We would be a primitive and uninteresting life form by comparison.

The analogy is drawn whereby when you're a kid you walk into the garden, lift a slab and are fascinated by the ant colony beneath it. Poking around, seeing what they do, learning perhaps. But, as time goes on and you're in middle age, you know all about ants, lifting a slab in the garden and seeing ants beneath it is of no particular interest . . . you just crack on with your day.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Why would they pay any particular attention to us? We would be a primitive and uninteresting life form by comparison.

The analogy is drawn whereby when you're a kid you walk into the garden, lift a slab and are fascinated by the ant colony beneath it. Poking around, seeing what they do, learning perhaps. But, as time goes on and you're in middle age, you know all about ants, lifting a slab in the garden and seeing ants beneath it is of no particular interest . . . you just crack on with your day.

You think scientists have stopped studying life on this planet?
    Hmmmm. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    pblakeney said:

Hmmmm. 🤔
    . . . good point but scientists on this planet are not advanced or intelligent enough to have developed the tech to hop between galaxies at will. Perhaps if they ever do, they may have discovered "all there is to know" about life here (and elsewhere for that matter). It was an analogy and one used to try to explain a point of view I had heard.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

pblakeney said:

Hmmmm. 🤔
    . . . good point but scientists on this planet are not advanced or intelligent enough to have developed the tech to hop between galaxies at will. Perhaps if they ever do, they may have discovered "all there is to know" about life here (and elsewhere for that matter). It was an analogy and one used to try to explain a point of view I had heard.
    Point being for that analogy is that they study lower forms of life.
    Just like advanced beings would do with us. Not necessarily interfere, but study.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • laurentian
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Hmmmm. 🤔
    Point being for that analogy is that they study lower forms of life.
    Just like advanced beings would do with us. Not necessarily interfere, but study.
    Sorry, I see what you mean . . . what such an advanced civilisation could learn from studying us I'm not sure though! . . . I guess it would be ideal if the learning could be the other way round!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423

what such an advanced civilisation could learn from studying us I'm not sure though! . . . I guess it would be ideal if the learning could be the other way round!

Haha! You must be joking! We can't even learn from the experts on this planet to prevent the f'kin mess we are in right now, let alone some thin-limbed ultra-being from another galaxy.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited September 2021
    It's like us marvelling at chimps throwing shiit at each other. To a supreme being, that's basically us making 2km journeys to pick up milk, using fossil fuels.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I’d agree with most of the posts. Even if there was an alien civilisation capable of reaching us, that would kind of indicate ( to me anyway ) that they’re so much more advanced than us, there would be little value in coming to visit us anyway. As an analogy, lots more people want shiny 12 speed stuff on their bikes, than earlier generation kit, relatively few people will be getting tumescent about earlier generation kit, and wouldn’t go out of their way to obtain it.