Bike fits

As a long time sceptic as to the benefits of a bike fit, I'm now a convert.
I changed my bike about a year ago and despite considerable tinkering, it didn't feel quite right, so I bit the bullet and booked a fit. The reasonably local vicinity and no connections to any retailler of the fitter, convinced me to fork out the cash.
After about five hours and numerous adjustments, a few of which seemed counter intuitive to me at the time, I still wasn't totally convinced.
However, now, after several rides of between 20 and 100 miles, I find my pedaling action feels smoother and more efficient, as well as experiencing improved comfort and reduced fatigue - in other words, this old boy feels like I'm now several years younger on the bike.
Have I just been lucky to find someone who could really help, or is this the general experience of those who've undertaken this, not inconsiderable costing investment?

Comments

• Five hours?
  • Five hours also included cleat setting and customable insoles; plus a couple of short try out rides and a snack and coffee break.
    Although initially, I wasn't totally convinced of the benefits, I was impressed by the thoroughness and it's only been during subsequent weeks I've become a convert.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Five hours?

this.

seriously? 5 hours?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2021
    Phil Gaimon's take on it and he's faster than everyone on here ever, but only very slightly ahead of me so I'd probably listen him more than some clubbie selling people a lifestyle.

• Can only read the title. You could share it without breach of copyright under the "fair dealing" exemption to do with education. In this instance, financial advice.
  • MattFalle
    I have no idea what any of your words mean, sorry.

The book is at work so i'll take another piccie tomorrow.

its from his "pro cyclist on $10 a day" autobiography.

quite a nice light read, not badly written.
  • MattFalle
    but essentially says just do it yourself - it ain't rocket science
  • MattFalle said:

I have no idea what any of your words mean, sorry.

The book is at work so i'll take another piccie tomorrow.

its from his "pro cyclist on $10 a day" autobiography.

quite a nice light read, not badly written.

It was clever and witty. You are going to want to pretend you understood, so just give it a like.
  • MattFalle
    All done

#bigthumbing
  • MattFalle

• MattFalle
    'ave some of that and don't say i never do nuffin' for you.
  • Sums up my experience pretty well.

My bike fitter had been on one of the courses that suggested having the pedal under the arches of your foot was better for power transfer, so moved my cleats back about 8 cm. I'm not kidding. Felt like it does when you ride in flipflops on holiday.

Also made the discomfort from my injury even worse, which is quite some achievement.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Never had a bike fit & don’t plan on getting one, there is a ton of information out there that will get you in the ballpark, the rest is just trial & error.

That’s not to say they don’t have a place. If the OP has gotten value out of it then it’s all good.

His money his choice.
  • MattFalle
    Never had one, never gonna have one, don't feel any need for it, but hey, buy into the lifestyle.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

Never had one, never gonna have one, don't feel any need for it, but hey, buy into the lifestyle.

Buying into a lifestyle, yeah, sounds like what the OP’s writing can be summed up about- if that’s what you (I know lots more than lots of people do) want to believe.
    The OP admits to being a sceptic but, as someone else on here said “If the OP has gotten value out of it then it’s all good.” It looks like he’s getting more out of it than he would have had had by throwing his money on some deep carbon rims that go “whoosh, whoosh”.
  • MattFalle
    Nice one fam.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

Phil Gaimon's take on it and he's faster than everyone on here ever, but only very slightly ahead of me so I'd probably listen him more than some clubbie selling people a lifestyle.

Maybe Gaimon would have had a more successful career if he’d had a bike fit - he never won a pro bike race.
    I’ll take a total stab in the dark that 1 or 2 riders that HAVE had a bike fit of some sort have won a professional bike race or 2 and some might have finished ahead of Gaimon in races he competed in.
    I love it how you so quickly pick some guy that backs up your personal POV when there are other valid and worthy perspectives.
  • MattFalle
    Great dit fam. Pull up a sandbag and tell us more.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Gaimon loving is a lifestyle choice, but it's not for everyone.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Gaimon is the bomb, yo.
  • I've never had a bike fit and probably never will but I would be curious just to see how a fitter changed my position - just not curious enough to spend the time and money to find out.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I've had 3 or 4 at a range of prices and have consistently had to move my position afterwards for comfort or injury issues. I always tried to give the new position a good 6 weeks of riding and at least a chain gang, if not a race, to really try it out.

IMO a bike fit is only really needed when you buy your first road bike to get you in the ballpark.
  • My bike fitter didn't use lasers or computer software - he just looked at my position on the bike; made minor incremental changes and then I had a couple of test rides.
    It worked for me and that's all I can say really.
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

Gaimon is the bomb, yo.

yeah, but Andyrr is obviously faster and knows more because Gaimon was only a pro and ARR rides for Clarion Wheelers Div 3.
  • Crydda said:

My bike fitter didn't use lasers or computer software - he just looked at my position on the bike; made minor incremental changes and then I had a couple of test rides.

Still struggling to figure out how it took 5 hours. Did it start with a wooden balance bike and go from there?

Even the retul one I had, where they dress you like the Golum actor and do motion capture only took 2 hours.

The bike fit I reverted to from 20 years earlier took about 15 minutes.

It is in the bike fitting industry's interests to make the simple seem as complicated as possible.

• MattFalle

Crydda said:

My bike fitter didn't use lasers or computer software - he just looked at my position on the bike; made minor incremental changes and then I had a couple of test rides.

Still struggling to figure out how it took 5 hours. Did it start with a wooden balance bike and go from there?

Even the retul one I had, where they dress you like the Golum actor and do motion capture only took 2 hours.

It is in the bike fitting industry's interests to make the simple seem as complicated as possible.

this. 5hrs. seriously?

how much did he charge you?
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

Crydda said:

this. 5hrs. seriously?

how much did he charge you?

Does it matter?

If the OP is happy enough - his money, his choice.
  • Or her, etc.

It only matters in the sense that it is bothersome that cycling is the new golf, with corresponding costs -Rather than the fairly accessible activity most of us were first attracted to, that only required one moderate financial outlay to get started.

It's depressing that in addition to several grands worth of bike and rapha clothing, getting an expensive bike fit seems increasingly to be an accepted precursor to giving it a jolly good go at a sportive.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Given the number of portly gentleman that I see cycling in a John Wayne style. There’s some fairly sh*tty bike fitters around.
  • webboo said:

Given the number of portly gentleman that I see cycling in a John Wayne style. There’s some fairly sh*tty bike fitters around.

You should have seen the "before".