Removing stuck pedals

13»

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    edited September 2021
    mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

I've mentioned this before on here, but perhaps worth repeating this technique as it removes the need to remember which way the threads are and there's also no risk of skinning knuckles on the chainset...

Point crank forward towards front of bike, parallel with the ground.
    Apply Allen key or pedal spanner so that it points the same way, effectively continuing the line of the crank.
    Hold end of Allen key/spanner in your hand. Push down on pedal/end of crank with your foot.

So if RHS pedal has standard thread and LHS pedal has reversed thread, this is to tighten them then?

As per pic?

The technique I describe above is for removing the pedals.

For fitting pedals, all you need to remember is to screw them in in the direction the wheels would spin when riding, i.e. rotate forwards.
    Your technique describes removing pedals if you have your bike upside down! The way you describe it as interpreted by my illustration would mean you are tightening them!

If in doubt then “Park Tool” it

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/pedal-installation-and-removal

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,585

mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

I've mentioned this before on here, but perhaps worth repeating this technique as it removes the need to remember which way the threads are and there's also no risk of skinning knuckles on the chainset...

Apply Allen key or pedal spanner so that it points the same way, effectively continuing the line of the crank.
    Hold end of Allen key/spanner in your hand. Push down on pedal/end of crank with your foot.

So if RHS pedal has standard thread and LHS pedal has reversed thread, this is to tighten them then?

As per pic?

For fitting pedals, all you need to remember is to screw them in in the direction the wheels would spin when riding, i.e. rotate forwards.
    Your technique describes removing pedals if you have your bike upside down! The way you describe it as interpreted by my illustration would mean you are tightening them!

I don't think you've interpreted my description correctly.

Video demonstration here of similar technique...
    https://youtu.be/qTtxoheAG10
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

As per pic?

I don't think you've interpreted my description correctly.

Video demonstration here of similar technique...
    https://youtu.be/qTtxoheAG10
    Ah! Makes perfect sense now. “A video is worth a million words” as they say.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pblakeney said:

Right pedal (cranks) - Right Hand (normal) thread. Right (clockwise) to tight.
    Left pedal - Left Hand (opposite to normal) thread. Left (anti-clockwise) to tight.

So right is right and left is wrong, should remember that being wrong handed 😂
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,600
    edited September 2021

pblakeney said:

Left pedal - Left Hand (opposite to normal) thread. Left (anti-clockwise) to tight.

That hurts! Especially as I am left handed too.
    I think of opposite to normal as being exceptional. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That hurts! Especially as I am left handed too.
    I think of opposite to normal as being exceptional. 😉
    The word sinister is derived from 'sinistra' meaning left, as a right hander that lives in fear of our superiority keeps telling me :D
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021

That’s one of my Ultegra pedals. It’s a bit scuffed, but it says “Tighten” with the direction of rotation ( and 10Nm recommended Torque setting ).