BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• john80 said:

It would seem to me that starting up an energy billing business probably does not require that much capital. Set it up when prices are low. Get as ma.y customers as you can and the persuade some fools to invest in your business whilst getting paid a couple of million to run it. Prices go up, you fold with three years pay and the remaining companies and consumers pay your debts. What is not to like.

From 5 years ago - when the founder and chief exec was 22.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/12/03/energy-market-simple-economics-says-22-year-old-avro-boss/
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Im sure once billions of heat pumps have been installed and we suck the heat out of the earth and push it into the sky with our poorly insulated houses we will be going back to gas as a greener alternative.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

john80 said:

It would seem to me that starting up an energy billing business probably does not require that much capital. Set it up when prices are low. Get as ma.y customers as you can and the persuade some fools to invest in your business whilst getting paid a couple of million to run it. Prices go up, you fold with three years pay and the remaining companies and consumers pay your debts. What is not to like.

From 5 years ago - when the founder and chief exec was 22.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/12/03/energy-market-simple-economics-says-22-year-old-avro-boss/
    I just looked at their June 2019 accounts. Didn't look good. Scarcely making an operating profit. Massive losses. Biggest creditor was prepayments by customers (Ofgem should crack down on that). Far less in assets.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I'd be interested in his top secret hedging strategy.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    mully79 said:

Im sure once billions of heat pumps have been installed and we suck the heat out of the earth and push it into the sky with our poorly insulated houses we will be going back to gas as a greener alternative.

I must confess to pondering this. What happens to the Earth's core?
    I came to the conclusion that people must know better. Right? 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    pblakeney said:

mully79 said:

Sounds like one for the What if...? Blog. For ASHP, even if the total amount of heat extracted from the atmosphere was enough to make a difference, it is being constantly topped up by that big star we are orbiting. By the time that runs out of puff we will be long gone anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney said:

mully79 said:

Ask La Palma if there's plenty heat down there.
  • pblakeney
    Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to.
    Still sure Hollywood could make a movie out of it though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    Ahhh, someone has never watched The Core... 😁

(Which is probably a good thing unless you're a stoner 1st year geology student)
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    True dat.
    Your second sentence has probably saved me some time too. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    It is a truly awful film. Both in terms of science and entertainment

Not even a so bad it's good film
    - @ddraver
  • Well, I suppose not having petrol in the car will be a different reason for the next WFH episode. It's all going so swimmingly well still... apart from a few teething troubles...

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I noticed a couple of petrol stations with no fuel heading into London the last few days, Shell and Tesco I think.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Esso as well according to the news on the radio just now. The panic buying will start soon to add to the problem.
  • Pross said:

Esso as well according to the news on the radio just now. The panic buying will start soon to add to the problem.

I like your thinking and will instruct the missus accordingly though she will whinge about filling up the can for the mower
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We filled up today, but still have a couple days left up here in Yorkshire before the drive back to Surrey.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868
    No sign of panic at the local tesco filling station.

So therefore I can conclude there's no problem. That's how it works right.
  • ddraver
    A few weeks WFH would be great for me personally. Last of the sunny evenings, 'n that.

Therefore it's good for the rest of the country...right?
    - @ddraver
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,047
    edited September 2021
    Jezyboy said:

I filled up last night - daughter off to Uni on Sunday so can’t be messing around - and the queue for the car wash was huge. I was the only person filling up though.

Are vital chemicals for car washes about to run out too?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

rjsterry said:

10 minutes of reading would tell you it's a silly idea. The word 'spaffing' springs to mind for some reason.

That is about my level of commitment. This article is quite balanced and points out some of the difficulties.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2019/09/bridge-between-scotland-and-northern-ireland-what-would-it-be

Naeem Hussain is global bridge design leader at design and engineering firm Arup. He has worked on some of the most challenging sea bridges on the planet. As well as Oresund and Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau, these include the Temburong Bridge in Brunei, the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link in India and Stonecutters Bridge in Hong Kong. He even has experience in Scotland with the Queensferry Crossing over the Firth of Forth. He agrees a Portpatrick-Larne bridge is “entirely practical and doable”, but to make it worthwhile, the roads on the Scottish side would need to be upgraded.

• The Government seems concerned about the thing that isn't happening.
    Have they tried the Waitrose round Stevo's way?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Until reading an article in the Times I had not realised that Boris was a recent convert to the idea of man made climate change. The main thrust of the article was that the best thing he could do for the cause would be to explain why he has had such a dramatic change of mind.
  • Jezyboy said:

The GMB live report about shortages was from the garage down the road from me. I assume this means that it's the end of the world in that it's local and on TV. I'm sure that's how it works.
  • The government still not thinking it might be an idea to issue temporary visa's to allow foreign drivers in to alleviate the problem in the short term?
  • The Government seems concerned about the thing that isn't happening.
    Have they tried the Waitrose round Stevo's way?

I think we just need Stevo on national TV to say "Crisis, what crisis?" to allay fears.
  • Until reading an article in the Times I had not realised that Boris was a recent convert to the idea of man made climate change. The main thrust of the article was that the best thing he could do for the cause would be to explain why he has had such a dramatic change of mind.

David Aaronovitch article. I assumed that the reason for the article was that there was no reason apart from it might be a popular stance.

The key bit in there was the bit about the Australian trade deal:

The second largest exporter of coal, after Indonesia, Australia was recently ranked bottom in the independent Climate Change Performance Index. The country is developing new mines, has no targets for renewables, plans on only a 26 to 28 per cent emissions reduction by 2030 and observers say that its plans don’t even meet that objective. It’s genuinely shocking.

Australian politics has worked in such a way that several prime ministers have in effect lost their jobs for promoting carbon reduction policies. The ultimate beneficiary has been the current prime minister, Scott Morrison. The man he ousted, the fellow conservative Malcolm Turnbull, said last year how “staggered” he was that “climate denialism still has the currency that it has, particularly given the evidence of the impact of climate change is now so apparent”.

Yet when Britain negotiated the famous trade deal with Australia earlier in the year, a clause including climate commitments and adherence to the 2015 Paris temperature goals was quietly dropped on the insistence of Morrison.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

The government still not thinking it might be an idea to issue temporary visa's to allow foreign drivers in to alleviate the problem in the short term?

The gov't has repeatedly made the priorities clear and it is anti-immigration, including for lorry drivers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Until reading an article in the Times I had not realised that Boris was a recent convert to the idea of man made climate change. The main thrust of the article was that the best thing he could do for the cause would be to explain why he has had such a dramatic change of mind.

Surely the best thing he could do would be keep quiet and stop emitting hot air?