Best time of day to train

Currently working from home with limited time in the evenings. Just wondering if a lunchtime training session would work?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    It was recently pointed out that this is the perfect solution during the shorter winter days. Assuming you can get a 2 hour lunch break. Have to allow for getting ready, a shower and actually having lunch. Flexitime helps.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Depends on the session fitting in, but a turbo session only takes the length of the session plus 2 minutes getting ready, and 5 minutes shower. Lunch at your desk.
  • pblakeney

Depends on the session fitting in, but a turbo session only takes the length of the session plus 2 minutes getting ready, and 5 minutes shower. Lunch at your desk.

Was pet hate of mine at a previous company. People clocking* in and having breakfast, usual day, having dinner then clocking out.
    They were effectively getting paid an hour a day for eating breakfast and dinner.
    Chapeau to them for getting away with it, but...

*Yes, actual clocks. Recently, and at a blue chip company. You were paid by the minute.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Sure, if you can't do some work while eating, maybe don't do it.

Or if you want to justify it, pretend it's like a smoke break.
  • pblakeney
    What if said munchers were also chain smokers? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Yep spot on, I take a 2 hour lunch normally, gives me time to get changed, carry out a 75 or 90 minute session, and then hit the shower, and eat at my desk afterwards.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I'm struggling especially this year to cycle earlier in the day and get the benefits of a heightened metabolic rate for the rest of the day, so often it's a reluctant change into kit in a semi-zombied state sometime 1600-1900.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

I'm struggling especially this year to cycle earlier in the day and get the benefits of a heightened metabolic rate for the rest of the day, so often it's a reluctant change into kit in a semi-zombied state sometime 1600-1900.

My struggle with riding later, is that I tend to find with the exercise, and shower etc, I then sometimes struggle to get to sleep - maybe due to the endolphins racing around?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Early morning is best if possible. There’s less traffic about, and ( if you’re into marginal gains) the cooler air is better to train in ( until it goes sub zero ).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kermy said:

Currently working from home with limited time in the evenings. Just wondering if a lunchtime training session would work?

What kind of answers are you expecting? Give it a try and find out. Only you will know if it works.
  • Thanks for all the advice. Will give it a try and see how I get on.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I've swapped the bike for running at present in this wet weather.

I find the only time I can run is first thing.

Left it until the afternoon yesterday, half a mile, gave up, no enthusiasm. Today out at 8 am, five miles no problem.

Don't know if it is a psychological thing or what?
  • womack said:

Left it until the afternoon yesterday, half a mile, gave up, no enthusiasm. Today out at 8 am, five miles no problem.

You need to move house.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

womack said:

You need to move house.

Been here 35 years now, absolutely no enthusiasm to move, I'll be here until they cart me off to cemetery or care home!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    I don't understand what the other option is - should they not eat during the day or do most people clock out twice a day to go and eat outside the building?
    pblakeney said:

Depends on the session fitting in, but a turbo session only takes the length of the session plus 2 minutes getting ready, and 5 minutes shower. Lunch at your desk.

Was pet hate of mine at a previous company. People clocking* in and having breakfast, usual day, having dinner then clocking out.
    They were effectively getting paid an hour a day for eating breakfast and dinner.

*Yes, actual clocks. Recently, and at a blue chip company. You were paid by the minute.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2021
    monkimark said:

I don't understand what the other option is - should they not eat during the day or do most people clock out twice a day to go and eat outside the building?

pblakeney said:

Have breakfast before going to work, and dinner when you get home? Like most people.
    You were automatically docked 1/2 hour for lunch.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    Ah, terminology confusion, Lunch = dinner
    https://images.app.goo.gl/tZZr7VNnNKG71cku8

i also eat my breakfast at work because I generally start at 7:30am
  • pblakeney
    monkimark said:

Ah, terminology confusion, Lunch = dinner
    https://images.app.goo.gl/tZZr7VNnNKG71cku8

i also eat my breakfast at work because I generally start at 7:30am

No. They were having all 3 meals while being paid. And this was only an 8 hour shift, normal hours, so only 6-1/2 hours remaining. Subtract coffee and smoke breaks on top...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I've always found I'm better in the evenings training, on a morning I'm always a mess, feel total crap full of heartburn. On a night around 8pm is where I have most power.

In my student years I found an 18 miler around 2am in Manchester was actually the sweetspot for me.