The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Have a stinker of a cold and have to travel abroad today.

Here's hoping it's not rona. We'll find out soon enough.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    'rona' - is that what the hip guys are calling it now..?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

'rona' - is that what the hip guys are calling it now..?

The youngsters were apparently calling it Miss Rona last year. Don't ask me why, I haven't a clue.
  • rick_chasey
    Ja I have too much male pattern baldness to say miss rona.

Negative :) just a cold.
  • Ja I have too much male pattern baldness to say miss rona.

Just as well you're not having to sign the 'on your honour' statement about symptoms that the French insist on.

Good luck with the trip.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Wife having her booster next week (and no, she's not really old!)
  • rick_chasey

Ja I have too much male pattern baldness to say miss rona.

Just as well you're not having to sign the 'on your honour' statement about symptoms that the French insist on.

Good luck with the trip.
    Turns out you do….
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021

Forgot who you were for a bit there. For everyone else, that scientific American article is over a year old, so all the knowledge in it will be a bit out if date. I didn't read it.

It’s evolving relatively slowly, for the reasons I detailed. You should read it, it’s very much still valid.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ncovidius said:

Forgot who you were for a bit there. For everyone else, that scientific American article is over a year old, so all the knowledge in it will be a bit out if date. I didn't read it.

It’s evolving relatively slowly,
    So just like your good self. :p
  • The virus has hoisted itself on its own petard in a way. The ( relatively) long incubation period ( compared to original SARS ) was a massive problem, initially, as it meant a ( relatively) huge amount of virus was circulating before anyone realised there was a problem, and a lot of ( vulnerable) people, got a lethal viral load, before anything could be done to help them. The same mechanism helped us get ahead of it, once we realised what was happening. Once we knew that the key was to reduce the amount of virus ( through vaccination mostly ), because of the unusual ( for an R.N.A. virus ) way it works , it has actually had a chance to catch up with it’s self regulation / proof reading process, and given us a chance to put a metaphorical pillow over it’s face. As it stands, we are in the best position.
  • So the travel restrictions are being reduced. Doesn’t massively help me yet as the countries I want to go to aren’t too keen on receiving visitors from the UK, but hopefully that’ll change soonish.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mrb123 said:

webboo said:

Ncovidius said:

It’s evolving relatively slowly,
    So just like your good self. :p
    There have been a number of variants...

all of which have turned out to be rather unpleasant on closer examination...
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    Outside of the airport you wouldn’t know there was a pandemic on In Holland. Not a mask in sight anywhere, no social distancing, nothing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586

Outside of the airport you wouldn’t know there was a pandemic on In Holland. Not a mask in sight anywhere, no social distancing, nothing.

Question is - Is there still a pandemic there, or is that the reason there is still a pandemic?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Outside of the airport you wouldn’t know there was a pandemic on In Holland. Not a mask in sight anywhere, no social distancing, nothing.

Not like their vaccination program is going great either.

Mid table in the EU
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Equally no efforts for ventilation
  • Equally no efforts for ventilation

This is one of the biggest mysteries for me... how the most important part of mitigation is *still* not being hammered home, and why theatre of zealous sanitisation and screens is carrying on. It's not as if it won't have long-term benefits.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, for all the documentation you’re told you need, most of mine were not checked.

No one in Holland asked my purpose for visiting (thus deciding if I need to quarantine or not, nor could they find me if they wanted to check up if I was as they never asked for where I was staying) no one checked my vaccination status.

On my return to the uk none checked my corona test result, though the document you fill in does cover the double vaccination question and if you need to quarantine what your address is etc, including evidence you have a test booked for after you return.

I think this is airline dependent as my sister got thoroughly interrogated re paperwork on her flight but again, Dutch border police are not interested in enforcing corona rules.
  • rick_chasey

Not like their vaccination program is going great either.

Mid table in the EU
    I think infection rates are fairly low versus the uk but genuinely did not see a single mask on beyond the airport.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867

This is one of the biggest mysteries for me... how the most important part of mitigation is *still* not being hammered home, and why theatre of zealous sanitisation and screens is carrying on. It's not as if it won't have long-term benefits.
    One is easier than the other?

(opening a window is easy, but opening a window when it's a bit nippy is not great for customer comfort)
  • Jezyboy said:

One is easier than the other?

(opening a window is easy, but opening a window when it's a bit nippy is not great for customer comfort)

Well, I suppose I can almost understand the general public being wilfully ignorant of the science because they don't like to put on a jumper and open a window, but TF "Hands, Face, Space" still being a thing from government, when all the science points to 'hands, face' being a vanishingly small part of mitigation is utterly bonkers at this point.
  • I've just come back to Scotland from a trip to the SW. Basically as far as I can see everyone has full on covid fatigue down there and just wants their lives back.

I have some sympathy for this now, because the greater good for most of the people we want to visit is now served by us visiting or them coming to us, but I still wish there was more mask wearing.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Interesting meeting up with my brother who is over from BC for a couple of weeks. He is slightly freaked out by how relaxed things are in this country. They still have pretty strict mask wearing and limitations on numbers of people in shops, etc.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Also, for all the documentation you’re told you need, most of mine were not checked.

No one in Holland asked my purpose for visiting (thus deciding if I need to quarantine or not, nor could they find me if they wanted to check up if I was as they never asked for where I was staying) no one checked my vaccination status.

On my return to the uk none checked my corona test result, though the document you fill in does cover the double vaccination question and if you need to quarantine what your address is etc, including evidence you have a test booked for after you return.

I think this is airline dependent as my sister got thoroughly interrogated re paperwork on her flight but again, Dutch border police are not interested in enforcing corona rules.

Out of curiosity, do you travel on a British or Dutch passport as I am wondering if being viewed as Dutch or British changes the approach the border police take.
  • When will be allowed to draw any conclusions about strategies?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/19/slow-but-steady-has-seen-the-eu-win-out-in-the-vaccine-race

But, in general, European decisions are paying dividends. The bloc’s Covid passport, showing proof of vaccination, recovery or a negative test, has allowed millions of EU citizens to holiday abroad this summer with minimal fuss, encouraging take-up.

National vaccination drives have also been boosted, sometimes dramatically, in more than a dozen EU countries by domestic health passes, now needed to access anything from museums and gyms to cafes, shopping centres and trains.

Further to increasing vaccination rates, many member states have – in contrast to the UK – already administered first jabs to as many as 80% of 12 to 17-year-olds.

Rather than being a marathon not a sprint, as EU officials like to say, vaccination campaigns should probably be both. But after a slow start that will certainly have cost lives, the EU’s collective approach may, finally, be paying off.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    I beleive its happened now Brian so there's no point in dwelling on the past.
  • That doesn't account for the lives saved by getting there quickly - all countries were eventually going to converge. That isn't news. The UK did well on vaccines. The UK has done badly on basically absolutely everything else. That's not news either. So, just another dramatically headlined but generally not particularly insightful Guardian opinion piece.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021

Also, for all the documentation you’re told you need, most of mine were not checked.

Out of curiosity, do you travel on a British or Dutch passport as I am wondering if being viewed as Dutch or British changes the approach the border police take.
    I always use the passport for the destination nation. So when I fly out I use Ned and back I use GB

“What was the purpose for your visit to England?”

“I live there”

“Ok safe travels”