Shrinking flabby brifter hoods?

My rhs shimano 6800 brifter hood has started to go a bit 'flabby'. Is there a way to shrink it back to size? I thought about putting it in the freezer but I think I read somewhere that has the opposite effect. Has anyone managed to do this?

TIA

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    "flabby brifter hoods" is a euphemism for love handles, no?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• haha I wondered if it might be something like that :-) nope, I'm not looking to lose weight (or at least I'm not looking for advice on that in the workshop forum!). Maybe If I said brake hoods that is clearer?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    You can get a brand new set for £12 so it might not be worth faffing trying to devise a shrinking ray gun etc.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-levers/shimano-ultegra-st6800-bracket-covers-black-y00e98080/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Newer ones don't turn into wizards sleeves as fast.
  • My rhs shimano 6800 brifter hood has started to go a bit 'flabby'. Is there a way to shrink it back to size? I thought about putting it in the freezer but I think I read somewhere that has the opposite effect. Has anyone managed to do this?

TIA

Yep, the polymers used in the hood material are actually designed to shrink a bit with heat ( a bit like sleeves on electrical connectors et.al.)Try giving them a blast with a hairdryer. If they are just worn out, it won’t help, but if there’s any life left in them it could be the answer.
  • Thanks Ncovidius. Any idea whether it should be done in situ, or taken off and then heat treat them?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    In situ.