Armstrong and Ulrich

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Impressive the way they've both stayed at their race weight.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Look at those truck handlebars . Different era
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Glad that Ullrich seems to be in a better place. It was looking very bleak for him a few years ago.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    ddraver said:
    Something is wrong here.
    LA is wearing white socks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245

Look at those truck handlebars . Different era

Got to open up the lungs I remember being told.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,313
    Red jersey Jan looks half the size of yellow jersey Jan.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    Red jersey is LA though?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • m.r.m.
    Is this some joke I'm not getting because Lance is clearly wearing the white and orange WEDU jersey with the rainbow bands in that twitter pic? Jan is in the red jersey (black helmet white socks).
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:
    Something is wrong here.
    LA is wearing white socks.

He's wearing black socks :)

• pblakeney
    edited September 2021
    I wasn't joking. I just picked the biggest bloke as Jan. Not helped by the rider behind.
    Jan is equally allowed the rainbow but I hadn't noticed the helmet. 🤔

Edit - Helps if you actually click on the link. 🤪
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    pblakeney said:

I wasn't joking. I just picked the biggest bloke as Jan. Not helped by the rider behind.
    Jan is equally allowed the rainbow but I hadn't noticed the helmet. 🤔

Edit - Helps if you actually click on the link. 🤪

Clue's in the title "“THE LOOK” 20 years later reversed."
  • pblakeney
    Yeah. Twist the knife. Thanks.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • On a human level its great to see both together riding their bikes
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Current version of TheMove podcast, worlds recap, has Jan Ulrich on as a guest. Interesting to hear him speak, though limited, given his health and mental issues this past decade.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Nice to see them all well but, not sure how I feel about slapping these guys metaphorically on the back.

Cancel culture sure doesn’t apply in cycling?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    edited September 2021

Nice to see them all well but, not sure how I feel about slapping these guys metaphorically on the back.

Cancel culture sure doesn’t apply in cycling?

Not sure anyone on here has given them a slap on the back. Mainly just commented they're happy to see Ullrich appearing to have hopefully got through his problems to some extent.
  • I just think it's nice to see two old rivals still enjoying cycling - even though I suppose in Armstrong's case this is linked to a commercial venture so it's not just for the fun of riding.

He that is without sin and all that.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    Armstrong is the type of bully who is friendly to those who have submitted to the bullying without complaining.

He likes Ulrich because Ulrich was a good rival but never beat him. It'd be different if Ule had beaten him.
  • m.r.m.
    edited September 2021
    Also Ullrich spoke rather kind words about him during his retirement and other occasions in the past, so it strokes Armstrong's ego.
    While being vary of sounding jaded and trying to avoid being thus, the whole thing still seems more like positive PR from Armstrong for Armstrong than any genuine concern.
    And I'm by no means an Armstrong hater. Just trying to call a spade a spade.

A strong parallel can be drawn from his modus operandi in use of the Livestrong foundation to his use of Ullrich here (and in the past year). Armstrong is willing to help, provided that help also serves another bigger goal for himself.

I still prefer his podcast to those of the regular cycling media though. Lanterne Rouge is currently the best, but The Move is second (also for lack of better alternatives in The Move's case).
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

Armstrong is the type of bully who is friendly to those who have submitted to the bullying without complaining.

He likes Ulrich because Ulrich was a good rival but never beat him. It'd be different if Ule had beaten him.

Like Pantani, you mean?
  • Well I liked seeing it anyway!
  • m.r.m.
    Yeah I agree. It's nice, but several things can be true at the same time. 😁
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    m.r.m. said:

While being vary of sounding jaded and trying to avoid being thus, the whole thing still seems more like positive PR from Armstrong for Armstrong than any genuine concern.
    And I'm by no means an Armstrong hater. Just trying to call a spade a spade.

A strong parallel can be drawn from his modus operandi in use of the Livestrong foundation to his use of Ullrich here (and in the past year). Armstrong is willing to help, provided that help also serves another bigger goal for himself.

I would say that almost all altruism by famous people is in some part driven by the opportunity for good PR, so I don't he'd be unusual in that respect.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    Guess it comes down to which shade of grey.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ddraver said:
    Lance looked behind him to see what was happening. Much like all of us have done many times. Only in the cycling mind can something like this be made into the stuff of legend. It was nothing, made out to be some special moment in the cosmos by God knows who or why. And oddly enough, EVERYONE bought it. Sad.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Are you arguing with me or Johan? I just posted the tweet.

(or is it the voices in your head?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    dennisn said:

ddraver said:
    Lance looked behind him to see what was happening. Much like all of us have done many times. Only in the cycling mind can something like this be made into the stuff of legend. It was nothing, made out to be some special moment in the cosmos by God knows who or why. And oddly enough, EVERYONE bought it. Sad.
    Your boy Lance is quite happy to go along with myths about him if others will to.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

dennisn said:

ddraver said:
    Your boy Lance is quite happy to go along with myths about him if others will to.
    YOU bought into it.
  • rick_chasey
    If ya can be bothered to go back on here you’ll find I never was but ok Dennis.