Light recommendations...

I'm after some light recommendations please on what to go for..

My use use is generally just road riding. Not really in the dark but want good visibility for safety.

I'm considering the Garmin Varia RTL515 for the rear light given its radar feature... Not sure I need the Varia for the front but looking for your expert recommendations as I am new to all of this...

TIA.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Yes, Varia rear.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Exposure lights ftw. Can’t go wrong getting one of those.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    I use the Halfords advanced 1600 on front (can often find deals for them on eBay, got mine for £35). I mount it under my bike computer on a GoPro mount, plus it doubles up as a usb battery, so great for all day rides in summer.
  • Exposure lights ftw. Can’t go wrong getting one of those.

Any particular model?

• The Exposure ones are probably over my budget which is a shame so I guess I could look at the Halfords 1600.. or some of the other models suggested.

Also, do you still need to house a rear reflector if you have a rear light.. I seem to recall the law in the UK is that you need both if riding in dark (not just the rear light).
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613

The Exposure ones are probably over my budget which is a shame so I guess I could look at the Halfords 1600.. or some of the other models suggested.

Also, do you still need to house a rear reflector if you have a rear light.. I seem to recall the law in the UK is that you need both if riding in dark (not just the rear light).

The law also states you should have pedal reflectors but you probably haven't got those either!

Seriously though, I would suggest always running at least two rear lights. Guards against the risk of one going flat, falling off etc etc.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited August 2021
    Ravemen lights (Front at least) are stunning quality, and they also double up as a handy little powerbank - I have both the 1200 & 1600.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Moon are hard to beat for value, have a look at the nebula for the rear. For the front there are lots of options but bear in mind that some of the higher powered options may be overkill unless you are riding on unlit roads at night and can also dazzle other road users as well as having a shorter battery life and being more expensive. You usually have the option to select a lower output mode. I have a moon lx 760 (760 lumens) and only need the highest output on unlit roads when it's pitch black.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    In my experience on unlit country lanes at night you need about 800 lumens to light up enough to see where you are going and potholes ahead. I have a Lezyne Macro Drive 1300XXL which I really used in anger yesterday on a 250mile ride.

I set off at 03:00 in darkness and sunrise was at 06:20. The manual says the battery will last 4hrs on 800 lumens. It has several other settings. I turned it down to 450 lumens under street lights to preserve battery. Orange light came on (50% charge remaining) at 05:00, so the manual seems to be correct. Got through to day break just fine. Then plugged it into my power bank to recharge it for nightfall. Sunset was at 20:00, night at 20:30. Same again, worked just fine, dropping to 50% charge just before I got home at 22:30.

As for rear lights, I always have two - one set to flash and another steady solid. As long as you don’t have them on max brightness they last ages. On flash my Cateye Rapid X lasts for over a day!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5895636212
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Yes, Varia rear.

^^^100% this^^^

Gamechanger.