Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    In fairness the doping books are a lot more interesting than the standard "I was born, I was really good at this sport, then I got a contract, then I tried really hard and won a thing" sports book.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • What is it with people not really having as much interest in football nowadays?

I am totally over it. I was an Arsenal fan as well from the late 1970s but just moved on from the game.

Noooooooooo! You brought me here from an Arsenal message board!

But as for the question, I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in Arsenal as I used to be, a factor of age/lifestyle and possibly the money takeover of football. I'm happy we aren't a billionaire's life-sized Subbuteo team, but I'd happily go back to the days when it wasn't all about money, back to Highbury...
    Still feel that way about investment mate ? :)

Amazingly this years Euros got me back interested in top flight football (as much as I love Weymouth FC they aren't that good!!).
  • What is it with people not really having as much interest in football nowadays?

I am totally over it. I was an Arsenal fan as well from the late 1970s but just moved on from the game.

But as for the question, I'm not nearly as emotionally invested in Arsenal as I used to be, a factor of age/lifestyle and possibly the money takeover of football. I'm happy we aren't a billionaire's life-sized Subbuteo team, but I'd happily go back to the days when it wasn't all about money, back to Highbury...

Amazingly this years Euros got me back interested in top flight football (as much as I love Weymouth FC they aren't that good!!).
    Although dorchester vs Weymouth does pull a big crowd.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited September 2021
    Whoops wrong thread...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875

What is it with people not really having as much interest in football nowadays?

Although dorchester vs Weymouth does pull a big crowd.
    Been to a few those in the distant past, always good to see the Magpies put the Terras to the sword! :D
  • pah... up the super seasiders.

(Nice to see Dorch get their first win this weekend by the way ;) )
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited September 2021
    Olympic silver medalist Ujah’s B sample is positive as well. I say Olympic silver medalist but I guess not for long now.

I'm still not into being bankrolled by a Billionaire, and luckily we still don't seem to be, unless I missed something 😉 Spent a lot but impressed it was on long term younger players.

Anyway, 26 years waiting for Arsenal to come to Denmark and at last it's happening! It's the women's team, but at least I should be able to get tickets 😅 And Vivianne Miedema is ridiculous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

I'm still not into being bankrolled by a Billionaire, and luckily we still don't seem to be, unless I missed something 😉 Spent a lot but impressed it was on long term younger players.

Anyway, 26 years waiting for Arsenal to come to Denmark and at last it's happening! It's the women's team, but at least I should be able to get tickets 😅 And Vivianne Miedema is ridiculous.
    You can chat to TGH's girlfriend about Hackney and cycling if you're lucky.
  • andyp said:

You can chat to TGH's girlfriend about Hackney and cycling if you're lucky.
    Blimey, I'm really behind on the gossip front. Hope they get married and opt for the quadruple barreled surname 😅
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • webboo said:

Olympic silver medalist Ujah’s B sample is positive as well. I say Olympic silver medalist but I guess not for long now.

It's interesting that this story on the BBC isn't even a Sports Headline. I bet if it was a British Cyclist testing positive in the Tour it would be top of the pile!

I wonder how the other 3 managed to avoid detection.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

webboo said:

It's interesting that this story on the BBC isn't even a Sports Headline. I bet if it was a British Cyclist testing positive in the Tour it would be top of the pile!

I wonder how the other 3 managed to avoid detection.
    It was on the BBC sport and main news pages as a headline last night
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah it was on the main BBC news page, it was showing in the top stories section on my app this morning.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    The B sample isn't really more news than the A sample, so not that concerning.

I wonder about the teammates; if Ujah ends up with a credible explanation (e.g. a specific batch of a supplement tainted and agreed by the manufacturer as being tainted) then you'd hope they support him. But anything other than that and any weakness of their criticism of him imputes tolerance of doping on their part which I would find quite hard to swallow.

They don't live in each others' pockets like a cycling team, ultimately they are all individual performers who are brought together occasionally for relay activities, but you would expect at least one of them to be "in the know" if Ujah was intentionally doping.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ddraver
    Would you? Given that they re directly competing against each other for the rest of the time...
    - @ddraver
  • You must have a different BBC website to me then. Wasn't on the main headline last night or this morning for me.

Every top level sport is dirty IMO.
  • There's currently only one potential (not actual) doping story that the BBC would be desperate to bury.
    Dan Roan, on the other hand, would probably have quite a few.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Yeah it was on the main BBC news page, it was showing in the top stories section on my app this morning.

Still on mine now
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobmcstuff
    elbowloh said:

Still on mine now
    Yes - it was in the main BBC News app top stories as well, not just the Sport one.

Has dropped off now though I think.
  • larkim
    ddraver said:

Would you? Given that they re directly competing against each other for the rest of the time...

They've tried to create something of a team mentality for the relay squads; and I reckon in those squads there are "buddies" in the GB team rather than the US team which is just a group of out and out individuals. When you know your only hope of an Olympic medal is through the team performance I suppose that galvanises a little.

I could be entirely wrong and they keep entirely to themselves, but that quartet have been getting a lot closer in the last few years.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    phreak said:

As for micro-dosing, especially that of EPO, Lappartient explains that some riders receive three controls in a day "not that they are targeted but because they are the best"

:)

• larkim
    "Today, there are not especially motors that do not emit magnetic fields."

What does that sentence even mean?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    That article is just a bit of keerap baiting for clicks. Oh, that worked then.
  • bobmcstuff
    larkim said:

There aren't motors that don't emit magnetic fields - it's just a bit of Frenglish.

Although in some quarters there still exists a belief in these magical super efficient motors which don't generate magnetic fields and can be mounted in the hub and rim of the bike but somehow are only used in pro cycling.

I think if they're doing the magnetic checks, some x rays, and even disassembling a few bikes I don't see what more they can do really.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2021

Although in some quarters there still exists a belief in these magical super efficient motors which don't generate magnetic fields and can be mounted in the hub and rim of the bike but somehow are only used in pro cycling.

And invented in the late 1990s by a genius Hungarian inventor who didn't file a patent until 2015 (and that was for a bracket)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    larkim said:

So, all the things that were happening before he became President are no longer happening - is that the correct interpretation?
  • bobmcstuff
    edited September 2021
    Pross said:

larkim said:

So, all the things that were happening before he became President are no longer happening - is that the correct interpretation?
    No.

All he's saying is that there aren't motors which don't emit magnetic fields... I don't see the implication that that's changed...

If you read the full quote the use of "today" is forward looking not backward looking - in plain English he says that today you can't get motors which can't be detected by magnetic fields, but they need to keep an eye on future developments.