Centennial Road World Championships, Flanders - 19-26 September 2021 *SPOILERS*

1111213141517»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Erm...

https://youtu.be/DXDnLCDTm6U

My most controversial cycling Opinion of 2021 is that links/rechts is overplayed. But, well that's another level
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    ddraver said:

Erm...

https://youtu.be/DXDnLCDTm6U

My most controversial cycling Opinion of 2021 is that links/rechts is overplayed. But, well that's another level

It was funny at first. Now it's just sad.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    The Dutch ladies appear to be having a bit of a teddy throwing episode. With each other.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/the-girls-who-were-still-there-can-blame-themselves-annemiek-van-vleuten-critical-of-team-mates-at-world-championships

I'm unsure if any context has been lost in translation though.
  • ddraver
    It should be noted that Saturday marked the retirement of Anna van der Breggen. It's been lost in the fuss but that is a proper end of an era.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    ddraver said:

It should be noted that Saturday marked the retirement of Anna van der Breggen. It's been lost in the fuss but that is a proper end of an era.

Only 31 as well which seems young to call it a day.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Only 31 as well which seems young to call it a day.
    I honestly thought she was older than that. Thought her and Van Vleuten were the same age.
  • ddraver
    She goes into the car as DS for the first Women's Paris Roubaix this weekend. Then to have lots of babies apparently...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,241

Belgiums should have committed to remco and sat in the wheels behind .. Hind sight ... Once they committed to WvA Then the section when the Belgium team ripped the race up and made the final selection was also a mistake ... Just bring the race on mass to the finish late as possible . Belgium team was strong but not that strong

Can't remember where it was discussed, but it turns out Remco threw his toys out of the pram at the Belgian debrief after the worlds and refused to go to it.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707
    Yesterday there was a Cycling News report concerning Alaphilippe's new book, about which he spoke at a recent press event publicising the book.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/julian-alaphilippe-the-rainbow-jersey-makes-people-make-mistakes/

Here is some extra info:

The event was this last Friday at Kluisbergen in Flanders (thus why Cycling News quoted JA saying 'I have always felt at home here, Belgium has always welcomed me well' although CN didn't make clear the event was in Belgium). Kluisbergen is a couple of km west of the Kwaremont climb.
    The book is called “Julian - Mon année en arc-en-ciel“ (Julian - My year in rainbow), which he and the L'Equipe journalist Jean-Luc Gatellier wrote together. Jean-Luc Gatellier has been co-author of about 20 books on cycling/cyclists over the last 25 years.

As well as what Cycling News reported, JA also said “The book is not a biography, but a review of the most formative year of my life. from rainbow to rainbow, from immense sadness to overwhelming happiness. The year of the rainbow, from Imola to Leuven. It's a very open-hearted book because it was a very eventful and emotional year.
    The book (original french version) has the publication date 17 November. Translations from the french are so far only proposed into spanish, italian and dutch (the dutch version possibly available as from 30 November).