Nearly new 2021 bike, 2022 bike, or wait until 2023?

To try and help me decide what to do :|
I want to gift my CR1 to my brother so need a replacement in the next 12-18 months ideally.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    So your poor brother still hasn't got a bike then! I remember this indecision from March: https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20765609

12 speed isn't all that, particularly if it's Shimano. At least with AXS you can get wider gear ratios, but Shimano are just shoving in an extra cog in the middle, which you probably won't notice. What bike are you talking about anyway?

Based on previous experience, you'll probably go for option 3 :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited September 2021
    bobones said:

So your poor brother still hasn't got a bike then! I remember this indecision from March: https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20765609

12 speed isn't all that, particularly if it's Shimano. At least with AXS you can get wider gear ratios, but Shimano are just shoving in an extra cog in the middle, which you probably won't notice. What bike are you talking about anyway?

Based on previous experience, you'll probably go for option 3 :)

Good memory that man!

No he has one, it's a 1997 Caad 3, which he loves, and we stuck a new groupset and wheels on it (105 5700/Fulcrum somethings) maybe 5 years ago.
    He does an absolute ton of climbing - this is one he did earlier this week:

So I thought it would be nice for him to have a top drawer carbon bike as well - I know he wouldn't want to shift his Caad as he has had it from new.

I did note that about the SRAM.

It would either be a 2021 Addict RC30, or a 2022 RC15 Komodo Green or RC20.
    IF either can be gotten hold of by my lbs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Check the used one over carefully and buy it. So long as it's not been crashed, I find potential warranty issues (with attendant hassles of taking bike back to shop, being without, etc) actually become upgrade opportunities ;)

Looking ahead, there's on-going trouble worldwide with supply in the bike world thanks to covid and I can see that rumbling on for a good while yet, then add the local Brexit issues... and availability is going to be low for at least 12 months, and prices are only going to carry on in the one direction.

Review the situation in 2023, if the market has settled down at all, you can always shift the RC30 on to buy a new one then - if prices keep rising, you may find you've not lost much money on it!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited September 2021
    Defblade said:

Check the used one over carefully and buy it. So long as it's not been crashed, I find potential warranty issues (with attendant hassles of taking bike back to shop, being without, etc) actually become upgrade opportunities ;)

Looking ahead, there's on-going trouble worldwide with supply in the bike world thanks to covid and I can see that rumbling on for a good while yet, then add the local Brexit issues... and availability is going to be low for at least 12 months, and prices are only going to carry on in the one direction.

Review the situation in 2023, if the market has settled down at all, you can always shift the RC30 on to buy a new one then - if prices keep rising, you may find you've not lost much money on it!

Thanks for that detailed reply :-)

Good news is that the Synapse sold for a strong price last night, and has gone off to her new home.
    The other one is still for sale, though I thought the advert had been pulled.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    I’m waiting until the situation calms down a lot. It could be as long as 2025 ( according to some industry experts). But I generally only change my best / summer bike, every 8 / 10 years anyway, and those need to be ‘box fresh’ so I’m not due another one until at least 2029 anyway ( barring disasters / thievery). In the meantime I’ll possibly replace the station / winter bikes with used numbers, and ( although they are at a premium right now ) I’ll be selling the parts and frames separately from them, and hopefully the differential won’t be so great that way.