Lightish weight carbon climbing bike with discs and integrated cables?

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited September 2021
    MattFalle said:

One word: pwwwoooaaarr

https://www.bottecchia.com/en/modelli/aerospace-2

big on the Continent, supply bikes to some pro teams (I first noticed them in the Giro this year?

Diffetent, lush, as good as anything else out there.

yeah. well worth it over a Tifosi.

I literally just found the Emme4 SLI!

The reason I know of them, aside from Lemond's TT tour win on one back in the day, is that my late cousin used to ride them, and it would be a nice link to the past if that makes sense.

The SLI as I understand it is meant to stand for Super light intergrated, confusingly on some of the pics you can see no cables, and on others you can see some poking out near the stem, so not quite sure what gives.

There is a UK FB page, but no updates for 18 months.
    I'm not really seeing any UK retailers which is sad.

My brother does live in Italy however, so could potentially go down that route, as we drive over every now and then.
    I'm assuming I wouldn't get hit for import duty/random fees/brexit lunacy charges when I bought it back into the country - it would be ridden out there whilst I stayed, and would not be boxed or anything that obvious.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    MattFalle said:

With Tifosi you're also paying £3k for an open mould frameset from some bloke in Wiltshire......

You could get a very nice Basso for that probs.....

The original Tifosi Mons was not open mould: it was designed to be one of the lightest frames in the world. Not sure about the latest disc brake incarnations though, but they're not a marque to set the heart racing.

I do like the Bassos though, and if I was going for a new rim brake frameset this one would be in there with a shout.

I'll throw this one into the ring: Arc8 Escapee. They also had rim brake version that ticked all the boxes: 27.4 seatpost, BSA BB, direct mount brakes.

I also have a soft spot for De Rosa bikes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    daniel_b said:

I have just read about the latest Tifosi Mons bike.

Might be a shade over your limit but maybe with different kit. Do check it out.

Sounds very light

Thanks @rick_chasey - do you happen to have a link, have had a search online, but faling to turn up anything recent, all seem to be from 2-3 years ago.
    Ah or did you read about it in Cyclist that Matt mentioned?

Factor are now written off for a few reasons, not least because they couldn't be @rsed to reply to either of my carefully crafted messages :D
    If they can't make contact for a potential sale, what on earth will it be like if there are issues :#
    Yes it was in cyclist.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    A bit of a deviation but looking at these links they all look very similar.
    I wonder how many come from the same moulds and are simply different paint jobs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

With Tifosi you're also paying £3k for an open mould frameset from some bloke in Wiltshire......

You could get a very nice Basso for that probs.....

The original Tifosi Mons was not open mould: it was designed to be one of the lightest frames in the world. Not sure about the latest disc brake incarnations though, but they're not a marque to set the heart racing.

I do like the Bassos though, and if I was going for a new rim brake frameset this one would be in there with a shout.

I'll throw this one into the ring: Arc8 Escapee. They also had rim brake version that ticked all the boxes: 27.4 seatpost, BSA BB, direct mount brakes.

I also have a soft spot for De Rosa bikes.
    this is why it was that light.

its jyst an open mould frame.

• MattFalle
    its easy to make an open mould frame 4.9kg when you bolt that stuff to it.

its a Tifosi.
  • Red Lab - Experience and innovation merge to combine Venetian craftsmanship with the most modern and international production techniques of the latest generation – the frames are chosen in Italy and then made in the Far East.
    Chrome Lab - Every ride you make you will feel like you are riding a different bicycle, to always give you a unique emotion. ALL STRICTLY MADE IN ITALY – it’s ‘painted’ in Italy.

Yet he bangs on about open mould bikes.

#fuckwit #toomanysoggybiscuitsinthebarracks
  • MattFalle said:

its a Tifosi.

So the analogy would be a Fiat with leather seats? Pretty sure you were dead keen on one of those...
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

its a Tifosi.

So the analogy would be a Fiat with leather seats? Pretty sure you were dead keen on one of those...
    more like a morris marina with leather seats...
  • MattFalle

Red Lab - Experience and innovation merge to combine Venetian craftsmanship with the most modern and international production techniques of the latest generation – the frames are chosen in Italy and then made in the Far East.
    Chrome Lab - Every ride you make you will feel like you are riding a different bicycle, to always give you a unique emotion. ALL STRICTLY MADE IN ITALY – it’s ‘painted’ in Italy.

Yet he bangs on about open mould bikes.

#fuckwit #toomanysoggybiscuitsinthebarracks

never said they weren't ya greatbellend, but they prettier than tgat tifosi trash
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

its a Tifosi.

more like a morris marina with leather seats...
    Posh Vauxhall, that's it.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    All the other companies I have contacted have come back with absolutely nothing - perhaps they don't have stock, but a reply to say so would have been nice.

The nearly new bike thing has taken an odd turn.

It's a small company who sell these nearly new bikes, and they admittedly have quite a few high quality pictures on their site and the ebay advert they clearly don't want you to buy through.

I'm very familiar with where the issues on the Scotts can arise, namely the headset needs to be fitted with all of the spacers, and washers in the right way, or it scratched the top tive where it turns, also the seat clamp if not fitted correctly can muller the seatpost, and finally the rear brake calliper if over tightened can effectively and expensively crush the rear stay.

I politely asked for some close up pictures of these areas, as well as of the shifters and the cranks, and had no reply.

Mailed again to get a reply saying that he found it a little unnerving that I was asking for such a level of detail - it is over 3ks worth of bike without any warranty (Understandably), and a 7 hour round trip away, and he won't spend 10 minutes taking pictures and sending them to me.

Personally I found that more unnerving, and thought it a weird attitude for someone who is apparently trying to make a living out of selling bikes :D

So that bike is now written off - is it just me who finds that really odd?
    Strangely it is still for sale - he's trying to sell it for more than they were new this time last year.

As luck/fate would have it, a brand new version has popped up, and I am really tempted by it.

It's only an hour or so's drive away, so may well go and look at it this coming week.

It won't be rare or exotic or anything, and not even that light to start with, but I suspect when I see it in the carbon it will be decided.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Urgestal is certainly one you don't see every day.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    and thats a pretty good deal as far as these things go

buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it now
  • MattFalle
    have you bought it yet?
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Errr no, I'm sure it's a high quality frame, but with the scarcity of parts, and groupsets I think I am after a complete bike.
    Twould be frustrating to get a frame, and then have to wait 18 months or so to get a grouspet for it, or have to settle for a groupset I don't really want.

Plus the paint job does nothing for me - no offence to anyone who likes it :-)

Oh and the hole on the downtube tells me it wouldn't be possible for it to take fully integrated cables.

Frustrating nothing heard back from Bottecchia - I had high hopes, maybe one for a few years time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    frame in stock

groupset in stock

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-red-etap-axs-2x-12sp-groupset

sorted

buy it, buy it, buy it now
  • daniel_b said:

Errr no, I'm sure it's a high quality frame, but with the scarcity of parts, and groupsets I think I am after a complete bike.
    Twould be frustrating to get a frame, and then have to wait 18 months or so to get a grouspet for it, or have to settle for a groupset I don't really want.

Plus the paint job does nothing for me - no offence to anyone who likes it :-)

Oh and the hole on the downtube tells me it wouldn't be possible for it to take fully integrated cables.

Frustrating nothing heard back from Bottecchia - I had high hopes, maybe one for a few years time.

Olympia Leader? Think there is a UK distributor. Italian, tick. Nice colours, tick.
  • Buy some columbus tubing, some lugs, and a blow torch. How hard can it be?
  • With the savings on that urgestal frame, you could get it repainted in whatever colour / style you choose.

So some combination of luminous yellow and grey...

When are you buying it?
  • MattFalle
    Have you bought the frameset and groupset yet?
  • MattFalle
    Has it arrived yet?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it now

Like a 4 year old having a tantrum lying face down on a supermarket floor screaming at his mum to buy his favourite sweetie.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512

Buy it buy it buy it.
  • MattFalle
    Have you bought it yet?
  • This build thread is useless without pics.
  • MattFalle
    this build thread is useless until he buys the urgenstergenbahl and the eTap groupset tbh....
  • Just buy a scott, right colours.