handle bars dropped can't make the bike safe?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section. It's definitely not a MTB but I don't think it's a road bike either. It's a bike my partner recently bought, she is very new to cycling - first bike as a grown up. Although I cycle a lot now, I am still a newbie myself, hence not having a clue how to solve this problem.

She bought it 2nd hand from a shop, I think it's this model.

She wanted the handle bars 'moved' closer to a 'dutch bike' position. So, angled 'up' to make it even higher compared to the saddle.

I Allen keyed it - moved the handle bar, then tightened it up.

On the second ride after this, suddenly the handle bars 'fell' - we had to walk home. I then tried to Allen key it super tight. I presumed it was my fault for not tightening it enough the first time. The red part is where I had originally 'loosened' it to drop the bars, and where I was tightening it.

I used all my might to tighten it up.

This time after doing so - it didn't keep the handle bars in place at all. I don't know how it did the first time? It feels like some part has broken and fallen off - that connects the part I was tightening [red circle] and the part underneath that it somehow should be attached to [green circle].

My partner wants to take the bike to Halfords to fix it. But I'm not sure what it needs? Is this something I can fix at home. Is it something Halfords can fix? As if it's a unique bike fitting they haven't seen I'm not sure Halfords are likely to be able to help.

I'm hoping this is a standard connection for handle bars - and I'm just showing my newbie-ish-ness [stupidity] and that it's an easy solve.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks for any comments, help, abuse... all are welcome, or deserved.

xx

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    This is a guess from looking at the pictures. Where the green circle is you can see that there are serrations. There should be matching serrations under the part that you've tightened, these are what would lock the stem in place. Unfortunately, what may have happened when the bar slipped is that the serrations on one or both of these parts may have become damaged, so now even if you tighten them, there's not much material there to grip, so they keep moving. If that is the case then there's probably not much you can do other than replacing the stem.

It looks like a quill stem, and based on the age of the bike I'd guess it's a 1 1/8" headset, which would take a 25.4mm quill. Something like this in the 25.4mm variant would probably fit, but definitely take measurements and check: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.ETC-Adjustable-Quill-Stem_21729.htm

A bike shop wouldn't be a good idea if you're not confident doing the work, Halfords probably sell similar quill stems and would be able to fit it.
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Hey, you are right that on the red circled section there is something circular-ish that when the handle bars are upright sits on top of the green circled section. Alas it's position was too hard to get a photo of it.

And if the solution is the one that you linked - at only £14 that's a lot cheaper than I feared.

If this is something Halfords might comfortably be able to fix/sort out - then I think that's a perfect solution.

Thanks for the help x
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    Thanks.

I sort of thought Halfords might not be the best place

But then I guess proper bike shop is one that has been around for ages - I need to research that a bit. I'm in London E14 just in case anyone works in or knows one nearby.

I'm sure there are loads - Halfords is easier because of parking [can't cycle there obviously]

Thanks again
  • User error. Most bikes come with a manual containg warnings such as "buggering about when you don't know what you're doing can lead to danger of serious injury or death"
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    edited September 2021

User error. Most bikes come with a manual containg warnings such as "buggering about when you don't know what you're doing can lead to danger of serious injury or death"

No need to be a knob about it, the OP clearly knows they made a mistake.

Halfords can be great, but it can also be hit and miss. If your local shop has a decent mechanic (they do exist) then you'll be fine. I think they have a poor reputation from several years ago, but they do still sell bikes with quill stems so will know what they're looking at. See if you can find reviews for the branch you want to use to see if they're one of the decent ones.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,435
    If you move the bars back down to the original position can they be sufficiently tightened? You might have gone past the maximum adjustment angle.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• User error. Most bikes come with a manual containg warnings such as "buggering about when you don't know what you're doing can lead to danger of serious injury or death"

No need to be a knob about it, the OP clearly knows they made a mistake.

Halfords can be great, but it can also be hit and miss. If your local shop has a decent mechanic (they do exist) then you'll be fine. I think they have a poor reputation from several years ago, but they do still sell bikes with quill stems so will know what they're looking at. See if you can find reviews for the branch you want to use to see if they're one of the decent ones.
    Woooohhh Mr stroppy pants
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    This bike shop might be near enough to you if you are in E14

https://limehousebicyclecompany.co.uk/

They do offer repair services so maybe you could call ahead to se if they can fix your problem