Planning routes on Google Maps

Hi all,

Doing a bit of research. I'd really like to know:

- If you use Google Maps for planning routes, what would you change to make it better?

- If you don't use Google Maps for planning routes, what would make you consider using it?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    edited September 2021
    I very much doubt (m)any serious cyclists use Googlemaps for planning a route.
    They might use Streetview to check a road surface though, but that is linked in with the likes of RidewithGPS already.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    I used to try and use it for planning routes. But you have to check over the whole route on your computer first because it will often take you on completely unsuitable roads/paths. Plus the way it does way points is a bit annoying, it expects you to stop at a way point before continuing, but I often used waypoints to get it to take me down a particular road.

Now I use Komoot, where you just need to buy the maps once and can use without subscription. It's database is a lot better than Google's when it comes to how suitable a route is for cycling. Plus you have points of interest which you can easily add to your route (e.g. a nice quiet/smooth country road).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Google maps is useless for routes if you're on a road bike as it will take you on gravel paths, bridle ways and across fields.

I use Strava or ridewithgps for planning routes if I have to.

Nothing would make me use Google maps for cycling.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Same - RideWithGPS and only use Google Maps for Streetview to check the road surface etc.

Can't see anything happening that would make me change
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Personally I prefer Strava for plotting routes, but you can only share routes with other Premium members.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Google maps is pretty useless for road cycling and not much more useful otherwise. I've been taken down paths which are unsuitable for people on foot...

It's slightly better in e.g., London (since the network of cycle lanes/paths is denser and the provision is overall better), but still doesn't get close to a bit of experience.

Personally I prefer Strava for plotting routes, but you can only share routes with other Premium members.

You could download the map file and send it to them directly (.tcx etc.)?