Centennial Road World Championships, Flanders - 19-26 September 2021 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473
    Turned on as the programme was finishing. What was the result?
  • Pross
    Josh Tarling is another I used to see regularly on the local cyclo cross scene when I was involved in coaching my club's kids.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    PER STRAND HAGENES of Norway wins it.
  • Pross
    U23 race is a complete crash fest. Four or five in the half hour I've watched and they're on the easy part of the course still.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,918
    edited September 2021
    90 out of 178 riders finished the Junior race.....

Hopefully the U23 won't be as bad.
  • Pross
    Need the klaxon I think.

Peloton in bits, partly winds, partly the first climbs and partly the constant crashes I think. Lewis Askey put the pressure on going up the first cobbled climb. Latest crash victims is a Belgian who was literally pulled off the road by a medic / official when clearly in pain.

It will be interesting to see the views of this course from those bemoaning the dangerous week 1 Tour stages but it's Belgium so therefore OK I guess.
  • JimD666
    Unsure how much is down to a dangerous course as it is too a lack of riding recently for the Juniors and U23's.

Perhaps stabilisers should be brought in....
  • Pross
    JimD666 said:

Unsure how much is down to a dangerous course as it is too a lack of riding recently for the Juniors and U23's.

There's been some very dodgy sections, the road narrowing on an already narrow road after the first cobbled climb for example. Luckily it is sitting up a bit now.

Waerenskeld the favourite down now with another Belgian.

Riders going the wrong way now, seems a bit chaotic for an area so used to bike racing.

Three riders including Askey now crossing to the French leader.
  • Pross
    But pulled back by two French riders. Tactics obviously not strong in academies.
  • Pross
    edited September 2021
    Probably only 50 riders left in contention.

Edit - a few more than that, maybe 70?
  • Pross
    Our resident Viking lover may be getting excited now as one of the Danes pulls a group clear
  • Pross
    Haven't got a clue what the French are doing.

Large and strong break at the front with Fisher-Black now clipping off the front of them and Schmid joining him. Pulled back and Fisher-Black dropped. Dutch rider in the break refusing to do any work.
  • Pross
    Schmid goes solo as the break started messing around.

Askey has been very active after missing the break and now in a chasing group that is working well. Final lap, 15k to go.
  • Pross
    Schmid caught, Baroncini now leads with 5k to go and I reckon will hold on due to lack of strength in depth behind.
  • Pross
    Askey attacks again with a German trying to follow but looks doomed.
  • Pross
    9" lead for Baroncini with 2.5k to go
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited September 2021
    JimD666 said:

There's been plenty of racing this year, so it won't be that. The course is basically just a bigger version of a town centre crit circuit, which is probably more to the point...
  • Pross
    13" with 1k to go, a couple of counterattacks behind but this is done and dusted.
  • Pross
    Eritrea take silver, superb to see.
  • Pross
    Dutch third, Askey took 5th after racing aggressively with home favourite Nys in 6th.
  • Pross
    The Eritrean lad came from miles back. Looks a real talent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Not to be all Rick about this but who actually won..? :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Good attack at exactly the right moment from Baroncini- never looked back.
  • Pross
    Thought I'd made it pretty obvious saying he'd attacked at 5k and was unlikely to get caught then giving a time check at 2.5k before saying it was done and dusted at 1k.
  • Pross
    Huge cheers for Girmay as he takes his silver medal.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    edited September 2021
    ddraver said:

Not to be all Rick about this but who actually won..? :P

1. Filippo Baroncini (Italy - Trek next year)
    2. Biniam Grmay (Eritrea - Wanty next year)
    3. Olav Kooji (Netherlands - Jumbo Visma this year)

Best of Britain: Lewis Askey 5th
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • For those of you joining in the PTP for the Road World Championships, it might be worth noting that in the Dutch team today, the only rider not yet to have won gold in any cycling world championship event is Vollering.
  • JimD666
    Just finished catching up with the Womens Junior race.

Zöe Bäckstedt World Champion. Not to shabby at all :)

Listening to a rather proud Dad trying to commentate was also fun :)
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Surprised some of the teams in the front group with numbers didn't put a bit more effort in when Vollering and van Dijk were is group 2. It felt like the Germans almost sat up to let them back.