Cable Cutters

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Im coming to the conclusion that decent mechanics are a dying breed ! - Any job I ask to be done, always has to go back for fine tuning. /Rantover !

So my next task is replacing a brake cable for which I may or may not need some cable cutters - anybody recommend a decently priced set of cable cutters...

Comments

• a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    Park tools, worth every penny for good cable cutters
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - Park Tools.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    Park tools to pricey - looking for budget options
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use a cutting disc on a Dremel. Lovely clean cut, no crush. It does the sheaths too. If you do do this one tip: tape up the inner cable before cutting it, otherwise it can unwind a little. Otherwise, job's a good'un (as I already have a Dremel lying about).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You get what you pay for.

Park tools. Job done.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Park Tools. Not expensive.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    The Park ones are on special on CRC at the moment and very good value at that price.

Other suggestion above for a Dremel and cutting disc is excellent Plan B. I use an angle grinder with a very fine cutting disc to do cable outers these days, but a Dremel would be just as good if a tad slower. Generally use the Park Tool cutters for inner wires though.

Option C is just do the re-cabling with a full length inner wire, cut it approximately to length when done, leave a few inches spare, tape the end, ride to LBS and ask nicely if they'll give you the snip *ahem* at the right length and put a ferrule on for you.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • kingrollo
    The Park ones are on special on CRC at the moment and very good value at that price.

Other suggestion above for a Dremel and cutting disc is excellent Plan B. I use an angle grinder with a very fine cutting disc to do cable outers these days, but a Dremel would be just as good if a tad slower. Generally use the Park Tool cutters for inner wires though.

Option C is just do the re-cabling with a full length inner wire, cut it approximately to length when done, leave a few inches spare, tape the end, ride to LBS and ask nicely if they'll give you the snip *ahem* at the right length and put a ferrule on for you.

Do you have a link to those ? - how much is the offer ?

I don't want to spend to much for something that will get infrequent use.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=park+tool+cable+cu ... n+reaction

Under £20 and will last you forever.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    kingrollo wrote:
    Park tools to pricey - looking for budget options
    £20 too pricey? You'd save twice that in bike shop labour on one re-cable :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:
    I don't want to spend to much for something that will get infrequent use.

That's a bit of a logical fallacy, tbh. I have several tools, like steerer cutter guide, chain cutter, cable cutters, BB tools, etc that I might only use once every several months, if that. But when you need them, they still need to be quality tools.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-to ... -prod10187

Had these for a year and at least two complete re-cablings, never let me down, massively better than using a Dremel!

Can't see myself buying the park one anytime soon.
  • Park Tools are not the be all and end all, go to a decent tool shop and get some decent quality cutters.

Probably about the same price but £20 isn't a lot to spend.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    No idea - but for the extra - just get the Park that we have used and can vouch for ?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I asked a similar question and was recommended the OnOne / PlanetX cable cutters, about half the price of parktools. Haven't taken the plunge yet either way, but the cheap ones appeared to be the same as the Draper ones you can buy in the sheds.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Agree, there's no particular 'magic' ingredient to Park Tools, other than the fact that many of their tools are obviously bike-specific, rather than generic.
  • £20 pounds isn't a lot to spend for decent wire / cable cutters. The park version is well made and does the job right. Wouldn't bother looking much further.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • kingrollo
    TimothyW wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-cable-cutter/rp-prod10187

Had these for a year and at least two complete re-cablings, never let me down, massively better than using a Dremel!

Can't see myself buying the park one anytime soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I went with the CRC ones in the above link.
  • Knipex - nothing else comes close
  • I tried using this Park Tool CN-10 Pro Cable Cutter Tool to trim the brake housing, and it did a good job. The Park Tool CN10 may also be the top-rated cable cutter because it’s very sharp,  strong enough for cutting bicycle wires. It has two functions – crimper and cutter – and features a wire latch for securing the handles. It comes with a precise cutting jaw for seamless cuts. In addition, it also has a wire latch which keeps the handles together.
  • Felco. just buy the best and have done.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Why do people keep finding these old threads?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Maybe, just maybe, because they work for Park Tools? Yes, I'm cynical
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303832158752

Did the job and look as though will do it another thousand times.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    Spammers upping their post count by dragging up old threads and posting a load of old drivel in response
    pblakeney said:

• You can consider KNIPEX tools wire rope cutters. I bought these for brake and shifting cables on bicycles. The crimpers are the right size for ferals and end crimps. This bike cable cutter provides excellent clean cuts not only in your bike cable but also to other usage.