La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 17: Unquera > Lagos de Covadonga 185,8 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Odd sliding out again
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Bernal makes a move roglic goes with him ... Bernal persistent
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bernal blows up everybody with 60kms to go.
    Only Roglic able to follow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • popped downstairs to get a drink

Came back

WTF?!?!
  • mididoctors
    Roglic does not look that comfortable... Bernal prefers this cold weather
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited September 2021
    Is Roglic going to sit on Bernal's wheel for 60km? I think he might
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Is Roglic going to sit on Bernal's wheel for 60km?

Isn't he due to crash on the descent?
  • Bahrain train pulling the Jumbo train.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

Is Roglic going to sit on Bernal's wheel for 60km? I think he might

Yeah will not contest the stage if it comes to it
  • mididoctors
    Bardet anywhere?
  • mididoctors
    Descent is going to be crucial
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Re the cider round those parts. The waiters have a custom of pouring it out from a height into your glass. I assume the reason is to introduce a bit of effervescence into it. The net effect is that half of it ends up on the floor and the payments are all sticky as hell.
  • Vlasov out Odd down.
    2 separate spills on the same bend.
  • mididoctors
    Ouch! Vlasov down collar bone ... Odd down but back up
  • mididoctors
    Roglic working?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    OK I am up on Sporza and the commentators were delighted to see Roglic take a turn "ah, he's got good legs".
  • rick_chasey
    Either Bernal or Roglic have *very squeaky* brakes.

Roglic looking like he's pleased he's got someone to follow down.
  • Roglic now riding with Bernal after the descent is a smart move.
  • Roglic's disc brakes sound like an irate goose
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    All that work on aero details and then Roglic puts on dark glasses so he sticks them in the vents upside down while he's at 50-70kph.

I do wonder if all that aero stuff is psychosomatic with these riders - just so they feel their teams are doing everything. No-one's gonna say he lost time because he put his sunglasses in his helmet.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    DAMN was on a work call... I get off and Roglic and Bernal are 1'43" up the road??
  • Roglic's disc brakes sound like an irate goose

Marginally more interesting than his interviews, then.
  • bobmcstuff

Roglic's disc brakes sound like an irate goose

Marginally more interesting than his interviews, then.
    Freibe saying on the Cycling Podcast that Roglic has been notably more expansive/friendly in the mix zone than he has been before
  • mididoctors
    They are just riding away
  • rick_chasey
    What's the forum consensus on Roglic riding with Bernal?
  • What's the forum consensus on Roglic riding with Bernal?

I reckon it makes it a two man gc race, has 3 minutes to play with and he can beat him in the tt.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876

Roglic has almost two minutes on Bernal, therefore would be stiupid not to ride with him. They could eliminate all the other contenders, and then it's down to Roglic to maintain his gap over Bernal in the final few days.
  • bobmcstuff

I would think both of them have an incentive not to let the others' domestiques back in?

I think if Roglic is confident he can beat Bernal on the final climb then it makes perfect sense doesn't it? As it puts all the other GC guys way out the back.
  • mididoctors
    Disc brakes .....
  • mididoctors

Going to look stupid if bernal drops him on the LdC ... But makes sense as he has a cushion on bernal ... He gains time on his closet on GC if he can stay close to bernal ... OTOH bernal has another day