Decent road clothing brands that don't cost the earth.

May be looking to start cycling again and if so need to buy some new kit as everything I have is really old and tatty. Unfortunately it looks like I've missed any of the summer (not ridden this year at all really so going to be a long slog, slow back to any cycling fitness).

What's people's thoughts on decent brands nowadays ? They all seem soooo expensive now like everything else and even the cheaper brands before look like they've upped all their prices.

Looking to spend 500/600 total on a couple of jerseys (including a long sleeve) and maybe some bibs or thermal bib shorts and leg warmers, and possibly a jacket. Basically everything I need to get going again ....

Anyone have any kit advice ? I was thinking less mainstream (not Rapha) stuff like Exteondo, Kalas etc, Gobik etc. However, it seems like any buying from EU these days has become a big PITA as much over 100 and they hit you with all the extra charges. A friend recently bought a pair of bibs from and a jersey from Gobik and then had to pay DHL over £50 to deliver it ! And even then it was all too small ! This makes me think I'm better off buying from the likes of Wiggle, Sigma etc now to be honest, but it's just a shame they don't always do the stuff you want. Maybe I'll go back to Castelli. I wore it years ago but then thought it was a bit common ?

What's people's thoughts ?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Wiggle's own brand DHB stuff is really good and they've really upped their game design-wise in the last couple of years.

I like Morvelo for there designs and Sportful for their fit, both can also be bought from Wiggle.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I agree that DHB is good and I also like the stolen goat stuff personally.
    I've regularly seen positive comments about galiber.cc stuff.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I've never has any problems with Endura bibs - they don't cost the earth
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Endura stuff is good as Laurentian has already pointed to. Sportful is also worth a look, Sigma Sports sell a good range of their stuff. Personally, I find DHB stuff a bit hit and miss, some of the clothing I have had has been really good, others (bibs included) has become fairly worn after 6-8 months of regular use.

You could also do what most of us on the forum do and look for the big brands, Castelli etc. in the sales. Most items can still be found at a discount online if you shop around.
  • https://www.galibier.cc/ is good stuff at reasonable prices.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Thanks guys, will definitely take a look at the suggestions. Had a look on the Galibier site and it looks decent. Well reviewed and reasonably priced. What about the Giordana UK stuff of Albion Cycling kit ? Anyone tried any of that gear ?
  • Not sure what others think but I've had a Madison Sportive Long Sleeve jersey which I thought was expensive at £80. Wore it all of last winter with a base layer and it''s been the best £80 I've spent Cycling wise. Came off the bike once and put a hole in the elbow part which I thought would get worse as the winter went on, it didn't. Bought some Madison summer shorts as I was impressed and they have been great. Maybe worth a look?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited September 2021
    Giordana kit is excellent, they made all of the Mitchelton Scott team kit.
    Their FRC range is right up there.

A lot of good suggestions above - I would add to them:

La Passione (Italian, but no extra fees as far as I am aware, as they have a UK address for returns, and superb quality kit - they did have a sale on recently, not sure if it's still live though.
    Size wise, imho they are on a par with Castelli.

Isadore are mighty fine, and used to be heavily discounted at Wiggle/CRC, but it looks like they may have stopped stocking them.

Ale kit is well worth a look - quite often Wiggle/CRC and PBK have it fairly discounted - size wise, maybe half a size smaller top half than Castelli, though I would say shorts etc are on a par.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I don't know who makes it, but i like some of Condor's branded stuff that they sell in their store and online shop. It's generally quite small sizing however.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Lusso also very nice and a UK brand.

Pactimo are fantastic. They are quite pricy at RRP but have regular sales where they discount heavily.
  • https://www.galibier.cc/ is good stuff at reasonable prices.

+1
    Now the first place I look :)
  • What about the Giordana UK stuff of Albion Cycling kit ?

Albion gear is very good quality. I have a couple of pieces and have been really impressed.

I didn't mention it in my previous post just because it is a bit pricier, although good value for money IMO
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Le Col, especially if you factor in an easily gained Strava voucher.
  • Galibier and, it you're not too brand sensitive, Decathlon.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    me-109 said:

Le Col, especially if you factor in an easily gained Strava voucher.

Id agree.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    BIB50OFF chops in half the price of the £180 Le Col Hors Categorie bibshorts, and the £160 Pro Heritage bibshorts.

I've never tried them I have to be honest, and likely won't be this time - how do they size up versus any of Endura, Rapha, Castelli, Ale, Lusso etc?

I notice Madison were mentioned above, and have just ordered some of their kit from Start fitness for commuting, popped it on the bargains thread if you want the links, but thermal bibshorts for £41, and DWR bib tights for £45.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Yes to Ale, yes to Lusso and that new Decathlon stuff - Claude Le Croissant or whatever it is called - looks mint.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I've tried very hard to like Le Col. I've got a cpl pairs of shorts- Pro and HC, and a Lightweight "climbers", jersey. Also some leg warmers and arm warmers (oh and a gilet).

For me, Le Col just can't seem to get grippers right on either their shorts or warmers. The shorts have a (for me), great insert and are decent enough quality, but the leg grippers are awful. Not much compression in the shorts, and the hems/ grippers seem to go baggy after only a few rides. Size wise, they are correct for my height/ weight etc, but grippers put me off buying again. The jersey and gilet are good.

I'd agree with Lusso- good quality and sensible pricing...
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Wiggle's dhb has some nice stuff, at around the blok/aeron level. I find Aeron LAB too expensive to bother, though. At those prices I'd just go Castelli.

Decathlon's stuff is OK too, provided you avoid the entry level. Their latest RCR900 jersey is tight, "aero" and feels breathable. Only real negative is the middle pocket is just barely wide enough for my phone in the pouch. Their bibs have a variety of pads. The 300 series, and the later 500, have a thin orange Chamois I really dislike. The next level up is OK, and the latest top of the range bibs come with an EIT chamois that I wouldn't be scared to try.

Endura is another brand worth a look. Their cut feels more british than italian. Very rare to see serious discounts over their RRP.

Have no experience with Altura.

I would never ever call Ale or Le Col "budget". I think Le col's aware that their quality and prices aren't really in tune, which is where their very frequent Strava discounts come in. The thing is, even then, I haven't bought a single garment from then.

Etxeondo stuff is not cheap, but is very popular in the Basque Country. Not too surprising considering it's where their HQ is based. Bibs with the Urraki chamois are allegedly very good.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Funkier
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • In my experience Lusso kit is very good, quality materials and very well made. Prices are not mega cheap, but comparible to any offers you can get on the top end brands Better made though so better value unless you like labels.
  • daniel_b
    Endura, for me size up one size larger than the usual Italian suspects.
    There was a time when I managed to nab some of the FS260 Pro shorts for £40 a pop!

My only experience with Altura bibs was not a pleasant one, they were mid range, but the pad was meh, and the material was some weird shiny deal that was prone to pulling.
    They immediately became turbo shorts, but it took a fair while to kill them, but I refused to just bin them as I wanted my moneys worth - it was a good day when they were finally beyond the point of no return.

I may have been unlucky though, and it might just have been that one model!

Ale can be had with HUGE discounts sometimes on PBK and Wiggle or more often CRC, although those days may well be numbered.

There was a glut of Etxeondo gear on Merlin maybe 5 years ago, and they were knocking stuff out at less than half rrp - bought a few pairs of Orhi shorts, and they were stunning quality, think they might have the Urraki chamois you make mention of.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    drhaggis said:

Endura is another brand worth a look. Their cut feels more british than italian. Very rare to see serious discounts over their RRP.

Have no experience with Altura.

I would never ever call Ale or Le Col "budget". I think Le col's aware that their quality and prices aren't really in tune, which is where their very frequent Strava discounts come in. The thing is, even then, I haven't bought a single garment from then.

Etxeondo stuff is not cheap, but is very popular in the Basque Country. Not too surprising considering it's where their HQ is based. Bibs with the Urraki chamois are allegedly very good.

Endura, for me size up one size larger than the usual Italian suspects.
    There was a time when I managed to nab some of the FS260 Pro shorts for £40 a pop!

My only experience with Altura bibs was not a pleasant one, they were mid range, but the pad was meh, and the material was some weird shiny deal that was prone to pulling.
    They immediately became turbo shorts, but it took a fair while to kill them, but I refused to just bin them as I wanted my moneys worth - it was a good day when they were finally beyond the point of no return.

I may have been unlucky though, and it might just have been that one model!

Ale can be had with HUGE discounts sometimes on PBK and Wiggle or more often CRC, although those days may well be numbered.

Funny you ay that about Le Col - I have never, and likely never will try them - the one time I did, I 'qualified' for one of their perrenial strava vouchers, but despite it apparently being able to be used on literally anything on their site, would not apply to a jacket that was half price. I could have contacted them, but I didn't want it that much, so for the best I suspect.

There was a glut of Etxeondo gear on Merlin maybe 5 years ago, and they were knocking stuff out at less than half rrp - bought a few pairs of Orhi shorts, and they were stunning quality, think they might have the Urraki chamois you make mention of.

In my experience Lusso kit is very good, quality materials and very well made. Prices are not mega cheap, but comparible to any offers you can get on the top end brands Better made though so better value unless you like labels.

I have some Lusso shorts, and they are superb, just as good as any of the top offerings out there, and in the region of £100 iirc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    For the cost conscious rider, I would also mix and match, and spend where it matters.

It is all rather obvious, but spending a little more on shorts is probably worth the money.

Other things, like jerseys, socks, arm warmers etc - they matter less, so if budget is important, you can get cheaper arm warmers socks etc.

When I was more cost conscious I would opt for something like endura or girodana or sale castelli shorts and then a basic vermarc jersey and dhb arm warmers with some planet x socks & gloves.

I would also say that there is less differential to summer kit than winter kit, where the difference between good and bad can be vast.

So maybe get a basic summer jersey and spend that bit extra on a winter jacket and tights.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited October 2021

*** A lot of sense. ***

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    If you really don't care what you look like, I can also recommend last year's replica pro-kit which is usually fine and often heavily discounted.
  • If you really don't care what you look like, I can also recommend last year's replica pro-kit which is usually fine and often heavily discounted.

Why would you not care what you looked like? "to look good is to go fast"
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Another vote for DHB from me.

Most of it is decent & well worth the money. Had a couple of items I wasn't best chuffed about but on the whole it's reasonably priced & good quality / value.

They do seem to have started branching out into slightly more expensive territory recently however but no real experience of their higher end stuff though.
  • ads77
    ads77 Posts: 57
    Galibier
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Might give Galibier a try. I've got mostly DHB & Endura, but the lycra on DHB bibs doesn't last well - I think it doesn't cope with sweat, though I like the fit now (it used to be awful). I'm still using Endura FS260 jerseys I bought 11 years ago, and one pair of their shorts of the same vintage (though the leg length is silly short).