Alien Existence

In an effort to stop a thread going too far off topic.....

Aliens, do the exist?

I think that they definitely do.
The only remaining question is, are they visiting us?
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.
Veronese68 wrote:
PB is the most sensible person on here.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Sore bottom this morning?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    seanoconn said:

Sore bottom this morning?

No. There is a potential thread deviation in the Eurosport thread.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    edited September 2021
    Due to the sheer size of the universe, it's a certainty that advanced life exists elsewhere. Also due to the sheer size of the universe, it's incredibly unlikely that any of that advanced life has visited Earth.
  • Define life.
  • Aliens do exist, and they've occupied Downing Street.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    edited September 2021
    Do I believe Aliens exist? Yes. The Universe is far too large to it being just us.

Do I believe they've visited Earth? No. The Universe is far too large for it too of happened.
  • The Drake equation is sometimes used to estimate the number of civilisations there might be. It uses such factors as how many stars there are known to be (and the rate of star formation) the fraction those that might have planets capable of supporting life, and number of others. The problem is, too many of the factors are unknown, and hence dependent on estimates or educated guesses. At the high end of those estimates, you get a number from the equation of many thousands - at the low end, none at all.
  • Either there is, or there isn't.

Either way you look at it, it's equally mind-blowing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Given the apparently infinite size of the universe then they have to exist.
    Have they visited Earth, who knows, but probably not.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Aliens do exist, and they've occupied Downing Street.

negatron - DS is full of bellends, not aliens.

#fucktheTories
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Either there is, or there isn't.

Either way you look at it, it's equally mind-blowing.

Exactly. If they don't, you want to know what's so unique about this planet.

If there are other civilisations out there we will never meet them, because of the impossibility of either us or them crossing the vast distances involved. We’ve become used to thinking that this will be possible some day, thanks to such sci fi as Star Trek. In the Star Trek universe, warp drive works by warping space, and then jumping across the gap. Steven Hawking, a keen Star Trek fan, once said that this was theoretically possible - but that it would take more energy than exists in the universe to achieve it.

On the other hand, it does seem possible that primitive life, or definitive evidence that it once existed, might be discovered soon elsewhere in our solar system. Some moons of Jupiter and Saturn are promising candidates and there are plans to investigate them. Europa, for instance, is thought to have a liquid water ocean beneath a frozen surface.
  • oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited September 2021
    MattFalle said:

Aliens do exist, and they've occupied Downing Street.

negatron - DS is full of bellends, not aliens.

#fucktheTories

From the planet Bell end?

Or maybe they are from here:

• As Douglas Adams said, space is big. Really big.

It is also quite old. Quite a lot older than any given star.

So another reason why advanced aliens will never actually land in New Mexico or Nevada and try to invade someone's buum hole is because they have all already extinct or they haven't evolved yet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    I do always like reading how we would know what advanced creatures know. It's like asking a chimpanzee to explain electricity. They don't even understand the question. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

I do always like reading how we would know what advanced creatures know. It's like asking a chimpanzee to explain electricity. They don't even understand the question. 😉

Give them a bit more time after we've killed ourselves off and they will get there in the end.
  • The biggest issue is the time alignment problem. Were there alien civilisations in the universe, at any time? Almost certainly. Are there any alien civilisations about, at present, that are advanced enough to reach us? That’s a big question. There are a lot of nutters about, who seem hell bent on clouding the waters with their insane rantings, but it is definitely possible that there are other alien civilisations out there somewhere. Whether they’d even want to get in touch with us, is another point for debate of course.
  • oxoman said:

pblakeney said:

Give them a bit more time after we've killed ourselves off and they will get there in the end.
    I disagree with you FA as I suspect we will have eaten them before we go extinct. Unless planet of the Apes is just a glimpse into the future. As to Aliens existing, yes I believe they do, however I suspect that they may be little bugs or microbes.
    Well in that case it will be the magpies who rediscover electricity.
  • Ncovidius said:

The biggest issue is the time alignment problem. Were there alien civilisations in the universe, at any time? Almost certainly. Are there any alien civilisations about, at present, that are advanced enough to reach us? That’s a big question. There are a lot of nutters about, who seem hell bent on clouding the waters with their insane rantings, but it is definitely possible that there are other alien civilisations out there somewhere. Whether they’d even want to get in touch with us, is another point for debate of course.

Even if they are around now and send us an email, all life on earth will probably be extinct before the message gets to us.

Like the great man said, space is very big. A walk to the chemists is nothing compared to space.
  • Ncovidius said:

The biggest issue is the time alignment problem. Were there alien civilisations in the universe, at any time? Almost certainly. Are there any alien civilisations about, at present, that are advanced enough to reach us? That’s a big question. There are a lot of nutters about, who seem hell bent on clouding the waters with their insane rantings, but it is definitely possible that there are other alien civilisations out there somewhere. Whether they’d even want to get in touch with us, is another point for debate of course.

Even if they are around now and send us an email, all life on earth will probably be extinct before the message gets to us.

Like the great man said, space is very big. A walk to the chemists is nothing compared to space.
    But now you’re into the physics that we know, at present. If there was an alien civilisation that could manipulate time space, to enable transit of objects / messages in a timescale that suits us, firstly I’d be worried, secondly, there’s probably no point in worrying, because they would have us over a barrel.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Just check on TripAdvisor and see what reviews they've left.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Ncovidius said:

Is there an irony emoticon?
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Its worth a couple of beers while watching close encounters of the 5th kind.
    Its slightly tin foil hat but...

If you except Roswell really happened and the fake autopsy video was a sophisticated cover up to cover the cover up and...

If you except Einstein was right and that time isnt actually fixed then the distance and the time an alien might take to travel isnt the impossible problem you think it is...
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I take acception to that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    mully79 said:

If you except Roswell really happened and the fake autopsy video was a sophisticated cover up to cover the cover up and...

If you except Einstein was right and that time isnt actually fixed then the distance and the time an alien might take to travel isnt the impossible problem you think it is...

Is it really Mully or could it be Mulder.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    How do you except a person or their view?
  • mully79 said:

Well, given that it’s ‘accept’ ( I’ll let you off on that one ). Your points are valid. It’s the possibility of time space manipulation that’s the key. We will find out whether that’s possible, or we won’t. If we do, I can’t see it ending well, if we do find out the hard way, then it’s going to be fun fun fun.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygB4EZ7ggig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NhOKy2K80

This intrigues me. The accounts of a couple of fighter pilots involved in a situation not knowing what they saw, compared to a retired fighter pilot (now airline pilot) just observing the footage released by the Department of Defence and making his own judgement.

The first two pilots accounts are compelling, which others involved in the Naval military exercise witnessed as well. The visual 8mm converted to digital footage leaves a lot to be desired though and doesn't show anything unusual as explained by the pilot not involved in the situation.

Intriguing, if nothing else.

Washington (CNN)Members of the House Intelligence Committee will receive a classified briefing on Wednesday morning on one of the most controversial topics circulating in Washington today: UFOs.

The briefing, which was confirmed to CNN by two sources familiar with the committee's plans, comes just weeks before the US intelligence community is scheduled to deliver an unclassified report on the matter for Congress. According to one committee source, Wednesday's briefing will be conducted by the Navy and FBI.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics/ufo-report-briefing-pentagon-fighting/index.html
  • A group of senior American politicians have warned that UFOs pose “national security concerns” after getting a confidential briefing on a highly anticipated report on unidentified aerial phenomena that is set to be released later this month.

Some members of Congress were given advanced details about the contents of the Pentagon report, which is scheduled to be released before 25 June, and several said they are deeply worried about the findings.

The woman who forced the US government to take UFOs seriously
    “Clearly, something’s going on that we can’t handle,” Tim Burchett, a Republican congressman from Tennessee,.

In recent years a series of government videos showing unidentified aerial phenomena, or UAPs – the ufology community’s preferred term – have been released, including footage from a navy F-18 fighter jet which showed an oblong object flying through the sky near San Diego in 2004.

This April photos and videos taken by navy personnel were leaked online, showing triangular-shaped objects buzzing in the sky, and in May leaked military footage showed an oval flying object near a navy ship in San Diego – an apparent UAP hotspot.

“We take the issue of unexplained aerial phenomena seriously to the extent that we’re dealing with the safety and security of US military personnel or the national security interests of the United States, so we want to know what we’re dealing with,” Sean Patrick Maloney, a Democratic congressman from New York, told the New York Post.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/17/ufos-us-report-national-security-concerns

I do find intriguing why what has been observed by the US Navy hasn't been explained and the response from some of the members of Congress.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    There is a belief that its in the US's best interest to portray all aliens as a security threat.
    The film I posted earlier goes in to some detail about the American commitee put together to investigate UFO's. It suggests all of them have a significant interest in Aliens being perceived as a threat.
    The CIA are also apparently heavily involved in ensuring UFO news is manipulated.

The CE5 protocol is handbook detailing methods of contacting aliens. I havent tried it as i am fairly cynical but there's no smoke without fire.
  • mully79 said:

There is a belief that its in the US's best interest to portray all aliens as a security threat.
    The film I posted earlier goes in to some detail about the American commitee put together to investigate UFO's. It suggests all of them have a significant interest in Aliens being perceived as a threat.
    The CIA are also apparently heavily involved in ensuring UFO news is manipulated.

The CE5 protocol is handbook detailing methods of contacting aliens. I havent tried it as i am fairly cynical but there's no smoke without fire.

There’s a long history of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing in the U.S.A. It’s possible that there is an advanced programme, involving development of tech, that the military, and lots of the government aren’t aware of. Do I think it’s aliens? no. Do I think there are Ariel phenomena, of terrestrial origin, using tech we’re not being told about? Absolutely.