Centennial Road World Championships, Flanders - 19-26 September 2021 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    edited September 2021
    Was wondering watching both Ganna and Reusser shift back on the saddle regularly while riding, how much time does that cost? Is it possible to estimate that? Obviously not enough to not be able to win, but some other riders are incredibly planted and hardly move (like Juliette Labous for example).
    Question is would Ganna for example be 5-6 seconds or even 20 seconds quicker if he didn't have to push himself back so often? Tony Martin's famous sandpaper saddle was necessary due to this this, so clearly there seems to be some impetus to avoid having to do it.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited September 2021
    The Eritrea kit looks really cool:

He needs white socks though.
  • m.r.m.
    It's a bit too much. Doesn't look polished. The same colors with black bibs with color borders at the bottom and super colorful jersey (maybe same colors in a mondrian scheme) would look mint imho.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2021
    I think the bike needs to match better, and the "eritrea" under jersey should be better aligned. And the socks like I said. It looks a bit unpolished - but it is cool IMO.
  • Needs red socks.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Needs red socks.

Perhaps he could get the Tour de France multipack and wear one yellow and one green.
  • Cracking ride from Zoe Backstedt, took a minute fifteen off the previous fastest. Still a few to come in but that's a serious target set
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Alena Ivanchenko RUS takes it by 10 seconds, Zoe gets silver.
  • bobmcstuff

Cracking ride from Zoe Backstedt, took a minute fifteen off the previous fastest. Still a few to come in but that's a serious target set

Is Magnus doing the commentary? Has he exploded yet?
  • m.r.m.
    Must be so incredible to have your kid(s) be awesome at something. Really happy for him!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    m.r.m. said:

Must be so incredible to have your kid(s) be awesome at something. Really happy for him!

Zoe's mum was a decent cyclist too (not Magnus level but a National Road Race champion back in the 90s).
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,899
    Can't see it changing anything but Sam Bennet has withdrawn from the RR on Sunday.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/sam-bennett-out-of-world-champs-statement-in-full-after-withdrawal/
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Zoe's mum was a decent cyclist too (not Magnus level but a National Road Race champion back in the 90s).
    Zoe's spent her cycling years smashing everyone in sight, be they boys or girls. I fully expect her to do the same as a young adult.
  • Ahem.

More viking TT gold 🥇
    Gustav Wang wins the jnr TT
    Carl-Frederik Bevort 4th
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Worth noting that the Brit male and female junior silver medallists are both first year juniors, so will still be eligible to ride the same event again next year.
  • Pross

Pross said:

m.r.m. said:

Zoe's spent her cycling years smashing everyone in sight, be they boys or girls. I fully expect her to do the same as a young adult.
    Yeah, I've seen her doing a fair few cross and circuit races. Talented family with Elynor as well.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    When she was an U14, she raced Good Friday at Castle Coombe. She won the U14s by a distance, boys too. She then rode the U16 immediately after and won the girls by a distance and I think was in top 5 or so overall!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's always bad when future pros come across us normos...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

When she was an U14, she raced Good Friday at Castle Coombe. She won the U14s by a distance, boys too. She then rode the U16 immediately after and won the girls by a distance and I think was in top 5 or so overall!

I remember watching Nicole Cooke do similar.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    This is so good I nearly started the race thread early...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    Is that Luke Rowe? Looks to lanky to be Kwiatkowski. Rowe has been looking quite lean recently.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Great result for Zoe Backstedt and really enjoyed hearing Magnus commentate on it, must have been very emotional for him.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    They need To tweak this mixed relay ttt.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Bit fumbled
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    They should make it that the second rider has to touch the lead rider of the next leg ... Or summit
  • Pross

Yeah it's rubbish. I'd have a 6 up of 3 men and 3 women and you have to finish 4 including at least 2 women. Would make for interesting tactics.
  • Pross
    Poles and Austrians seem to have confused the idea of a mixed team as one of each cross the line as a 2 up.
  • Pross
    There's a bit of a size mismatch in the Spanish women's team with two small Basque riders (on blue bikes) and a seeming giant on a different colour bike.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Yeah it's rubbish. I'd have a 6 up of 3 men and 3 women and you have to finish 4 including at least 2 women. Would make for interesting tactics.
    I wonder if the level of women's racing would go up to in pure speed terms too .... It would be about who had the two women who could hang on to a fast wheel ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2021
    Pross said:

It will just end up as an equivalent of a motor paced ITT for each country's second best women's TTer. That second best woman would sit on the wheel of the biggest man available while and the other woman would sit on her wheel. In front two men would ride to the second best woman's ITT schedule.

Over time someone will come with a more refined strategy, but I doubt it will involve the women taking a turn.
    Twitter: @RichN95