Tour of Britain "it doesn't come past my house" thread

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited September 2021
    Well I think I've just been part of an EPIC helicopter/horse shot...

(Edit - meaning there IS helicopter coverage today...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stuck it on early to see the parts of Devon I know well, but not sure I can make it through a full day of ITV4's adverts!

Ah yes, the JML Leg Pillow. Perfect comfort for anyone whose duvet has been inexplicably stolen...
  • As for the race, there's a classic chasse patate going on right now - Barranetxea stuck in the middle of nowhere
  • ddraver
    ddraver said:

Well I think I've just been part of an EPIC helicopter/horse shot...

(Edit - meaning there IS helicopter coverage today...)

They missed it! 😭

I'm in there...
    - @ddraver
  • Cornwall might have missed out, but Dartmouth has got genuinely lucky with the weather - it looks gorgeous. Last time I was there I was dodging yachts on a paddleboard...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Cricket for me today...
  • ddraver
    Just seen Manon off of GCN 🥰
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Cornwall might have missed out, but Dartmouth has got genuinely lucky with the weather - it looks gorgeous. Last time I was there I was dodging yachts on a paddleboard...

How do you get a yacht on a paddleboard?
  • Pross said:

Cornwall might have missed out, but Dartmouth has got genuinely lucky with the weather - it looks gorgeous. Last time I was there I was dodging yachts on a paddleboard...

I came very close to finding out...

I now have a morbid curiosity in finding out how quickly the peloton can get from Slapton to Kingsbridge. It's almost certainly faster than I've ever driven it, thanks to tractors, caravans, and people who are convinced their car is five feet wider than it actually is.
  • ddraver
    It is a gorgeous day.

The race comes right past Grandpa raver's Con Club and we're in the garden waiting (don't you dare tell Cake Stop that!!)

It's is genuinely rather wonderful to watch the best cyclists in the world come past a village cricket club whilst picking blackberries out of the hedge.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Pross said:

I came very close to finding out...

I now have a morbid curiosity in finding out how quickly the peloton can get from Slapton to Kingsbridge. It's almost certainly faster than I've ever driven it, thanks to tractors, caravans, and people who are convinced their car is five feet wider than it actually is.
    Used to do that road regularly as we had a caravan in the South Hams for about 15 years.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I was in Devon last week, my family live in Bovey Tracey which is the bottom right corner of Dartmoor. I found a new climb out of Bovey thanks to Simon Warren's 40 rides book. Hospital Hill the locals call it; will make sure I have a proper warm up next time I attempt it!
    Looks glorious today.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    The Road into tavistock is a nightmare on a bike if it's the road I remember
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Tour of Britain is going past Rob carpenter's house
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited September 2021
    Break advantage got up to about 7:45 with 70km to go thanks to JV trying to bluff another team into pulling. Movistar now at the front.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Odd, unable to find this on ES Player - have let my GCN sub lapse.
    Then found ITV4 are showing in, and lucked into Adam Blythe being Boultings co-commentator, so very pleased with that, aside from the adverts.

Just confused the ES Player seems to have no record of it on the search, and nothing in the schedule.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    daniel_b said:

Then found ITV4 are showing in, and lucked into Adam Blythe being Boultings co-commentator, so very pleased with that, aside from the adverts.

Just confused the ES Player seems to have no record of it on the search, and nothing in the schedule.

GCN had the last couple of hours yesterday but with ambient sound only. No commentary available.

Can't watch it on ITV, the adverts.....
  • ddraver
    Ivybridge

Somehow the funny hats just make it seem more village...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    edited September 2021
    Jake Scott looks horrible climbing on that huge gear.
  • mididoctors
    Non of the WT teams want to.do the work because of the TTT tomorrow? Jumbo down a man too
  • Pross
    Distinct lack of interest. The catch is probably still just about on but looking less and less likely.
  • ddraver
    Even Dartmoor is looking pretty today...
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Hell of a ride for a Paralympian
  • Pross
    Peloton now stringing out as Alpecin Fenix take the lead. Talk of crosswinds which surprises me given how light the winds are around my neck of the woods today.
  • mididoctors
    Sorry was busy buying my own funeral cremation
  • mididoctors
    Carpenter rides Scott off his wheel .... Ride
  • mididoctors
    I think the WT teams are banking on the TTT
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

GCN had the last couple of hours yesterday but with ambient sound only. No commentary available.

How very strange.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

JimD666 said:

daniel_b said:

How very strange.
    Dunno - there's a limit to the number of explicitly maimed animals anyone can stomach in one afternoon, no matter how much it's leavened by jolly adverts about your impending death. I'm actually slightly surprised by how grisly the footage is allowed to be.
  • mididoctors
    Carpenter is a bit special here