Other sports worth following

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Ooofff, not sure I could have handled that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    There is a touch of the Murray Monotone to her, eh? 😁
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Wow! Haven’t seen anything like that for a while. Don’t remember seeing anyone playing that well in a final let alone an 18 year qualifier in her second grand slam. Brilliant final, the speed and accuracy from both players was something else.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Yeah, to achieve that at eighteen, amazing! I bet the sponsorship deals will flood in now too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Nice to see the Great North Run being held on a proper course rather than a downhill point-to-point route.

My colleague's girlfriend currently just behind the front group of 7. Some horrible running styles in that front group of women.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Yeah, to achieve that at eighteen, amazing! I bet the sponsorship deals will flood in now too.

She gets £1.8m in prize money too
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

Yeah, to achieve that at eighteen, amazing! I bet the sponsorship deals will flood in now too.

She gets £1.8m in prize money too
    Just imagine the amount of toys and sweets she can buy!
  • Pross
    Have any papers gone for Fairytale of New York as a headline?
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Pross said:

Have any papers gone for Fairytale of New York as a headline?

That was in the radio commentary seconds after the winning ace
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Mayo beat 6 in a row winners Dublin in the semis, to reach the All Ireland Gaelic Football final

Why is this going to interest the forum?

Well its one of the great 'curse' stories in sport

The story goes that the winning team Mayo team of 1951 were travelling back from Dublin when they met a funeral procession. They refused to suspend their celebrations as they passed the cortege. A priest or gypsy, the story isn't clear, put a curse on the county that they'd never win another title until all the 1951 team were dead

Since then they've reached 10 finals and lost all 10. (3 after replays)

Only 1 member of the '51 survives. If you Google search Mayo GAA one of the top searches is' Has Paddy Pendergast died yet?'

The curse extends to 11 finals. 11 losses.
    Absolutely gutted but Tyrone were the better team.

Think that may be curtains for Aiden O'Shea. It would be a travesty if Lee Keegan never wins an All Ireland.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Respect to my homies.
  • Boxing was interesting

Golf not going well
  • Paddy Prendergast, the final surviving member of the last Mayo team to win the All-Ireland senior football title has died aged 95

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Boxing was interesting

Golf not going well

Have they changed the protocol about finishing matches once an outright win has been achieved? Also if the US had won after 2 days would they have started any of the singles?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

Boxing was interesting

Golf not going well

Have they changed the protocol about finishing matches once an outright win has been achieved? Also if the US had won after 2 days would they have started any of the singles?
    I think they play out all the matches now.

Nice for Rory to get the point after a nightmare Ryder Cup. Hope Poulter maintains his unbeaten singles record too as suspect this will be his last appearance.

• seanoconn

Paddy Prendergast, the final surviving member of the last Mayo team to win the All-Ireland senior football title has died aged 95

Mayo have got to win next year. If there isn’t a film about this yet there will be.
  • seanoconn said:

Paddy Prendergast, the final surviving member of the last Mayo team to win the All-Ireland senior football title has died aged 95

Mayo have got to win next year. If there isn’t a film about this yet there will be.
    Galway will beat them in Connaught.

If they did win it next year it would be unbelievable.
  • ddraver
    Part of me thinks it might be better if they didnt so the curse theory can be quashed :P
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Part of me thinks it might be better if they didnt so the curse theory can be quashed :P

If they do win it they better not go anywhere near Foxford and should definitely pay any funeral processions the respect necessary while celebrating......
  • elbowloh
    edited September 2021
    I found this quite interesting. There's a long history of sprinters making the crossover to bob-sleigh, but is this a first for a long jumper?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/28/greg-rutherford-makes-gb-bobsleigh-squad-to-keep-his-olympic-dream-alive
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    edited September 2021
    elbowloh said:

I found this quite interesting. There's a long history of sprinters making the crossover to bob-sleigh, but is this a first for a long jumper?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/28/greg-rutherford-makes-gb-bobsleigh-squad-to-keep-his-olympic-dream-alive

Rutherford was a very respectable 100m sprinter in his younger days but surprised there aren’t any younger faster sprinters vying for a berth. Bit of interest for British bobsleigh perhaps.
  • ddraver
    Same ideas isn't it? 10m of intense power to get the start under '6 flat'

(If you know, you know)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

Rutherford was a very respectable 100m sprinter in his younger days but surprised there aren’t any younger faster sprinters vying for a berth. Bit of interest for British bobsleigh perhaps.
    I guess the younger, faster sprinters have to accept that they aren't going to make it at the top level in athletics first though. The bigger surprise is that the role is usually a more bulky sprinter who can get their body mass moving the sled, Rutherford has never struck be as being particularly powerfully built.
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

I guess the younger, faster sprinters have to accept that they aren't going to make it at the top level in athletics first though. The bigger surprise is that the role is usually a more bulky sprinter who can get their body mass moving the sled, Rutherford has never struck be as being particularly powerfully built.
    Maybe he has great pushing power in those springy legs.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

Rutherford packed on some muscle after a lengthy spell out injured during his career, seemed to work for him but looked a bit bulky for the ideal long jump build. He never really seemed to get the credit he deserved for some reason. Tremendous athlete, Olympic, world, European and commonwealth gold, can’t argue with that.
  • Quite an interesting F1 race last night.

Alex Thomson potentially retiring from racing. End of an era, desperately sad not to see him acheive his goal of winning the Vendee globe. Doesn't rule himself out of the 2028 edition!
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

seanoconn said:

elbowloh said:

Rutherford packed on some muscle after a lengthy spell out injured during his career, seemed to work for him but looked a bit bulky for the ideal long jump build. He never really seemed to get the credit he deserved for some reason. Tremendous athlete, Olympic, world, European and commonwealth gold, can’t argue with that.
    I think it was because he never made those massive, eye opening jumps. He won gold in an era where they weren't jumping that far.

I think it's a little unfair, but I think people rate winners who break records.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    wrong thread
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Great finish in the Scottish Open golf today. In strong winds Rory birdied the last 2 holes to pass local lad Robert MacIntyre who had earlier shot a remarkable 64.