Paris Roubaix 2021 pre race chat

I'm watching A Sunday in Hell
Can't believe we've gone 2.5 years without this race

Oh, and...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    My prediction: a lot of people won't be as happy as they expected about a wet race once the crashes start.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    Anyone know if Sep Vanmarcke is riding? He's long odds.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    See if you can get odds on him puncturing. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    gsk82 said:

My prediction: a lot of people won't be as happy as they expected about a wet race once the crashes start.

I think this is spot on. People will enjoy it up until the point one of their favoured riders crashes out.
  • Did they take some sections out for one wet edition or am I confusing it with a cobbled Tour stage ?

(I think it was a Tour stage wasn't it?)
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Did they take some sections out for one wet edition or am I confusing it with a cobbled Tour stage ?

(I think it was a Tour stage wasn't it?)

Yeah 2014 Tour
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Bit surprised to see Hayman’s fairytale was over 5 years ago.

Unpopular opinion: the cobble riding is usually an anticlimax. I know it makes for the selection, but (in recent years at least) there’s very little visible action on the iconic sectors. I’m hoping they do a better job of keeping the buggers off the side paths too.

Doubtless someone will put me right very quickly.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    andyp said:

gsk82 said:

I think this is spot on. People will enjoy it up until the point one of their favoured riders crashes out.
    Not for me, part of the race is staying upright whatever the conditions. It feels like an age since the last wet one. I'd rather see that wind a bit stronger though although it's a race that doesn't need the wind to break things up I suppose.
  • Pross
    Feels much more open than I was expecting but basing form on the Worlds can be difficult as it is a different dynamic when back racing for trade teams.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
    If it’s wet you would back a crosser over anyone else.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    God I hope it rains . We could do with an old skool Roubaix..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

MvdP it is then
  • Just reading a brief bit about the women's race.

'Only' (depending on your opinion on such things) 116km.
    They are doing Carrefour de L'Arbre, but not from what I can tell the Arenberg (too far away from Roubaix I guess given the race distance).

Sort of feels a bit PR lite, but guess we'll see what the riders say when they've done it.
  • Mad_Malx said:

Bit surprised to see Hayman’s fairytale was over 5 years ago.

Unpopular opinion: the cobble riding is usually an anticlimax. I know it makes for the selection, but (in recent years at least) there’s very little visible action on the iconic sectors. I’m hoping they do a better job of keeping the buggers off the side paths too.

Doubtless someone will put me right very quickly.

Not to be that guy* the only reason I know this is there was a re-run on Eurosport the other night but seems like Gilbert and Politt got away with an attack on the cobbles the last time the race was run. Think it was the section after Carrefour?

So you know, sometimes it happens.

(* sorry, I was totally that guy)

• dish_dash said:

MvdP it is then
    Erm, Van Aert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpXA3Imc8lU&t=187s
  • rick_chasey
    MvdP might be lacking in form as he's returning from injury.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    I assumed you were tipping Pidcock.
  • I assumed you were tipping Pidcock.

Not sure if he's riding. TBH after his WCs would love to see him there.

Equally, you could see him going to Lombardia next week and putting in a strong ride.
  • Pross

Equally, you could see him going to Lombardia next week and putting in a strong ride.
    He's not on the startlist at the moment.
  • Pross
    edited September 2021

Just reading a brief bit about the women's race.

'Only' (depending on your opinion on such things) 116km.
    They are doing Carrefour de L'Arbre, but not from what I can tell the Arenberg (too far away from Roubaix I guess given the race distance).

Sort of feels a bit PR lite, but guess we'll see what the riders say when they've done it.

It will be interesting to see how they cope given that lighter male riders generally struggle and very few of the women's peloton will be heavier than the lighter males.

Edit - I haven't seen the women's startlist but Ellen van Dijk would be my pick.
  • Pross said:

A shame given his form to not at least start and see how he goes. It's not like Ineos are stuffed full of in-form classics strongmen outside of Van Baarle.
  • Pross

Pross said:

A shame given his form to not at least start and see how he goes. It's not like Ineos are stuffed full of in-form classics strongmen outside of Van Baarle.
    Yeah, no Hayter either and Rowe doesn't look the rider he was in Classics so far this season. I suppose Moscon and Kwia are options although surprisingly it is Kwia's first time in the race. Moscon has a 5th to his name and Rowe an 8th. Outside of Rowe and van Baarle their squad only has 8 appearances in the race (4 by Moscon, 3 by Doull and 1 by Golas).
  • Kwia looked good in the GP de Denain last week over (some of) the same roads
  • I have a christening to attend so will be doing a likely lads and watching the recording

Apparently it has been 900 days since the last one
  • m.r.m.
    edited September 2021
    dish_dash said:

MvdP it is then
    Normally for sure, but he really is far away from his best. His Strade Bianche form would render him unbeatable (as far anyone ever is) this Sunday, but he could currently just as well abandon with a bad back after a couple of cobbled sectors. Albeit he isn't really one for quitting. Tends to grind things out. Grinta and all that. 😉

WVA is weirdly flying under the radar suddenly, just because of a non stellar WC RR. He wasn't even bad, just not his usual incredible self.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    The worry is WvA is cooked and his team is quite weak
  • m.r.m.
    edited September 2021
    I'm aware of the betting odds. I'm speaking of this forum and the lukewarm sentiment he is getting in some of the media. Is probably par for the course when you are the odds on favourite to win the WC RR and come up rather short in terms of placings.
  • m.r.m.
    edited September 2021

The worry is WvA is cooked and his team is quite weak

So what are you thinking? Race seems really open also due to the position in the calendar and everyone being rather cooked. No one (outside of Alaphilippe who isn't riding afaik) seems in amazing shape.
    Could also be an under the radar win for Sagan; but he doesn't seem his old self (yet after Covid).

I want MvdP to win, but I'm not convinced he has the form for the hardest race.
  • Pross
    m.r.m. said:

I'm aware of the betting odds. I'm speaking of this forum and the lukewarm sentiment he is getting in some of the media. Is probably par for the course when you are the odds on favourite to win the WC RR and come up rather short in terms of placings.

For me he's joint favourite with MVDP but I went with the latter for PTP as if they come into the velodrome together I think he wins the sprint (and it feels like neither seems to get away from the other).

I suspect the chat on here is just looking at alternatives to the obvious.