Weird noise at rear wheel

Did a long gravel ride at weekend and near the end when in lowest 4 or 5 gears (big cogs) there was a noise like a dry bearing rumble soon as went into bigger gears disappeared.
i cleaned, degreased chain and derailleurs and re lubed. However same noise. What is strange is that it starts around 4 or 5 from biggest sprocket, if go up one more and then drop it back to original rumbling gear the sound disappears?

i have a giant revolt with GRX x 1 with a 11-42 rear.

Anyone have any experience thoughts or ideas before i start taking it all apart and probably failing to fins the cause?

Comments

• Its the clutch on the derailleur. Noise only there when it is on and also much harder to change gears. Anyone know if something can be done?
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021

Its the clutch on the derailleur. Noise only there when it is on and also much harder to change gears. Anyone know if something can be done?

My first port of call would be to check it to see if it’s got some gravelly debris stuck in it somewhere. Give it a really good clean and lube, and see if that sorts it. Then check to see if it’s been damaged or knocked. If the ride was wet and mucky, it might be worth whipping the cable out and giving the inner and outer a clean and lube as well.