Who voted for Margaret Thatcher?

Only vote if you were old enough to vote at one or more of the elections when Margaret Thatcher was leader of the Tories (sorry Rick)

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Who tf would have voted for Thatcher, Thatcher milk snatcher?

Oh yeah, the Toryfanboi trio on here.

(Though I do suspect shortfall is a S666 alter ego, given the repetitive seemingly obligatory likes)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm too young to have voted in any election she stood in, but I wouldn't have voted for her.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    1992 was my first election so not me, did vote Tory in that one though and every other up to 2015.
  • Pross said:

1992 was my first election so not me, did vote Tory in that one though and every other up to 2015.

Leftie!

Whoever flagged your post is a twit.
  • Whoever it is doing the flagging, try saving your flags for what flags are meant for - trolling, abuse, etc. Putting on my teacher's voice "So you think that's funny, do you?"
  • I was old enough to vote in 1987 but have no idea if I did or not, seem to remember being a leftie so pretty sure I would not have voted for her.

The likes of Boris, Raab and Williamson would have go nowhere near the levers of power on her watch
  • Too young, but I live in an ex coal mining area. The cold shock of mass unemployment in one place will take another couple of generations to work through. At least. Hey, half a century is not too bad is it?

I also had a sibling in long term care in the NHS throughout her tenure. I will never, ever vote Tory in my life as a result. Inhumane. Really.

I also went through state school during her tenure. I am largely self-taught.

There are still quite a few smarmy accolytes in the party now, who came up writing press releases or lobbying. They probably jack off in the gents to a commemorative photo of her. Basically the same sh!t different decade.

Is that clear enough?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    the alternative to Thatcher?

Much much worse.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Pross

Whoever it is doing the flagging, try saving your flags for what flags are meant for - trolling, abuse, etc. Putting on my teacher's voice "So you think that's funny, do you?"

Probably the latest head of the hydra after my post in the other thread (or Orraloon / FA making their point over my past mistakes in which case it's fair comment!).
  • I was old enough to vote in 1987 but have no idea if I did or not, seem to remember being a leftie so pretty sure I would not have voted for her.

The likes of Boris, Raab and Williamson would have go nowhere near the levers of power on her watch

Feel free not to answer, but if you were a leftie then, why have your views shifted so sharply to letting the markets decide (e.g. farming)? Having said that, Labour were well into farmer-bashing back in the 80's... (I still remember a Labour politician scoffing "Well, you never see a poor farmer!" on one of the mainstream politics shows.)
  • slowmart said:

the alternative to Thatcher?

Much much worse.

Utter nonsense, right up there with we did what we had to do. Incompetence is fine if the alternative is a sociopath, because incompetence doesn't achieve much, positive or negative. With a sociopath in charge, you are indeed going to achieve something. Good luck with that.
  • And on reflection, Micheal Foot would have been a hilarious historical footnote. Kinnock was a windbag, sadly he was both Welsh and a ginger, but he was a decent man fighting an intransigent party and actually ahead of his time. I'd have preferred him. Perhaps the country would still own a few of its own utilities if he had won.
  • And on reflection, Micheal Foot would have been a hilarious historical footnote. Kinnock was a windbag, sadly he was both Welsh and a ginger, but he was a decent man fighting an intransigent party and actually ahead of his time. I'd have preferred him. Perhaps the country would still own a few of its own utilities if he had won.

Kinnock's speech when he turned on Militant Tendency was fun, I'll admit.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I voted for Margaret on many occasions although she did let me down when she renaged on the S4c promise that saw Gwynfor Evans go on hunger strike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I was old enough to vote in all the elections when she was leader of the Tories. I have never voted for them.

Feel free not to answer, but if you were a leftie then, why have your views shifted so sharply to letting the markets decide (e.g. farming)? Having said that, Labour were well into farmer-bashing back in the 80's... (I still remember a Labour politician scoffing "Well, you never see a poor farmer!" on one of the mainstream politics shows.)
    Like FA I went to a state school and there was a steady stream of anti-That her propaganda which must have influenced my thinking. I was a student then so would have been more idealistic and Tory students were weird beyond belief.

Pretty sure I would have been in favour of free market economics but to this day remain unconvinced that inflation is so bad that the answer is 3 million unemployed
  • Pross
    Considering the poll is 50-50 there seem to be few prepared to admit it which matches my experience that you don't find many admitting it now even though she had some huge wins. When you look at the state the country was in before her first win I don't think it was unreasonable for people to vote for her even if they disliked what she did after being elected that first time. Then again I guess not many on here voted in '79.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Pross said:

Whoever it is doing the flagging, try saving your flags for what flags are meant for - trolling, abuse, etc. Putting on my teacher's voice "So you think that's funny, do you?"

Probably the latest head of the hydra after my post in the other thread (or Orraloon / FA making their point over my past mistakes in which case it's fair comment!).
    Eh not me mistah.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    If you vote Tory/Margaret you’re an evil selfish whatsit.
    If you you vote labour you’re a naive fantasist.
    Anything else is a wasted vote.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Suspect it was Mr SoC based on the first two likes and first two flags.
  • Pross said:

Considering the poll is 50-50 there seem to be few prepared to admit it which matches my experience that you don't find many admitting it now even though she had some huge wins. When you look at the state the country was in before her first win I don't think it was unreasonable for people to vote for her even if they disliked what she did after being elected that first time. Then again I guess not many on here voted in '79.

The 70's were certainly an interesting decade, not least for industrial relations and days lost to strikes. Reading about the Winter of Discontent again reminds me of how far things have moved since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent
  • Pross

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?
  • Pross said:

I think most would not have been 18 in 1983 then throw in low yoof turnout and people’s tendency to move right as they collect shiny things and it is no huge surprise.
  • Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?

See who liked the post of mine you quoted...
  • Pross

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?

I've never been able to work out how to view who has liked posts on my phone.
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?

People have liked your posts?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Never voted for her, never voted Tory, never will. My grandfather was a miner from South Wales and I thought the world of him. Had a closer relationship with him than with my dad, wouldn’t be where I am today without his influence. The stuff he used to tell me about his lived experience guaranteed that my extreme dislike of what the tories did to the ordinary working man. And as I came to understand society and politics a little more, nothing I saw from them made me think any differently. Going to Liverpool uni in 1987 absolutely cemented my opinion, seeing as how her government made the population of the whole city suffer by withdrawing funds to make a point about militant left wing local politicians. I actually suspect I’m moving more to the left as I get older…
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?

Ah, penny drops now!

Yes, I've created a duplicate account so I can like posts I make. Makes me feel popular like when there was that circle jerk of liking each others posts by 3 or 4 posters last year.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    In many ways I am naturally conservative.
    However, I don’t believe pursuing personal or business success absolves you responsibility for consequences of your actions or that profit excuses unethical behaviour. Those are key facets of the Tory way.
    Couldn’t ever vote for them.
    Thought new labour had a very well balanced approach but have to hold my nose to vote for anybody these days.
    Hope (probably in vain) to see the end of fptp in my lifetime. Safe seats are an affront to good democracy.
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?

Ah, penny drops now!

Yes, I've created a duplicate account so I can like posts I make. Makes me feel popular like when there was that circle jerk of liking each others posts by 3 or 4 posters last year.
    The first rule of like club, nobody talks about like club.