Vuelta 2021- Stage 16: Laredo > Santa Cruz de Bezana, 180km *SPOILERS*

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,778
edited August 2021 in Pro race
In a rush
"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• mididoctors

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Last sprint stage .
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097

Last sprint stage .

Assuming the sprinter's teams want to control the race all day. Not sure who is left with the team to do that, apart from DQS.
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

Last sprint stage .

Assuming the sprinter's teams want to control the race all day. Not sure who is left with the team to do that, apart from DQS.

you could be right but really depends who infiltrates the break. if some guy threatening the top ten gets in a break wanty will chase. i think they are hoping for a top ten at the end.

maybe best for wanty to keep the break in range and elicit help from dqs. cofidis may assist

otoh hand wanty may get MEINTJES in the break which seems to be there sneaky plan b.

otooh too many teams want a break

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    andyp said:

Last sprint stage .

It's the only hope FDJ have as well, surely.
  • mididoctors

andyp said:

Last sprint stage .

It's the only hope FDJ have as well, surely.
    I forgot about them
  • mididoctors
    Demare has been making a right hash of the endings
  • kingstongraham
    Crash - Martin and Mas involved.
  • mididoctors
    Oh FFS
  • mididoctors
    FDJ taking control
  • mididoctors
    5 riders with 2 mins on the peloton ...best placed rider on GC Two hours down . Up to the sprinters to control
  • mididoctors
    See you all in a few hours ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Lonely work this, covering the Vuelta.
  • mididoctors
    People are burnt out ... forum has been in decline for a long time ....Youtube can supply all the analysis we used to have as a strong USP back in 2009 ... Cycling is a sport that requires explanation and there are myriad good sources for getting that. In the day before your lantern rouges and what not a lot of people would pop in here for insight .... Then brexit which caused deep rifts in this community hammered views flight of the gammons .... Covid brought a mini revival but now .... ?

On top of that This is not a stellar edition of the vuelta
  • kingstongraham

See you all in a few hours ?

Yes, if they're only being allowed a couple of minutes, there's no real risk of interest.

Looks likely to be mostly a tail wind then a head wind to finish, so worse news for the break. One for half an eye only.
  • kingstongraham
    Ciccone abandons.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097

Ciccone abandons.

He was involved in a crash earlier and cut his knee quite badly, according to the team.
  • mididoctors
    Break close enough for a rider to.try and bridge ...
  • kingstongraham

Break close enough for a rider to.try and bridge ...

Vanhoucke makes it across after attacking on the climb. Not sure why.
  • mididoctors
    Peloton splitting on unclassified climb . UAE. Putting pressure on .
  • mididoctors
    Sprinters struggling
  • mididoctors
    DQS having to chase
  • kingstongraham
    DQS back in, but if they are going to keep having to work to get back, there'll be no lead out left.
  • mididoctors
    Tougher finale than it looks
  • kingstongraham
    FDJ on the front nice and early, so they can disappear when Demare needs them.
  • mididoctors
    Oufff scary parcours .... Final 2 k was ...iffy ... Demare lost position again . Jakobson wins well
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021
    which they do. and Demare disappears with them. Finishes 16th.

Jakobsen takes it - a perfect gap appeared just when he needed it, from Meeus and Trentin.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Quite a tricky lead out really - Jakobsen takes it.

Kirby was talking rubbish there again, saying Jakobsen was out of position when it looked fine.

That big Bora lad looked good.
  • Finally tuned in for one. Glad I did - I'm fond of Jakobsen for fairly obvious reasons.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Interesting finish, very twisty.
    DQS did a great job to get Jakobsen back in when UAE hammered it up the climbs.

Big day tomorrow.