Cube Attain Pro size dilemma

Hi, first post on this account. I used to be a member here (2013) but cant remember my login details (even my user name).
After away from cycling, I started again recently on a hybrid and I'm now after a road bike as I'm finding the flat bars of the hybrid a bit uncomfy on longer rides.
I'm interesting in getting a Cube Attain Prohttps://www.cube.eu/en/2022/bikes/road/road-race/attain/cube-attain-pro-skygreynblack/
I'm unsure which size to get as the Cube sizing calculator puts me between sizes at 53 or 56. I'm 5'10" with a measure inseam of 32. Ideally, I would go and try in store but the few LBS round here either don't sell Cubes or have no stock so it'd web order.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
For reference my previous bike sizes were:
CAAD 8 (54)
Allez (54)
Defy (Medium)
I've noticed the 53 Attain has a 74 degree seat tube able, which is a consideration as my current hybrid is 73 and I've got the saddle pretty far back which it feels 'right'.
thanks
Jon

Comments

• You could try comparing your old frames against the Cube ones though I think I would still want to try to sit on one before buying
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited September 2021
    Looks to have same geo as my 2016 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc, at least in the 58cm frame size I ride, being 5'10" and ~32" cycling inseam.

The 56cm has 3mm less reach and 19mm less stack, if you don't have back issues, this will give you the option of a more aerodynamic, lower front end setup setup. Also 20mm extra exposed seat post, so a bit more flex/comfort.

Generally my lower back injury from 2008 has behaved since getting my 58cm in May 2017, but I played things cautiously and picked the 58cm for a less aggressive option. I often run all spacers above the stem, but when my back goes "ping" for a while, I'll put all spacers under the stem.

For reference, top of my Time Xpro10 pedal to top of saddle along line of seat tube is 89-90cm, depending upon how my knees feel (lower saddle gives more bend at bottom dead centre, less likely to upset my knees and my dodgy bow legs).
    With supplied 110mm -6 degree stem above all spacers, tip of saddle to back of shifter hoods using Prime Primavera bar (75mm reach, same as supplied Cube iirc) is ~650mm (544mm tip of saddle to middle of bar tops)... This is not a racey position!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Just compare the geometry of your previous bikes that did fit against the cube. My ribble is a 52 but slightly bigger than my oldxtrek that was a 56.
  • Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. I feel more assured to go for the 56 now.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    OP Of your previous bikes the Defy in Medium has a 56.7cm Stack and 37.7cm Reach 54.5cm TT 48.0 ST which would put you on the 53cm Cube. The 56cm Cube has a 73.5deg, ST the same as the Defy Medium, although the 56cm Cube is a closer match to a Defy in Medium/Large.
  • dj58 said:

OP Of your previous bikes the Defy in Medium has a 56.7cm Stack and 37.7cm Reach 54.5cm TT 48.0 ST which would put you on the 53cm Cube. The 56cm Cube has a 73.5deg, ST the same as the Defy Medium, although the 56cm Cube is a closer match to a Defy in Medium/Large.

Thanks for the reply. Normally, I'd just go for the smaller size (53). The reason I'm considering the 56 is because (according to the site Iochindaal kindly linked to) it has the same reach as the 2013 Allez (385mm) but a lot more stack. With the stock 100mm stem, I never found the reach of the Allez too long (on the hoods it was the comfiest bike I've owned) but the drops were at the limit of my flexibility. Being 8 years older, I thought the extra stack height of the 56 Attain might be a wise decision.

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    edited September 2021
    In that case I agree that the Cube in the 56cm is the correct size to go for.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Some good advice in here and I think the larger frame is probably the one for you, given the stack height consideration.

I do also think we should sticky any posts where a relative newbie (or someone who's been away for a while) has had the epiphany that flat bars are less comfortable on long rides. I tend to not really look in Road Beginners, but there used to be a lot of posts along the lines "how can I put drop bars on my hybrid?" by people who'd realised the same.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Thanks again for all the help, its been a massive help.