The Pro Race XC thread ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Awesome 🥰

Forget Silver medals, lots of pictures of labradogs in stripy jerseys incoming...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Great ride for Maja too, I remember her in world cup jerseys in What Mountain Bike adverts
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Evie Richards won, Rick... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Mighty impressive that was.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    What's happened to Kate Courtney..?? 6 + minutes down is a major reversal of fortune from someone who looked like she was going to be the queen of XCO for a while
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    What a ride.....I'm always surprised when she says she has no confidence in herself....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    edited August 2021
    I really admire how PFP races. 100%, no gifts between the tapes but a perfect gentlewoman outside...

Proper example for kids
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Right, well, Come on then Tahnee!!

Time to do the double!
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    ddraver said:

What's happened to Kate Courtney..?? 6 + minutes down is a major reversal of fortune from someone who looked like she was going to be the queen of XCO for a while

Good question; a poor Olympics, but had a good race last week in the Swiss Cup, even with a mechanical.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
  • ddraver
    G'waan Nino - that would be awesome!
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Yay!! The Goat!! Never write him off.....he was smiling on that last lap...
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    A perfect end to two great races.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    Ok, I hope Rob Warner was calling that somewhere...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited August 2021
    Doub
    - @ddraver
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited August 2021
    So that's 10 top-tier XCO wins (Olympics & 9 rainbows) for Schurter now. The mind boggles.

In terms of longevity though, Greg Minnaar (turning 40 in November!) arguably has him beat by virtue of winning a fourth elite DH jersey 18 years after his first,* which itself was earned the year before Schurter won the junior XCO.

[* That particular jersey is also older than some of this year's juniors]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Minaar winning was insane... he was the dude when I was first interested in MTB in like 2004.
  • andyrac
    Both are GOATS; I saw a stat that Greg's first Worlds, was as a junior in 1997.... Absolutely nuts.

It's an old cliche, but 'age is a number' has never been truer. If you still enjoy it, and are competitive - and are willing to go through with all the training, why stop??
  • andyrac
    Next round of the World Cup, at Lenzerheide, Switzerland. Short track tonight, Downhill tomorrow, then XCO on Sunday.

• ddraver
    Trek XCO women's team is doing a little better than the other Trek Teams...

- @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Richards run of form continues as she takes her first XCO World Cup win.
  • andyrac
    Yeah, that was rather impressive; showed patience (which she hasn't always done) , then went away, like the World Champion she is.

And joins a small group to win Elite World Cups in XCO & Cyclocross....(Namur 2017).
  • That Namur CX win was seriously impressive
  • ddraver
    Good on her, I was at the ToB today instead so wasn't watching.
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Final World Cup of the season, Snowshoe, USA.

2 X Downhill rounds, one of which was Wednesday; won by Reece Wilson & Valli Hoell. Next one is tomorrow 17:30. both overalls are still up for grabs.

XCC starts shortly, and the XCO is around 17:30 Sunday evening. With women's overall decided, the men's could be decided tonight if Flueckinger gets enough points.

As ever, on RedBull TV.
  • ddraver
    Evie clean sweeps the weekend!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited September 2021
    ...and a surprise result in the boys as The American Christopher Blevins, wearing a familiar team kit to those of us who followed the ToB, wins a puncture filled race.

The World Cup comes down to a 1pt difference between Fluckinger and Koretsky.
    - @ddraver
  • notquite6foot
    edited September 2021
    Amazing second half of the season Evie's had - XCO rainbows, 3 World Cup wins (2 XCO, 1 XCC) and finishes second in the WC overall.

Trinity Racing will be chuffed with Blevins' exploits. First US men's XCO World Cup win in 28 years.

(Was there talk that TR would disband after Pidcock moved to Ineos? I may be imagining things but I could swear I read something along those lines somewhere...)
  • notquite6foot
    edited September 2021
    ddraver said:

The World Cup comes down to a 1pt difference between Fluckinger and Koretsky.

Huh? Wasn't the difference 299 before the last race with only 250 in play?

EDIT: Or did you mean between Koretzky and Cink for second place?
  • andyrac
    That was some men's race; quite tactical, and punctures affecting a few of the top riders; however, Blevins was always just riding cleverly, making no moves - as said on the commentary. Took his chance convincingly - a super talent! And learned from last weeks ToB.....

As for the women's, I'm not convinced the puncture for McConnell really affected the outcome. She lost about 20 secs, but was over a minute behind at the finish.
    Evie is just so strong, and now technically excellent - she is the full package, on and off the bike!!
    From her pre race interview she still has races left; which will likely be the US CX World Cups; will be interesting to see how she goes in them.