BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited September 2021
    Yikes. You learn something every day.

I guess it's just more evidence that progress doesn't reach people in the sticks.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I guess it's just more evidence that progress doesn't reach people in the sticks.

If you are an example of urban progress, god help humanity.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

My sister has oil heating (out in the sticks with no gas supply). The price fluctuations are huge. I think you can be quite savvy and buy your supplies when rates are lower even if you don't get it delivered at that time but it is still very volatile.

Honestly, the state of this place. Not even gas supplies to houses.
    In future news, The government will be banning gas boilers.
    I don't think they're gonna be replacing them with oil fires. They will be hooked up to another piping system.
    What's going to be coming through these pipes? Most (in the short term at least) will be replaced by air or ground source heat pumps as far as I'm aware. I think I'd already be going that way if I was reliant on oil or bottled gas though.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

My sister has oil heating (out in the sticks with no gas supply). The price fluctuations are huge. I think you can be quite savvy and buy your supplies when rates are lower even if you don't get it delivered at that time but it is still very volatile.

I don't think they're gonna be replacing them with oil fires. They will be hooked up to another piping system.
    What's going to be coming through these pipes? Most (in the short term at least) will be replaced by air or ground source heat pumps as far as I'm aware. I think I'd already be going that way if I was reliant on oil or bottled gas though.
    I had read something about much more prolific centralised heating ala NYC etc.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    webboo said:

Charming. Don't take it so seriously :P
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I had read something about much more prolific centralised heating ala NYC etc.
    How is the district heating being made?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Mate we only got proper broadband last year...

Big controversy at the moment is that rapha-esque clothing company Finisterre is leaving Cornwall and moving to Yorkshire despite building and marketing itself as a cornish/beach/surf lifestyle (?) brand. Much gnashing of teeth in the local press but it's hard to blame them when you realise how far behind the rest of the country the region is in terms of basic business infrastructure. (And that's before they try and find places to live).

If only there was some supra-national body that recognised these things and invested in regions that needed help catching up...ho hum...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross said:

You think the entire world is hooked up to a gas grid?
    Not the entire world, the rich world.
    I'm assuming you are basing this on a sample size of one - Netherlands. Sometimes you need to get out a bit more.
    Germany is the same.
    France isn't. It's called 'town gas' for a good reason. There's an awful lot of rural France too.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Mate we only got proper broadband last year...

Big controversy at the moment is that rapha-esque clothing company Finisterre is leaving Cornwall and moving to Yorkshire despite building and marketing itself as a cornish/beach/surf lifestyle (?) brand. Much gnashing of teeth in the local press but it's hard to blame them when you realise how far behind the rest of the country the region is in terms of basic business infrastructure. (And that's before they try and find places to live).

If only there was some supra-national body that recognised these things and invested in regions that needed help catching up...ho hum...
    Central London doesn't have decent internet either although there are lots of leased lines available for business. Anyway, the government has invested in OneWeb to sort you out.
  • webboo said:

the bizarre thing about this debate is that by any sensible definition you are in the sticks
  • rick_chasey

webboo said:

the bizarre thing about this debate is that by any sensible definition you are in the sticks
    My terraced house that is the size of a shoebox that has access to giggabit fibre broadband says otherwise.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm just waiting for Stevo to say that he's got plenty of gas for his boiler.

Funnily enough, the house we're buying has oil fired central heating and no gas :) (house buying attempt #2 after the last one fell through).
    Eek. I'd start enquiries into converting to some sort of heat pump.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean

webboo said:

My terraced house that is the size of a shoebox that has access to giggabit fibre broadband says otherwise.
    You haven't seen many former farmworkers houses then?
  • rjsterry

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I don't think that's UK specific to be honest. Lots of countries will rely on propane tanks or oil tanks in rural areas.
    That just adds to Rick's grievances about living in the sticks.
    if the gas pipes can't reach your house you're too far out.
    For all the bleating about how overcrowded the South East is, large parts of Kent Sussex and Surrey are pretty remote.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I don't think that's UK specific to be honest. Lots of countries will rely on propane tanks or oil tanks in rural areas.
    For all the bleating about how overcrowded the South East is, large parts of Kent Sussex and Surrey are pretty remote.
    This is a relative term. I haven't come across any that would meet my definition.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

webboo said:

Of course he hasn't. It's patently obvious from his comments that he's never been outside an urban area, and never encountered mud.
  • rick_chasey

webboo said:

Of course he hasn't. It's patently obvious from his comments that he's never been outside an urban area, and never encountered mud.
    Countryside is for cycling through, not living ;)

Honestly, don’t take it that seriously people.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm just waiting for Stevo to say that he's got plenty of gas for his boiler.

Funnily enough, the house we're buying has oil fired central heating and no gas :) (house buying attempt #2 after the last one fell through).
    Oh mate, don't do it! I couldn't tell you how long I've listened to people whine about how much faff that is.
    not so much the faff as the cost!!!! I would ask to see a few years delivery receipts
    Honestly, I have never heard so much whining from people about oil fired houses.

Christ alive. The regular days off to take delivery. The general maintenance. Running out of oil before the season is over. Delays in oil delivery. My favourite, the "my house is so big it's so much to heat. Oi, can you do that work so I can deliver it to the client and charge the next fee which i get 50% off and you none".

Honestly Stevo, don't do it.
    We replaced a oil boiler and tank a few years ago like for like. There is a tank gauge so you know where you are with quantity and I have never had to wait more than say 7 days for a fill. It is a pretty cheap way to heat a house and if serviced yearly is pretty reliable for say the 10 year boiler life. In rural places with no gas it is a no brainer in terms of cost. The only thing that could possibly beat it is if you can bring your probably old house up to modern regs for both air changes and insulation and have room to install substantial solar then a air source heat pump might work.
    This is not actually as difficult as you imply, especially if you are doing some renovation work anyway as many do when moving into somewhere new. And the PV is not essential - just a good way to offset the cost of running the heat pump.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• webboo said:

he lives in the Fens
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

This is a relative term. I haven't come across any that would meet my definition.
    Not Mongolia remote, no. But, quite a difference from somewhere like Reigate or Rochester.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens
    He lives in Cambridge, and gives the impression he doesn't like leaving the urban areas, unless in a train or in a car! He'd probably collapse in shock and panic if he went to the rural parts of the fens. B)

• rjsterry

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens
    He lives in Cambridge, and gives the impression he doesn't like leaving the urban areas, unless in a train or in a car! He'd probably collapse in shock and panic if he went to the rural parts of the fens. B)

He grew up there. I can understand not wanting to have much further to do with it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Not Mongolia remote, no. But, quite a difference from somewhere like Reigate or Rochester.
    They both have train stations, so despite my lack of local knowledge, I'm going to disagree.
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

They both have train stations, so despite my lack of local knowledge, I'm going to disagree.
    Which one of the two is supposed to be remote?
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Which one of the two is supposed to be remote?
    I think both are supposed to be examples of remote.
  • webboo said:

And if you want to complain that UK infrastructure is sometimes poor, I give you:

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    webboo said:

:D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

I am struggling to think of Cambridge as non-rural
  • rick_chasey

webboo said:

he lives in the Fens

I am struggling to think of Cambridge as non-rural
    It is literally a city
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2021

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

No, I meant parts of the Weald are remote in comparison to Reigate or Rochester. They're clearly not remote.
    Pinnacle Monzonite