Vuelta 2021- Stage 16: Laredo > Santa Cruz de Bezana, 180km *SPOILERS*

2»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Quite a tricky lead out really - Jakobsen takes it.

Kirby was talking rubbish there again, saying Jakobsen was out of position when it looked fine.

That big Bora lad looked good.

I didn’t have the sound on when I was watching it, but I couldn’t tell which teams were involved as it was blurred and the camera cut away at one point. My first thought was is someone filming this on their phone.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

Quite a tricky lead out really - Jakobsen takes it.

Kirby was talking rubbish there again, saying Jakobsen was out of position when it looked fine.

That big Bora lad looked good.

At the finish I didn't have the 'joy' of listening to Kirby's commentary, and would agree with you that Jakobsen was not out of position, however he did seem to lose his lead-out train when Bike Exchange interspersed themselves into it, and it was no longer a train.
    But he then intelligently made the best of it.
    And had the luck that Trentin curved out too wide at the last bend, thus leaving the door to the finish fully open to Jakobsen – he was the fastest, but otherwise might have been blocked.

The big Bora lad, Meeus, has now had 4 top-seven placings this Vuelta, better than any other Bora, but I don't think he is really a sprinter, too big, and on a longer, wider straight to finish, most purer sprinters would pass him. But he is fairly fast and strong, and seems to position himself well. One for the classics?

Alpecin would be better off using Krieger as their sprinter instead of Modolo, i.e. the team had a role reversal.