Is front wheel supposed to bend to the left when pushing down on the handlebars ?

Hello so I have bought a used voodoo hoodoo , and when I was pushing down on the handlebars to test the suspension I noticed the wheel appears to move to the left a little or it seems to .
Or is it bending because of pressure applied to it when pushing down .
Also when I took the wheel off the skewer wasn't all the way through so there wasn't any thread on one side to go to the fork . So it's only only had one thread for God knows how long .
Or could it be the wheel just needs truing

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    No. The wheel should not turn or bend.

Can you show in a photo this effect? Also of the skewer?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited September 2021
    Sounds a bit like your describing the axle is off centre with no threaded end sticking out on one side for the fork dropout to sit on rather than the skewer? If so, do not ride until it's sorted.
  • Ill try and get it on camera when I'm home . But it's so slight I don't think a camera would capture it .
    I've been reading that forks can move when under pressure ?
  • elbowloh

Ill try and get it on camera when I'm home . But it's so slight I don't think a camera would capture it .

Not from you just pushing down to test the suspension!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Sounds a bit like your describing the axle is off centre rather than the skewer? If so do not ride until it's sorted.

Does the 4or5 length of thread which sticks out of either side act as the axel? Bit weird to have it threaded does that not cause it to wear the metal on the forks down ?
    When I took the wheel off only one side had the thread so I to make it equal .
    Could the fact that it only had a length of axle on one side caused the forks to wear unevenly ? I measured the part where the axle sits and they seem the same .
  • elbowloh said:

Ill try and get it on camera when I'm home . But it's so slight I don't think a camera would capture it .

Every bike I've had I've been able to move suspension forks with my hand with the wheel off tho
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

Every bike I've had I've been able to move suspension forks with my hand with the wheel off tho
    Yeah, they're supposed to go up and down, not left or right!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2021

Sounds a bit like your describing the axle is off centre rather than the skewer? If so do not ride until it's sorted.

Does the 4or5 length of thread which sticks out of either side act as the axel? Bit weird to have it threaded does that not cause it to wear the metal on the forks down ?
    When I took the wheel off only one side had the thread so I to make it equal .
    Could the fact that it only had a length of axle on one side caused the forks to wear unevenly ? I measured the part where the axle sits and they seem the same .
    The axle in your type of quick release hub is threaded along the whole or most of its length, this is normal.

It's vital that there is even amounts of thread on either side sticking out past the outer axle nuts as those small bits are the only thing the forks rest on.

The exposed axle ends must also not be too wide and both should sit within the outside of the fork dropouts so the skewer can do it's job and tighten/pull the forks onto the hub.
  • Forks will deflect under cornering loads, but not just from pressing down on the bars.

Unless the wheel has totally worn-out bearings or the spokes are slack then the wheel itself is pretty rigid and unlikely to be the culprit

As others have indicated, I suspect that there is something wrong with the way the wheel is mounted to the forks. Do not ride until this is resolved. It may just need a new skewer. You can buy a new set for front & rear for a tenner from Halfords.
  • Thanks for the help I've booked it in Halfords for a free safety check this afternoon , see what they say aswell I know it's the best place in the world but they'll know more than me lol .
    Then after that I'll have to buy some tools etc but the new models are coming into the shop soon so I don't know whether to just buy new and save the headaches lol
  • Forks will deflect under cornering loads, but not just from pressing down on the bars.

Unless the wheel has totally worn-out bearings or the spokes are slack then the wheel itself is pretty rigid and unlikely to be the culprit

As others have indicated, I suspect that there is something wrong with the way the wheel is mounted to the forks. Do not ride until this is resolved. It may just need a new skewer. You can buy a new set for front & rear for a tenner from Halfords.

I took the skewer out this morning before work , didn't have any tools so couldn't take the lever part off but slid everything else off the skewer .
    I placed it on the kitchen worktop with the lever hanging over the edge .
    And when I roll it , it looks very slightly bent you can see light pass through between the skewer and worktop every half turn .
    So it fully blocks the light for half a turn then let's it through again .
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The axle should protrude by the same amount on each end of the hub. It is this that sits in the fork drop outs.
    The skewer is simply a mechanism for 'locking' the wheel in place. It should be straight but a slight bend won't really make any difference. If you are concerned though just buy a new skewer. They are cheap and easy to come by.

It sounds like someone may have stripped the front hub down and when rebuilding it have failed to centre the axle. The wheel was then refitted but the axle was only contacting one drop out. This would account for the wheel moving to the side when you compressed the forks.
    Explain what has happened to Halfords and ask them to make sure the axle is centred and the axle nuts are correctly tightened.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514

presumably the skewer is bent because in the absence of an axle for the dropout to sit on, the skewer has been acting as the support. On that basis, I'd replace the skewer as well as getting the axle centred.
  • monkimark said:

presumably the skewer is bent because in the absence of an axle for the dropout to sit on, the skewer has been acting as the support. On that basis, I'd replace the skewer as well as getting the axle centred.

This is exactly what I meant so on the side with the axle in the dropout the axle as been on a angle in the dropout , which I'm worried as worn some of the metal on the dropout away .
    Can dropouts be redrilled or whatever you would call the process?
    I took it to Halfords for a free bike check and the guy said it was fine I told him my concerns and how I found it and he checked it a few times and said it was ok . But I'm still sure the top of the tyre is over to one side a few millimetres more than the other
  • reaperactual
    edited September 2021

monkimark said:

This is exactly what I meant so on the side with the axle in the dropout the axle as been on a angle in the dropout , which I'm worried as worn some of the metal on the dropout away .
    Can dropouts be redrilled or whatever you would call the process?
    I took it to Halfords for a free bike check and the guy said it was fine I told him my concerns and how I found it and he checked it a few times and said it was ok . But I'm still sure the top of the tyre is over to one side a few millimetres more than the other
    Can't say I've ever come across a situation where a dropout or axle thread would be worn away to an extent it throws the wheel alignment off. Bike shops says it's okay so does it all feel normal to ride?

All I can suggest is try and accurately measure the clearance difference between each side of the wheel rim and forks at quarter intervals to take into account any slight untrue wheel run.

Try posting some detailed pics of the dropouts and worn axle, it may help see exactly what or if it could/needs be sorted out in some way.