Insults from your youth which are not used much today

C0ckwomble

Cretin

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Mong

Joey
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Wazzock
    Pillock
    Berk

I thought cockwomble was more recent. Joey was referring to the disabled bloke that often appeared on Blue Peter so is probably limited to people that were watching that in the right era.
  • Joey Deacon - sometimes accompanied by the arm movement. It's a bit like spaz, mong, flid (less common that one) etc in that in these more enlightened times we don't use disability as an insult - can only be a good thing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dirty crow or the less PC dirty Arab where popular insults at primary school in the 80's.

Describing people as dildos was popular one year I remember.

Moron
  • oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited September 2021

Wazzock
    Pillock
    Berk

I thought cockwomble was more recent. Joey was referring to the disabled bloke that often appeared on Blue Peter so is probably limited to people that were watching that in the right era.

I still use wazzock a lot; in fact I used it today in the probate thread.

It's an interesting word - there doesn't seem to be any reference to it in print before about 1975, whereas the similar pillock is apparently 17th century and means small penis (originally pill c**k). I first heard the comedian Mike Harding use wazzock in the mid 70's, and when asked, he has said he remembers it from the folk clubs in the mid sixties.

Moron, cretin and idiot were originally medical terms, to describe people with IQ's below certain thresholds. I can't remember offhand what they are but there was a definite hierarchy.

Berk is used as a mild insult but in fact it's about as rude as you can be about someone; it should properly be pronounced "bark", because it's Cockney rhyming slang for "Berkley Hunt".
  • Joey Deacon - sometimes accompanied by the arm movement. It's a bit like spaz, mong, flid (less common that one) etc in that in these more enlightened times we don't use disability as an insult - can only be a good thing.

Spaz is one from the past, you’d never get it past the censors now. Whenever backed into a corner, the good old “that’s what your mum said, or at least I think that’s what she said, but her voice was being drowned out by the shouting and high fiveing by all of the other people queuing up, and she was speaking with her mouth full”. That‘s a full house right there.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Southampton’s Walter Mitty. ;)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Are we sure this thread isn't just a stealth tactic by Bikeradar to further increase the reach of the dreaded swear filter?
  • mrb123 said:

Are we sure this thread isn't just a stealth tactic by Bikeradar to further increase the reach of the dreaded swear filter?

Nah, perish the thought.

• mrb123
    Nincompoop
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Popinjay.

Jackanapes.

Tatterdemalion.
  • mrb123 said:

Nincompoop

Nah, you’ve got to raise your game a bit there.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Most of the ones I remember refer to mental health, disability or race. We’re in a better place now these are recognised as beyond the pale (and I’ll admit to having used many of the first two categories).

But I think pillock and wazzock will always be useful, and afaik are made up and can only be earned. C*ckwomble is probably my favourite of the more recent additions.
  • Mad_Malx said:

Most of the ones I remember refer to mental health, disability or race. We’re in a better place now these are recognised as beyond the pale (and I’ll admit to having used many of the first two categories).

But I think pillock and wazzock will always be useful, and afaik are made up and can only be earned. C*ckwomble is probably my favourite of the more recent additions.

The world is a different place now, undoubtedly. Mostly for the best, admittedly. I’d love to hear what constitutes an insult in 50 years time, but I’m not sure I’ll still be alive then.
  • Bint.
  • webboo
    Bungalow.
  • Four eyes.

Square.
  • mrb123

Four eyes.

Square.

Wasn't it Specky Four Eyes?
  • mrb123 said:

Four eyes.

Square.

There were a few variations.

Spam was another. Reference to anyone with a high hairline.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    mrb123 said:

Four eyes.

Square.

Specky Four Eyed Git.
  • Nobsplat.

You very rarely hear the splat these days. I don't anyhow.
  • Chutney ferret.
    No longer pc...
  • Spacka
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300

Wazzock
    Pillock
    Berk

Berk is used as a mild insult but in fact it's about as rude as you can be about someone; it should properly be pronounced "bark", because it's Cockney rhyming slang for "Berkley Hunt".
    Indeed, my son was very surprised when I told him the origins of Berk, he thought it grounds to use it more often, but only when deserved.

• webboo
    Retreads
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Grommet.
    Dare say fairly niche though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited September 2021
    Tefal head for a clever person ( an old telly advert for Tefal products ).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I thumb my nose at you sir.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480

Chutney ferret.
    No longer pc...

Nor is rug muncher.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    d#ck splash