Lightweight (Sub 1400g) carbon clincher wheels for disc brakes

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,576
edited September 2021 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

If I happened to be in the market for some lightweight carbon clincher wheels for a climbing bike, can I do any better than these Winspace Hyper 38s for £1000 (From a UK retailer) weighing in at a reputed 1374g?

Black inc make a shallower set weighing a phenomenally low 1240g, but they are £2200!

Any brands/models, or wheel builders I am missing who might be worth looking at?

I'm not very heavy, and have run a pair of 1320g rim brake wheels with zero issues.

Thanks
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I have some LightBicycle AR36 Flyweight rims, built by them onto Novatec hubs with CX-Ray spokes. The pair weigh under 1250g on my own scales, and cost me $1000 (roughly £725) including shipping last May. They do have to come through customs etc, but definitely worth a look.
  • Talk to Lee at Zedbikewheels.com . He’s a wheel builder up ‘north who makes some really great, light wheels. I’m fairly confident you’ll get a disc wheelset for your target weight (or lighter) for your budget. Plus it’ll be handbuilt, and he has a good warranty, and replacement service. I have a set of 38mm clinchers from him which are 1200g and absolutely love them. They were immaculately put together and Lee’s a top chap to deal with - looking at his website I think he has some new disc wheel builds on the go.
  • wavefront said:

Talk to Lee at Zedbikewheels.com . He’s a wheel builder up ‘north who makes some really great, light wheels. I’m fairly confident you’ll get a disc wheelset for your target weight (or lighter) for your budget. Plus it’ll be handbuilt, and he has a good warranty, and replacement service. I have a set of 38mm clinchers from him which are 1200g and absolutely love them. They were immaculately put together and Lee’s a top chap to deal with - looking at his website I think he has some new disc wheel builds on the go.

What hubs does he use?
  • daniel_b
    wavefront said:

Talk to Lee at Zedbikewheels.com . He’s a wheel builder up ‘north who makes some really great, light wheels. I’m fairly confident you’ll get a disc wheelset for your target weight (or lighter) for your budget. Plus it’ll be handbuilt, and he has a good warranty, and replacement service. I have a set of 38mm clinchers from him which are 1200g and absolutely love them. They were immaculately put together and Lee’s a top chap to deal with - looking at his website I think he has some new disc wheel builds on the go.

I have just dropped him a line.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    I thought Zed was dead Baby?
  • Nice.
  • daniel_b

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Damn that's a great movie. How is it nearly 30 years old?