La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 17: Unquera > Lagos de Covadonga 185,8 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Mas is dangerous too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • CK wanging on about Spanish alliances without a mention for how they did for his co-commentator back in the day
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    edited September 2021

What's the forum consensus on Roglic riding with Bernal?

Going to look stupid if bernal drops him on the LdC ... But makes sense as he has a cushion on bernal ... He gains time on his closet on GC if he can stay close to bernal ... OTOH bernal has another day
    Yeah. Jumbo have a lot of bodies in the 2nd group on the road and if Bernal does drop him and put in minutes or so, then it looks foolish.

I guess with a 2 minute minute gap over Bernal I would have been less exciting and hidden behind my teammates and have Bernal dangle out on his own.
  • mididoctors
    Felix on the deck
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    Grossschartner's team car just drove straight past him!
  • Roglic could end the day with a 3 minute lead and Bernal his closest challenger.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Else you follow Bernal and not take turns to neutralise it, and dare him to ride for the podium.
  • mididoctors
    Yates to follow Haig and mas I guess
  • mididoctors
    Bahrain emptying the tank
  • rick_chasey
    Not convinced this is the best move from Roglic, though glad he is doing it.
  • mididoctors
    If bernal was closer on GC roglic helping would be really risky ... But roglic can distance everyone except bernal would be ok ..
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Roglic and Bernal onto the false flat before the official climb start I think?

Gap 1'37"....
  • Presumably it will be Jumbo's job to sit on any moves from Mas, Lopez or Haig....
  • mididoctors
    43kmh?
  • mididoctors

Presumably it will be Jumbo's job to sit on any moves from Mas, Lopez or Haig....

And Yates
  • Presumably it will be Jumbo's job to sit on any moves from Mas, Lopez or Haig....

And Yates
    Yes.
    Depends how far Poels and Caruso get up the climb too.
    The gap is still coming down...
  • mididoctors
    Wout poels can go along way
  • mididoctors
    Lovely climb this ..bit stiff in places
  • mididoctors
    Martin cracks
  • mididoctors
    edited September 2021
    Movistar have to make a move but seemed scared of Haig
  • rick_chasey
    Bernal and ROglic not really make any inroads so far.
  • bobmcstuff
    Gap seems to have gone back out slightly - was down to 1'18" wasn't it, now at 1'37"
  • Poels doing his old Sky/Froome job.
    Everybody behind just happy be be still there.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I can see Haig blowing up after all his team's efforts.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    Poels Fading
  • bobmcstuff

Bernal and ROglic not really make any inroads so far.

Wait and see if anything happens once the Bahrain domestiques drop I think.

Or if Roglic/Bernal start attacking each other.
  • bobmcstuff

Not convinced this is the best move from Roglic, though glad he is doing it.

Maybe he just feels really good..........
  • mididoctors
    Bernal looks stressed
  • bobmcstuff

Bernal looks stressed

He looks like normal to me - always does that hunched over head to one side thing.

Although he's leaving a reasonable gap to the wheel.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    Roglic opens a gap on Bernal