TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,212

Not a regular on this thread so apologies if already covered but I watched the first episode of 9:11 One Day in America and it is the best thing I have seen in ages.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGEssh5UAak

What was good about it?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

daniel_b said:

I've just started watching the Italian series Thou Shalt not kill
    https://channel4.com/programmes/thou-shalt-not-kill

Watch out for the episode where she almost has to wear something that isn't grey.
    Definitely left wide open for series 4, then along came Covid.....
    Non Uccidere?

It stopped in 2018 due to poor viewing figures long before Covid. No Series 3 (there are two series, S1 with 12 episodes and S2 with 24 episodes_

Unfortunately it leaves questions unanswered, which is disappointing for the viewer.

Miriam Leone has just starred in Diabolik (delayed due to Covid)

https://youtu.be/xxVdp9mDD54

El Embarcadero is a must for la Casa de Papel fans

https://youtu.be/rMwuyI2HyBI

If you like Turin and the environs la Fuggitiva might be worth catching.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Watch out for the episode where she almost has to wear something that isn't grey.
    Non Uccidere?

It stopped in 2018 due to poor viewing figures long before Covid. No Series 3 (there are two series, S1 with 12 episodes and S2 with 24 episodes_

Unfortunately it leaves questions unanswered, which is disappointing for the viewer.

Miriam Leone has just starred in Diabolik (delayed due to Covid)

That is sad :-(

On All4 where they show it in the UK, they have made it to appear as 3 series in 12 episode chunks.

Diabolik looks good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Not a regular on this thread so apologies if already covered but I watched the first episode of 9:11 One Day in America and it is the best thing I have seen in ages.

What was good about it?
    Wry good splicing together of original footage and interviews with people who were there. If you find somebody describing what it is like to be on the 80th floor of a building with a jet airline screaming towards them interesting then watch it
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    edited September 2021
    daniel_b said:

Really boils my piss when they do that.

You may be able to find "Love under house arrest" with Miriam, set in Rome

https://youtu.be/8_x5YtrYmd4

There is also "1992", from when she was a bit younger but it is very raunchy.

https://youtu.be/QuRut2fNjt8

You can find the whole first season on Daily Motion
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey

Not a regular on this thread so apologies if already covered but I watched the first episode of 9:11 One Day in America and it is the best thing I have seen in ages.

What was good about it?
    Wry good splicing together of original footage and interviews with people who were there. If you find somebody describing what it is like to be on the 80th floor of a building with a jet airline screaming towards them interesting then watch it
    Is it different to the one where they put all the homemade footage in chronological order?
  • Not a regular on this thread so apologies if already covered but I watched the first episode of 9:11 One Day in America and it is the best thing I have seen in ages.

What was good about it?
    Is it different to the one where they put all the homemade footage in chronological order?
    It is Nat Geo in conjunction with the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum. It tells the story through original footage and survivors telling their stories to fit the timeframe of the morning.

Other than on the day and the documentary made by the French film crew with a fire crew I have not watched much but this is very good.

Just give it a go and see what you think
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Really boils my piss when they do that.

You may be able to find "Love under house arrest" with Miriam, set in Rome

https://youtu.be/8_x5YtrYmd4

There is also "1992", from when she was a bit younger but it is very raunchy.

You can find the whole first season on Daily Motion
    Thankyou :-)

I'll look up Love under House arrest, and see what I can find, and 1992 sounds terrible, no way I would choose to watch something raunchy with Miss Leone in it o:)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey

What was good about it?
    It is Nat Geo in conjunction with the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum. It tells the story through original footage and survivors telling their stories to fit the timeframe of the morning.

Other than on the day and the documentary made by the French film crew with a fire crew I have not watched much but this is very good.

Yeah sorry. I only ask as the time i have to watch TV that I want to watch is so limited that I need to make it count!
  • davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Non Uccidere?

You are right, but in the UK, Channel 4 split series 2, where the double headers finished and called it series 3.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b

davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Non Uccidere?

You are right, but in the UK, Channel 4 split series 2, where the double headers finished and called it series 3.
    Ah so series 3 as it were, is just standalone episodes?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18

What was good about it?

Yeah sorry. I only ask as the time i have to watch TV that I want to watch is so limited that I need to make it count!
    I can't remember the last time I went 3 days without watching sport/war
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited September 2021
    There used to a be a show called The Champions, originally from the 60s, that used to be shown on BBC2 around 6pm on weekday evenings when i was a kid. Was up early this morning and noticed it was on GreatTV or some such at that time of the morning and was still quite enjoyable. 3x secret agent types flying over the Himalaya's crash and are rescued by some mystics who fix them up and somehow install them with enhanced strength and abilities (so a bit superhero-ish - ahead of it's time!). Think of it as a cross between The Avengers and Marvel.

I also remember, even as a child thinking that Alexandra Bastedo, who plays one of the leads, was the most beautiful woman i'd ever seen. The show and Alexandra both hold up in my opinion!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b said:

davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Non Uccidere?

Ah so series 3 as it were, is just standalone episodes?
    Yup
  • elbowloh said:

There used to a be a show called The Champions, originally from the 60s, that used to be shown on BBC2 around 6pm on weekday evenings when i was a kid. Was up early this morning and noticed it was on GreatTV or some such at that time of the morning and was still quite enjoyable. 3x secret agent types flying over the Himalaya's crash and are rescued by some mystics who fix them up and somehow install them with enhanced strength and abilities (so a bit superhero-ish - ahead of it's time!). Think of it as a cross between The Avengers and Marvel.

I also remember, even as a child thinking that Alexandra Bastedo, who plays one of the leads, was the most beautiful woman i'd ever seen. The show and Alexandra both hold up in my opinion!

It’s also been on Talking pictures and ITV4 recently
  • I watched the 9/11 program on iplayer, The War Room was the title I think, and despite having interviews with all the main players it managed the feat of being an unremarkable program about one of the most remarkable events in modern times.
  • daniel_b
    Vigil is pretty good on BBC, 3 episodes in so far, and also Endeavour (Both with the excellent Shaun Evans) started on Sunday.

I've not watched it yet, so no spoilers please, but reputed to be the final series.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I watched the 9/11 program on iplayer, The War Room was the title I think, and despite having interviews with all the main players it managed the feat of being an unremarkable program about one of the most remarkable events in modern times.

nope, it was 9/11 One Day in America made by Nat Geo

ah misunderstanding there, I was aware it was not the same program, I meant I watched the documentary particular to iPlayer.
  • daniel_b said:

Vigil is pretty good on BBC, 3 episodes in so far, and also Endeavour (Both with the excellent Shaun Evans) started on Sunday.

I've not watched it yet, so no spoilers please, but reputed to be the final series.

From the Daily Express article speculating that this is the final series of Endeavour:

However, it looks certain that season eight will not be the last for the show, as ITV has not made any announcements on whether this batch of episodes will conclude the story.
    This also aligns with what stars Shaun Evans and Roger Allam have alluded to, hinting that there is still more story to be told.

Rumours eh?

ah misunderstanding there, I was aware it was not the same program, I meant I watched the documentary particular to iPlayer.
    A failure of my comprehension skills.

I don’t watch much British TV but last night watched C4 OBL The Road to 9/11 and was like your description of lots of main players but the end product was unremarkable to the point of boring.
  • daniel_b

daniel_b said:

From the Daily Express article speculating that this is the final series of Endeavour:

However, it looks certain that season eight will not be the last for the show, as ITV has not made any announcements on whether this batch of episodes will conclude the story.
    This also aligns with what stars Shaun Evans and Roger Allam have alluded to, hinting that there is still more story to be told.

Rumours eh?
    The daily express is where truth goes to die however.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    The Thou shalt not kill theme tune is quite haunting and often playing in my head now repeatedly.

About 16 or 17 episodes in now, and it just seems to get better the more it goes on.
    Astounded the ratings dropped so far :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,877
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The rooftop concert in full for the first time as well as everything else.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    On the other hand Disney have remade Home Alone, even they've called it Home Sweet Home Alone, the plot is virtually identical.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    I'm on the second season of Treme - very watchable, and superb acting & production values, though because the music is so brilliant, and brilliantly done (assuming some of the lead actors are miming, they have actually learnt to mime every single note perfectly, if so), it's not very easy for me to do my trumpet practice at the same time. I should really have chosen something with very little music for the purpose.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    morstar said:

Apologies for low brow recommendation but I am currently very much enjoying Upload on Amazon Prime.

Similar to The Good Place for gentle, slightly offbeat harmless comedy.

I do enjoy lots of challenging stuff but sometimes just want to chuckle and I regularly have done watching this.

I was going to thank you for this. Ticked all the boxes for light hearted nonsense and elevated by the darker than expected back story. That series ending though? Bad.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Looks great... sign me up.

Anybody know why the footage was locked away for 50 years?