La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 20: Sanxenxo > Mos. Castro de Herville 202,2 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• So glad that Roglic got mugged.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Lopez packing is unprofessional
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Champoussin looks like he might take it riding his big brother's bike. Tactical mess by Roglic who chased down Yates everytime even though he was no threat and by Yates who could have given himself a shout at the podium if he'd ignored the Roglic / Mas tandem entry and pushed on.

Bike Exchange rider looking like me trying to clip in at the lights on a steep hill.

Excellent stage that. GC positions and stage up for grabs.
  • mididoctors
    Good stage actually.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

So glad that Roglic got mugged.

Haters goin to hate ...lol
  • Champoussin coming through trying to catch flies in his mouth was the funniest thing I've seen in ages 😅
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross

Meh, he interfered unnecessarily in the GC podium battle which would have been understandable if he wanted to take the stage but then left someone else to just ride away to win. Very odd.

Yates saying he was after the stage.
  • So glad that Roglic got mugged.

I mean, chasing down Gibbons's last throw of the dice.
    Seems he's been happier to let Spanish riders/teams go up the road, though.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Meh, he interfered unnecessarily in the GC podium battle which would have been understandable if he wanted to take the stage but then left someone else to just ride away to win. Very odd.

He is not the greatest tactician
  • Pross

Champoussin coming through trying to catch flies in his mouth was the funniest thing I've seen in ages 😅

That and the ridiculously wide bars plus high gear made him look like some novice kid giving their all. Another person I picked to win the wrong stage!
  • mididoctors
    Ineos made the effort there to make it a race ...
  • Ineos made the effort there to make it a race ...

Ineos's third week saved this Vuelta from being a complete pile of stink brown stuff.
  • That was fun! The stage (what was shown) and especially the last bit.

Well played Champoussin! Pity about Gibbons. Well tried, Bizkarra!

Yates missed his podium chance, not pushing on when Haig struggled.

Mäder now fifth, and in the white jersey; that's a nice surprise!
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Don't believe that .he kept looking back for Haig

• Pross

I think when you've had so many GT wins you are better placed to go all in rather than settle for a top 10 like so many other teams do. Lost the white jersey but then I doubt Bernal is really bothered about that. Bahrain have impressed me this season.
  • What happened to Lopez. I had the race on wasn't really watching - he missed a break ?

Is he just disappointed or did Movistar order him not to try and get across ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    Lopez spitting the dummy was un professional to the max ... Unacceptable
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The one decent day and I end up working on a Saturday...

Sounds mental. Do you reckon Movistar will try and bin Lopez after this?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross

The one decent day and I end up working on a Saturday...

Sounds mental. Do you reckon Movistar will try and bin Lopez after this?

Was thinking that myself. If they told him to keep going and he refused then I guess it would be in breach of his contact but then they seem to like riders with no discipline so he fits their mould perfectly.
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

I think when you've had so many GT wins you are better placed to go all in rather than settle for a top 10 like so many other teams do. Lost the white jersey but then I doubt Bernal is really bothered about that. Bahrain have impressed me this season.
    bernals interview was top shelf
  • mididoctors

What happened to Lopez. I had the race on wasn't really watching - he missed a break ?

Is he just disappointed or did Movistar order him not to try and get across ?

missed the split and couldn't get back.
    no one behind wanted to help him ...his own fault or bad luck . whatever. its racing

he then just had a tizzy fit and climbed off.. I see no reason why he could not have just finished. His race wasn't that disastrous . he won a tough day in the mountains
  • mididoctors

I mean, chasing down Gibbons's last throw of the dice.
    Seems he's been happier to let Spanish riders/teams go up the road, though.
    i am not to sure there is that much coherent going on upstairs with roglic when it comes to tactics
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Can someone give a precis of the stage please? Sounds dramatic. I was driving to Ely for bloody hours.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2021

Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    LOL
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2021

Can someone give a precis of the stage please? Sounds dramatic. I was driving to Ely for bloody hours.

big break 11 mins up the road
    Ineos bring it back to 5
    break splits into pieces trying to escape the catch
    Ineos down to two riders Bernal and Yates leading the chase behind
    Yates and Bernal attack the peloton (about 25 riders by now) with old one two
    Bernal gets brought back
    yates escapes takes roglic Mas and haig with him... Lopez caught out chasing, no one wants to help
    Bahrain drop back riders from the break to help Haig ..padun was in stage winning position is not happy but does his job

break gts pulled back one rider at a time unil only gibbons secs up the road left

Lopez group containing bernal loses 4 mins to yates/roglic group.. lopez climbs off in a huff

yates brings back gibbons by repeated attacks on final climb to try and win stage/drop haig on gc

yates attacks fail to dislodge haig..front of race is top 4 on gc roglic mas haig yates..they neutralise each other in final 2k of climb... riders from behind come up

ag2r Champoussin mugs the leaders for the stage in a hilarious "paper boying it for the win" move

Roglic 2nd yates 3rd Mas 4th haig loses a couple of secs 5th

bernal loses white jersey to Gino Mäder haig upto 3rd on GC yates upto 4th.

LOPEZ DNF
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

The best bit was Sean explaining how Roglic couldn't possibly lose the stage just as a bizarre gurning figure appeared and steamed past the leading group and off up the road.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    Has Superman turned up yet?

It’s a shame there isn’t a season 3 of the Movistar documentary coming up, this would be a riveting episode.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Pross said:

bernals interview was top shelf
    The guy is absolutely class.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    As an aside, despite the awful quest/gcn editing and ck, I'd say Orla is the best anchor of any programmes I see.
    And yes, she looks good too.