Centennial Road World Championships, Flanders - 19-26 September 2021 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Bring back the 2 up 100km TT.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I think you have to be really keen to bother watching this....
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    edited September 2021
    "Gigantic mono-b-oob" is not a phrase I expected on commentary of a TT.
  • Strange start to the women’s course
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    edited September 2021
    How about 4 riders relay solo itt legs like the mixed triathlon ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

They need To tweak this mixed relay ttt.

Yeah it's rubbish. I'd have a 6 up of 3 men and 3 women and you have to finish 4 including at least 2 women. Would make for interesting tactics.

It will just end up as an equivalent of a motor paced ITT for each country's second best women's TTer. That second best woman would sit on the wheel of the biggest man available while and the other woman would sit on her wheel. In front two men would ride to the second best woman's ITT schedule.

Over time someone will come with a more refined strategy, but I doubt it will involve the women taking a turn.
    My thinking was whether the third woman does a few big turns early on, maybe a strong pursuiter like Archibald or Kenny.

The current format is rubbish though whatever. It certainly doesn't help having the two teams doing different loops and the wave system doesn't help neither does putting in a chicane within the first 50m of rolling off the ramp.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2021
    Pross said:

My thinking was whether the third woman does a few big turns early on, maybe a strong pursuiter like Archibald or Kenny.

You could pick a track sprinter who would drop out after 500m
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Got better towards the end ..happy for the Germans
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Nice way for der Panzerwagon to bow out.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Indeed, can't say I watched and it seems weird but for giving Tony M a TT rainbow jersey in his last race, I can forgive it...

(Cav, probably less so...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited September 2021
    As a career curtain closer, it's also the perfect race to win a rainbow jersey in, at least from a spectator's POV; there are hardly any other TTT mixed relays on the UCI calendar.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    I have to say I totally disagree with all the negative comments. I really enjoyed it .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021
    It's really only been invented as way for Lappartient to ingratiate himself to the IOC in the hope of being made a member. The IOC are looking for mixed events to introduce.

But it's good for the winners. And some other countries took it seriously. And well done Tony.
  • mididoctors
    I like the idea of mixed events ...the Olympic triathlon relay and mixed sprint relays are good
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021

I like the idea of mixed events ...the Olympic triathlon relay and mixed sprint relays are good

I want to see a cycling medley mixed relay - road, track, MTB & Cross. Each leg held at four different locations. Each rider would have one of those light things they use in the devil track race to tell riders when they can start. I haven't worked out how the track leg would work
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    RichN95. said:

I want to see a cycling medley mixed relay - road, track, MTB & Cross. Each leg held at four different locations. Each rider would have one of those light things they use in the devil track race to tell riders when they can start. I haven't worked out how the track leg would work
    Start with track and make it a points race. Then convert points to seconds for the next leg.
  • ddraver
    It would be more fun with a short DH run instead of 'cross I think...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021
    ddraver said:

But there's only seconds between them isn't there? If you can find track that goes on for 20-30 minutes and can accommodate several riders in close proximity then great

Track is the one I would struggle with the format
  • mididoctors
    Starts getting a bit "it's a knock out "
  • ddraver
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

But there's only seconds between them isn't there? If you can find track that goes on for 20-30 minutes and can accommodate several riders in close proximity then great

Track is the one I would struggle with the format
    Hmmm, there might have to be time bonuses of some sort.

I guess the order will be vital as somehow you need to prevent a peloton forming in the final event
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021

Starts getting a bit "it's a knock out "

"And here come Belgians"

That's a show that needs to come back. Minus Stuart Hall obviously. It could be Carlton Kirby's calling
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    I enjoyed the race. I think the concept is good and shows the need for a balanced team , ie not enough to have one half really strong. Needs a lot of tweaking for things like change over and removing the waves. Difficult to practice as well.
    But the atmosphere at the end was great.
    Poor Switzerland losing medal by 0.05.
    Great for Tony Martin, hope he has a happy retirement.
  • Pross
    Be nice to see racing somewhere new (I've never seen the Tour of Rwanda). It looks to be a fairly hilly area so should give some interesting racing.
  • ddraver
    Can't find the original source (if there is such a thing on twitter), but it seems Rog has spent most of the week training with WvA rather than, you know, The Slovenian Team... 😶

World's are fun
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ddraver said:

Can't find the original source (if there is such a thing on twitter), but it seems Rog has spent most of the week training with WvA rather than, you know, The Slovenian Team... 😶

World's are fun

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    3 man break up the road in the men’s junior rr with Josh Tarling GB with 60K to go.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    The Juniors appear to of decided to change the rules.

Last one left wins. Its carnage out there.
  • It's pretty tight in the jnrs
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Why are they racing so early?